Scammed on Gumtree - Chance of recovery poor

Options
On 3rd March 2017 I responded to an ad buy a guy selling 4 x Amazon Fire TV boxes on Gumtree. We texted back and forth, I checked that they were boxes, not Firesticks and after satisfying myself regarding the item decided to buy one. I offered a PayPal payment, (I'm a longstanding eBay seller/buyer and PayPal user) but the guy declined saying it was too much of a pain waiting for PayPal approval so instead we settled for a BACS transfer of £40. He was agreeable, promising to send the item next day along with a texted proof of postage.

By Thursday 9th March nothing had arrived, he ignored my texts and attempts at phoning him. I contacted Gumtree, ('If you've been scammed contact us immediately' on their website help section), and had a live chat, they took details of the problem and then suggested that I wait another 7 days and come back to them if there was no joy.

On Thursday 16th March, no joy, I sent more texts and using a different phone spoke to him, as soon as I said 'I'm the guy who bought the Fire TV' he ended the call. I then had another live chat with Gumtree, by this time I had the Advert ID number, his bank account number (Halifax) and his phone number (Virgin Media). This was all shared with Gumtree but they can't/won't do anything as they are a classified advertising service. So my live chats with Gumtree seem to have benefited them by me providing details of a rogue seller, but no benefit to me.

I've contacted my bank and they will approach his bank and request a return of the £40, maybe this will happen maybe not. I am also considering contacting Action Fraud to report the matter as an internet fraud.

I know that I should not have used BACS but I did, lesson learned. I'm sharing this experience just to warn others but I would welcome any other ideas about how to recover the £40. I have some limited info as you can see and I do hope his bank will look at his account to see if there are other income streams that may be suspect.
So apart from the obvious advice any sensible suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2017 at 9:24PM
    Options
    I'm surprised your bank are prepared to contact his bank.
    I take it you've tried googling his phone number
  • Worrierwalker
    Options
    What did he mean by paypal approval?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where did he say he had got the boxes from? Remember these scammers have to be very plausible otherwise people would never respond to their adverts.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 March 2017 at 9:49PM
    Options
    Could have just gone to Amazon as they have the firesticks for £40.

What attracted to you looking at buying a firestick from Gumtree ?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As you suspect your money is almost guaranteed to be gone. In saying that I think reporting it to Action Fraud is absolutely the right thing to do.

Spread the word as widely as you can about avoiding BACS transfers unless it is to an absolutely trusted recipient such as a solicitor.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Could have just gone to Amazon as they have the firesticks for £40.

What attracted to you looking at buying a firestick from Gumtree ?

It's not a Firestick it's a Fire TV box and they are around £80 on Amazon.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LABMAN wrote: »
    It's not a Firestick it's a Fire TV box and they are around £80 on Amazon.

So they are, must be faulty glasses im wearing, must get these sorted.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Plus it was 4 units unless my glasses are defective too.

TBH I can't drum up much sympathy for somebody effectively paying £40 cash sight unseen for goods worth over £300.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    Plus it was 4 units unless my glasses are defective too.

TBH I can't drum up much sympathy for somebody effectively paying £40 cash sight unseen for goods worth over £300.
    Yes, your glasses are defective.
    The scammer listed 4 boxes at £40 each and the OP paid for one of these so they were paying £40 for £80 worth of goods.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    Options
    Down in the EBay section of the board(it does cover other selling places such as Gumtree), it repeated and repeated and repeated. Gumtree you go in person and buy face to face and pay money on inspecting the goods.

Never send money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport