PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Viewings while packing to leave

2»

Comments

• North4
    North4 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I can't really see what the problem is. Let the buyers come round and see the property as it is at that point in time.

Your tenancy agreement doesn't include a clause that you have to keep it as a show house does it? But it will say that you have a right to quiet enjoyment of your home, it's just unfortunate (from a presentation point of view) that your current enjoyment is packing your belongings into boxes!
  • EmsLdn
    EmsLdn Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lika_86 wrote: »
    Also, having thought about this, I'd have tried to agree in writing with the landlord that an end of tenancy clean isn't required on the basis that new tenants aren't going in but instead buyers who will take the property as it is.

We're doing the EoT clean to make sure we get our full deposit back. I wouldn't want to have my money docked because they wanted to pay someone to clean the property before it's sold. We're not dirty people but we also don't clean windows/behind cookers, etc., but the cleaners we've hired will. :beer:
    :hello: :footie:
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    North4 wrote: »
    I can't really see what the problem is. Let the buyers come round and see the property as it is at that point in time.
    Indeed, it seems almost as much hassle to start a thread here complaining about it as it would be just to let them pop in.
  • EmsLdn
    EmsLdn Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Indeed, it seems almost as much hassle to start a thread here complaining about it as it would be just to let them pop in.

Almost... but not quite.;)
    :hello: :footie:
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    It may be a bit of a pain for you to have people going about if you're packing, but I'm not sure why you are so concerned other than you're not comfortable with the notice? I can see why an owner selling up might not want to see the place in a state, but it has no bearing on you if the buyers see it full of boxes and might cause the buyers unease and the vendor stress for you to refuse, as they might worry there's something wrong. You may or may not care about that, but it seems like they have not been overly onerous in terms of their expectations of you, so I'd let this one lie.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You created a bit of a rod for your own back in keeping it 'show room' tidy previously, when there was no need to do so. Unless the relationship has irretrievably broken down already, it's probably not worth falling out with the LL or the agents now, especially given there's the matter of getting your deposit back....

With that in mind, I'd let the viewing go ahead, but make no effort to alter your packing activities (and associated mess!) whatsoever. You keep packing, the LL gets their viewing, everyone's happy. This is probably a case where you want to be strategic, rather than reasonable or unreasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure