Electric bikes?

Options
For the past couple of years I've been commuting to work by train, but they've recently built a new station on my connecting line and soon most of the trains will no longer stop at my station which will mean a long wait.

The other option is to take a single train, disembark at an earlier station, then it's about a 40 minute walk. This usually ends up taking the same amount of commute time as catching the connection, so with the new timetable, it would take less time.

I've been thinking about getting a bike to reduce the time and improve my fitness a bit. But as I'm out of shape, haven't been on a bike since I was 14 and there are some hills on the route, I was considering an electric bike. Are they worth the money and extra weight? Can anyone recommend a decent starter model?
Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March 2017 at 9:42PM
    Options
    codemonkey wrote: »
    For the past couple of years I've been commuting to work by train, but they've recently built a new station on my connecting line and soon most of the trains will no longer stop at my station which will mean a long wait.

The other option is to take a single train, disembark at an earlier station, then it's about a 40 minute walk. This usually ends up taking the same amount of commute time as catching the connection, so with the new timetable, it would take less time.

I've been thinking about getting a bike to reduce the time and improve my fitness a bit. But as I'm out of shape, haven't been on a bike since I was 14 and there are some hills on the route, I was considering an electric bike. Are they worth the money and extra weight? Can anyone recommend a decent starter model?
    A good place to ask those questions would be on The Pedelecs Forum.

Not sure whether you are considering leaving this electrically assisted pedal cycle at the station all day every day, but if so you will surely find it missing very quickly.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have Freego Hawk which I use for a 4.5 mile commute.

It is brilliant. Quite a hilly route but it really takes away the effort so I don't end up knackered before work or dread the ride home.

It is quite heavy and you wouldn't want to ride it without the assist

Not cheap but I got mine through the Cycle to Work Scheme.

Do you have a local supplier who you can arrange a test ride with?
  • codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    A good place to ask those questions would be on The Pedelecs Forum.

Not sure whether you are considering leaving this electrically assisted pedal cycle at the station all day every day, but if so you will surely find it missing very quickly.

Thanks. I'll take a look at that site. I'd be riding it to work so it would be left in a covered and cctv monitored shelter. Obviously I'd also be investing in heavy duty bike locks too. The other end, I'll ride it home.
    I have Freego Hawk which I use for a 4.5 mile commute.

It is brilliant. Quite a hilly route but it really takes away the effort so I don't end up knackered before work or dread the ride home.

It is quite heavy and you wouldn't want to ride it without the assist

Not cheap but I got mine through the Cycle to Work Scheme.

Do you have a local supplier who you can arrange a test ride with?

Thanks. We do have a cycle to work scheme, but it's with Halford I think. I think I do need to check out some models as I'm tall and have long legs. I don't want my knees at my chin.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    codemonkey wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll take a look at that site. I'd be riding it to work so it would be left in a covered and cctv monitored shelter. Obviously I'd also be investing in heavy duty bike locks too. The other end, I'll ride it home....

Does this mean having to take it on the train?

I would not want to take a non folding bike on a train (not sure if e-bikes fold) and I'd imagine an e-bike would be quite heavy.
  • codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't think about this. The trains have a special bit for bike storage and I don't travel on the commuter trains so there should be space, but that's no good if I can't lift the thing onto the train. Must check weights.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That's the sticking point. If you're taking it on the train, you'll need to lug it on and off, and that won't be easy. Everything else, I would say go for it. I started commuting with an electric bike (13 miles, rural, hilly, zero fitness level to start) and it was challenging but doable. My fitness soon improved and the weight fell off.

Mine is a Wisper 905 Classic, which isn't the lightest but it has coped with my 17->16->15->14 stone on it for 2000 miles. I am 6 ft and it is the perfect size for me. I have seen them in Halfords, so it's worth checking if they sell them (they didn't when I bought mine in 2014).

Only way is to visit some dealers, have a play, and see if transport by train is a possibility. If it is, don't hesitate.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    Does this mean having to take it on the train?

I would not want to take a non folding bike on a train (not sure if e-bikes fold) and I'd imagine an e-bike would be quite heavy.

This is a good question, if the bike is to be carried on the train it may well be it has to be a folding bike which there are electric versions of but I assume they'd be pretty heavy.

My Mum is retired and started taking up normal cycling instead of the car but didn't get very far with it however after having a shot of an electric bike she absolutely loved it. It's not like an electric moped where the bike does all the work, you still pedal it like a normal bike but it doesn't get any harder when climbing hills or into the wind. The adjustable power level means you can start reducing the power as feel fitter or bump it back it up when you're feeling tired.

If you're wanting to cycle all year round it can be hard going in poor weather particularly when it's cold, wet and windy which can hit motivation so you need to have a think about whether that's something you'd put up with or use the train on those days.

John
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just make sure you ask about the correct type of electric bike.
    Friends have electric ASSISTED bikes and they sound like what you want. You have to pedal and the motor then comes in to help. You cannot just sit there and use only the motor.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Electric bikes are less attractive to steal than ordinary bikes because the key to unlock the battery and the battery charger can't be stolen with the bike. Those that are stolen tend to be thefts of opportunity rather than 'professional' bike thieves.
    Buy a decent solid lock and a decent cable lock. Park the bike out of the rain. OK they are waterproof but leaving an electric bike out in heavy rain day after day is asking for trouble. For additional security you can remove the battery. Removing the battery is essential in sub zero conditions anyway. If you do leave the bike out in the open with no battery buy some WD40 contact cleaner to keep the connectors clean. Just clean the connectors once a month.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just make sure you ask about the correct type of electric bike.
    Friends have electric ASSISTED bikes and they sound like what you want. You have to pedal and the motor then comes in to help. You cannot just sit there and use only the motor.
    These are the only types that are legal in the UK. To qualify as a pedal cycle, the power 250W) and speed (25 kph/15.5 mph) are restricted and the user must pedal before the power comes in. If you can ride it without pedalling, or if it exceeds the power and speed limitations, it is classified as a moped and needs helmet, insurance, licence etc.

Some older ebikes have a throttle (mine has) which lets you power along without pedalling, but these are now illegal to sell. I can't see why anyone would want this anyway - if you want to tootle along without effort, get a proper motorbike.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure