Bailiffs Fees

Options
Hi I'm looking for some guidance and advice.

I have somehow inherited a debt by default from an old business partner who it seems has deliberately dropped off the face of the earth.

The debt is for monies owed to a former employee for a bonus he was offered by my partner. After the business was closed the employee went to a tribunal for the money, I was never informed of this but apparently my ex business partner was. Because neither of us turned up the employee won by default.

Fast forward 18 months, I received a knock on my door from a bailiff from The Sheriffs Office, they could not locate my ex business partner and so came after me. This was my very first knowledge of the case/debt, I had received no correspondence of any type prior to the home visit but the bailiff had copies of Court orders and I had no choice but to accept liability to pay the debt.

The debt amount was quoted as £920.00 which rose to 1,550.00 with fees added.

I paid £100 by debit card and arranged to pay the rest by Standing Orders of £50 on a monthly basis. I have never defaulted or been late to pay and have never heard from or been visited by anyone from the bailiffs office since.

After a number of months and having never missed a payment I had paid 29 conequtive payments of £50 plus the initial £100 debit card payment totalling £1,550. I contacted the Sheriffs Office for a balance expecting to be told it was paid up, however they said there was still £400 to pay.

At that point I requested a breakdown of the fees and was sent this statement from them.

THE SHERIFFS OFFICE
FEE BREAKDOWN

12 Compliance and Administration Fee £233.90
6.2(b) Auction Inventory Fee £59.15
1 Percentage Fee £25.06
2 Mileage Fee £50.00
3 Seizure of Goods Fee £2.00
12 Attendance to Seize Goods Fee £181.50
12 Case Allocation Fee NOS £12.10
12 DVLA Vehicle Check Fee £30.00
12 Debit Card Admin Fee £2.08
12 Annual Arrangement Management Fee £90.00

Total Amount £685.79
VAT applicable at 20%

Can anyone advise me as to whether these charges are legal?

I am now a single dad with four young children to raise on my own. My youngest child has a disability for which we receive no help at all but I am unable to do a full time job anymore due to my responsibilities with the children at home. The payments have crippled me financially for some tiime and the extra they're asking for has been a real body blow!

Many Thanks to anyone who can offer me some help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure