Gadget Insurance

Options
Hi,

I am a student and I am going to be travelling outside of Europe for a total of 35 days. I was wondering if anyone can recommend the best option of insuring my electronics against loss and theft for the trip. Eg. Student insurance/Travel Insurance/content insurance

I have tried looking at all three but all of them have a very nice way actually not insuring your goods or being over confusing.

I need to insure my laptop (£850 - need it to do work), Camcorder (£250 - to make annoying panorama videos for fellow students stuck in the library) and my phone (£250 - To annoy my parents and friends when I get bored) :D

I already have a gadget insurance for my laptop at £6 pm but its expensive for just one item and I want to cancel it.

Many Thanks

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is no simple answer as each has their pros and cons.

A decent Contents insurance with Personal Possessions cover would cover you on a new for old basis but with a £100-£200 excess its unlikely to be economic to claim if you lost just your phone or camcorder.

Travel insurance is ok but you may find issues with the single item limit and the laptop, it is probably on an indemnity basis rather than new for old and some policies dont cover mobiles.

Gadget insurance typically is fairly poor quality to get around all those "accidents" that happen the day after the next model is released of your kit and equally is often on an indemnity basis.
  • technopersia
    Options
    What do you think about 0 excess home content insurances?
  • bbk87
    bbk87 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Nil excess home insurance is fine, but make sure you have PP cover on it to cover you outside of the home.
    Aqua £160.00 / EE £289.60
    Total debt = £449.60
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do you think about 0 excess home content insurances?

Still need to cost compare the increased premium for a 0 excess which will be compounded in subsequent years if a claim is made.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure