The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • May I politely request that we don't go any further with the property discussions.

It breaks my heart everyday that we have to live like we do because of circumstances beyond our control. I shouldn't have to move if I don't want to. I shouldn't have to be a landlord if I don't want to. But should I live a $h1t life? Because do you know what... I don't want to.

I live in a victorian house, with victorian standard building work to which heathrobinson quackery solutions have been applied since the 1960's. Nothing is straightforward and nothing is simple. Getting tradespeople to return calls is difficult. Getting them to give quotes, near impossible. Getting them to do the work............

And now the law, which is supposed to protect the innocent is tying the everyman up in knots. Holding them up to a standard to which the unscrupulous are never held accountable. I don't want another mortgage, I probably would be refused one on the grounds of being so damn old! I just want to live my life, enjoy my family and do right and do good.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Huge great bundles of virtual hugs to all at Greying towers.

Old folk like me have always said "I don't know what the world is coming to" I suppose that when we are young we are often (but not always) too busy trying to earn a living, bring up the youngsters and make the money stretch around as best we can. Perhaps as we get older and slower, don't have the pressures and politics of the workplace to deal with etc we have more time and more awareness of just how $h1t life can be to many who just do not deserve it whilst so often the $h1ters just seem to get away with so much.

Much x
    MM
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hugs and LOTS of problem-resolving vibes heading your way. I have no doubt that you, DH and BG will make the best of your situation and be a happy little family - it's clear you have a capacity for appreciating the things that really matter in life. And we're always here if you need to vent :) (or bathroom tiles... I have spares in the garage, but it would need to be creative as there aren't enough of any one kind to do anything useful!)

In the meantime, I'm hoping you find the black bean and pumpkin recipe as I've been looking forward to it ever since you mentioned it...
  • Happy new diary me dear.

I hope its a happy dappy place.

We thought about the land lord thing and it got DH so grumpy we ended up getting tidy enough to sell, not perfect by any stretch. I wish you well in your endeavours me dear.

As always big hearted lady, you'll be amazingly mindful.

Seems to be the season of new diaries (equinox?) happiest of diaries to you.

Tonight its a baked reduced Camembert and reduced bread. Pity my waistline isn't also reduced.

:D
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Happy new diary dancing-smiley.gif?1292867580
    We look forward to your continuing adventures spock-smiley.gif?1292867680
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Happy New Diary GP!

So glad to be a part of your loving & creative corner of the tiniternet!

Duly subscribes to you whiney new diary!!!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

Tonight its a baked reduced Camembert and reduced bread. Pity my waistline isn't also reduced.

:D

Oh you demon! You've made me want to do that one day over the weekend now!!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Good evening :hello:

Thank you so much for supporting my diary v.3. I greatly appreciate it.

So, today was indeed a nsd :j we'll gloss over the fact that there ain't nowt in the coffers to spend anyway......... *ahem*.

Baby Greying and I did get out and about for some fresh air and exercise. Perhaps we should have walked a little further than we did, but no matter, we enjoyed ourselves.

I have still been unable to track down the actual recipe that prompted me to write 'Pumpkin & black bean chilli' on the planner. I am a numpty. I know that it was a couple of ingredients, that I knew that I had (pumpkin being one of them) that made me think *oooh, I'll make that*. But I am blowed if I can source it now :( I very nearly gave up on the concept altogether. It is 'lucky' that I bought 2 pumpkins from mrL. I tried preparing the one earlier this afternoon, it was a 'crown prince' type pumpkin. I have actually grown them myself in previous allotment-holding days, and like them very much. However, they can be deceptive in their ripeness. This one wasn't mature enough, and was very green on the inside (the flesh is orange on a mature pumpkin). I tried cooking it (microwave) and tasted it, but it was vile - I'm sure you all know what I mean when I say 'too vegetal'. The pumpkin is now residing on the compost heap :( Luckily, I had also bought a........ I think they are called harlequin pumpkins - they are the shape of a hazelnut, ribbed and are a splodge of colours - beige, orange green etc. Luckily, this was lovely and ripe, so we were 'on' again for pumpkin 'something'.

In the end, I plumped for a recipe which I know can't of been the one I originally had in mind, but a) it used yellow pepper - thereby giving me the excuse to use up my 10p barginacious specimen that I got from mrW last week, and b) it is in fact a slow-cooker recipe, and whilst I don't own one, I thought it may be of use to some SC owners on here.

What I did do though was to intentionally keep the pumpkin out of the chilli - as I didn't find the chilli too liquidy, and I steamed the pumpkin first and then sauted it off in a frying pan - to try to achieve a different texture. It crisped up and some went roasted colour, but I don't think the picture picks that up too well.

I know it sounds daft to do that ^, but I was after a buddha bowl rather than a bowl of chilli, so.........

The recipe that I followed (but cooked on the stove top, not in a SC) is HERE, picture here;

150_zpsuqiio3mi.jpg

I served it with brown basmati from the freezer, steamed brocolli, an avocado half, a tahini, miso, citrus (lime) & coriander dressing, with dry-roasted pumpkin seeds and chipotle chilli flakes scattered on top. I did also add both smoked paprika and chipotle chilli flakes into the chilli (not in the recipe).

Was it the best chilli I've ever had? No. would I make it again? Perhaps. I think I would use passata rather than chopped tomatoes - and if I was making it 'as' a chilli, I would incorporate the pumpkin in with the beans, possibly without sauteing it. Also, in line with Cheery's 'full-disclosure', I forgot to put honey in the tahini dressing. To say it was a bit zwingy is an understatement.....

I wonder how it would fair in the SC. I'm sure that the chilli officianados amongst you would perhaps be looking to add a mole or some worcestershire sauce........

I have now used the last of the frozen avocados from mrT that greenbee put us all onto. I liked this product. I am miffed that they have discontinued it. It didn't discolour (greenbee said it didn't), tasted OK cooked or 'fresh' and whilst a little pricey at £2.50, was actually worth the money. As, in the time that I have had those in the freezer, I have composted at least 4 'fresh' avocados that have gone rotten from the inside out :( That is at least £1.25's worth of produce that is inedible :( I would defiinitely buy a bag again if mrT re-stocked them.

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

that today was indeed another, and a better, day for, and with, Baby Greying :D

for listening to, and learning things from, MSE contributors :D

for changing to a more appropriate, rightful track....... here's to full-steam ahead :D

I will have another look for the 'original' pumpkin chilli recipe. I'm intrigued as to where it has disappeared to and what was in it that sparked my interest! :rotfl:Thank you for taking the time out of your day to support me here. It is appreciated, probably a great deal more than you realise.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27 wrote: »
    Happy New Diary GP!

So glad to be a part of your loving & creative corner of the tiniternet!

Duly subscribes to you whiney new diary!!!

:rotfl: Lawks, we're not even one page on and I've been cut to the quick........ :rotfl::rotfl: I'm choosing to believe that it was the autocorrect wot dunnit and you meant 'Shiney', but I know really you meant whine-y :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure