How do i go about seeking compensation myself

Please help and advise..... I live in a council property and they have contracted a company to complete repair work around the property.. there is scaffolding around property and over bank holiday weekend whilst outside part of a roof tile fell from scaffolding cutting my head I did not feel that it warranted emergency medical treatment but by Tuesday I was still in slit of pain so went to my local gp. I would like to claim compensation but don't wish to go through a no win no fee company please can I get some advise about how to go about this the correct way.
The accident has been reported and Tuesday health and safety visited me and took a statement they now say the incident is going to be investigated so what do I do next. Please advise

Comments

• Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    What loss are you seeking compensation for?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Matt1999
    Matt1999 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I am disabled so I do not work we cancelled a visit to family over bank holiday weekend, and I'm really anxious about leaving the house as either way out I have to walk under the scaffolding. So I havnt actually lost any funds foes that mean I'm not entitled to compensation as obviously there should never have been things left on scaffolding in the first place
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Mac1981 wrote: »
    I am disabled so I do not work we cancelled a visit to family over bank holiday weekend, and I'm really anxious about leaving the house as either way out I have to walk under the scaffolding. So I havnt actually lost any funds foes that mean I'm not entitled to compensation as obviously there should never have been things left on scaffolding in the first place

Will you be repaying the NHS for the treatment you have received?

You do realise that any compensation would come from public funds, either directly or via increased insurance costs?

Focus on ensuring the accident doesn't happen again by asking them to review their site safety procedures. That's got to be worth far more than some compo for yourself.
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 683 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Mac1981 wrote: »
    ...so what do I do next. Please advise

Isn't that really a question you should have asked the Council people when they came around to investigate?

What are you seeking compensation for? Not visiting your relatives? I honestly can't see you being awarded much for that.

(p.s. I'm nowhere near 100% sure this isn't a wind-up post. The talk of 'compensation' for something so minor; signing up to a money saving site to ask 'advice'; dropping in the seemingly unconnected disability mentioned in the second post. But maybe I'm just getting cynical as I get older!)
  • Wow thanks for your honesty there.... yes that is exactly what I am doing at the moment I am working with health and safety to ensure that the sites are safe for the public... I was asking advise as to weather IF I chose to seek compensation was I able to do it without going through a no win no fee company and if so where would I start.:(:(
  • Obviously a big mistake asking the question on here hey, I was just stating why I was unemployed not dropping in words..... I wouldnt say part of a roof tile cutting my head minor either, I was advised to ask on here so I knew I was going down the correct route with things that all
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Compensation is to compensate for financial losses that you have or will suffer.

If you haven't suffered any financial loss, then there is nothing to compensate.

This is not the USA where you can sue anybody for any perceived slight.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • Thanku for clarifying this for me I was unsure if I was able to claim because of the injury caused. I have slot more understanding and eyes opened from replies to this post thanku
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure