PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

In need of ideas for a nursery rhyme costume

Afternoon all,

DD has book week this week at school and needs to be dressed up as a nursery rhyme character on Thursday.

I still have last years litle red riding hood costume i made (that she claimed first prize in) but as she wants to win again (ok I want to win) i need to make something else.

Most parents send their children in shop bought costumes, and thinking about it this is the cheaper way to do it, but it is always the home made costumes that claim first place.

How old am i? :rotfl:

We have thought about little bow peep but apart from a dress and a crook i dont know what else i could make, for red riding hood i made a dress, gingham apron, red satin cloak, wicker basket etc i need something that takes a little imagination (can you tell i really want to win?)

The sewing machine is at the ready, my sister in laws mother owns a bridal shop so i can snaffle material, ribbon, props etc for nothing :D .

I wanted Abbie to go as humpty dumpty in an outfit i was going to make out of bridal dress hoops and material but she has refused point blank :rotfl: darn 6 year olds:rolleyes: .

Can anyone think of any ideas, and i will of course post a photo of the finished item when done (probably 3am thursday morning if little red riding hood is anything to go by).

Remember it needs to have a little imagination and i dont mind the work involved, the point after all is to win!

Bad, bad competitive mother:
Leigh xx
I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I won first prize in a fancy dress competition when I was 5 (1970). My mum made me a ladybird costume. Does that count as a nursery rhyme, I'm thinking of 'ladybird, ladybird fly away home....' ? Of course I learnt to read from Ladybird books:D sorry indulging in nostalgia :o

My costume was; black tights, a black sweater and a red tunic dress (sleeveless). It was an outfit wore to school and my teacher used to say if I had spots on my back I'd look like a ladybird. So, that's what mum did- appliqueed black spots on the back with a black line down the middle. She made me a little helmet-like black cap that did up under the chin. Final touch were some black pipecleaner feelers.

If you're handy with a needle you could easily make a red tunic. Pattern companies do loads of fancy dress patterns as I'm sure you know. There's bound to be one with a suitable hat pattern or you could just use a black headband with pipecleaners.
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    For Little Bo Peep, you would need a sheep on a lead.

How about Little Miss Muffet, hours of fun making a pipe cleaner spider.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Twinkle twinkle little star

or

Mary Mary quite contrary

or

Little miss muffet

or what are little girls made of

hope these are of some use
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • littleredhen
    or ride a !!!! horse - if she has a hobby horse

• sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    How about one of the three blind mice? You could dress her up in a mouse costume, and give her a white stick?
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • littleredhen
    oops just realised it has deleted the c word - i am sure you get my gist

ride a .... horse to banbury cross - just in case you don't

• littleredhen
    queen of hearts

ooh i am getting excited for you - do tell us what you decide on and good luck

• baa baa black sheep, the queen of hearts, this little piggy

Hope these give you some ideas.
  • sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Wee willie winkie in his nightgown with a candlestick
    Itsy bitsy spider
    goosey goosey gander
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • Mazcabs
    Mazcabs Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As a brownie we had to dress as nursery rhyme characters etc and my mum made 2 tea pots out of cardboard, painted / decorated them and then hooked them over me for 'I'm a little teapot short and stout'.

Just a thought
    Mum to 2 lovely boys who keep me busy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family