PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Using an open fireplace to cook indoors

I have a 1950s semi with an open fire. In the winter this is going almost every evening, and during the weekends it's going all day.

I keep thinking there must be some way to cook using some of the heat coming out, whether that is putting a pot on the hearth next to the fire or in the embers under the grate.

Does anyone do this and can give me some tips on how to do it, including any advice on pots to use?

Comments

• Runnerduck
    Runnerduck Posts: 3,146 Forumite
    I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped!
    i have cooked jacket potatos in the woodburner wrapped in foil but it needs to be low or they will burn, i'm not sure about an open fire, i cook completely in a woodfired oven in the winter and it's no good taking times from a recipe book it's trial and error but i can do full roast dinners with all the trimmings and bake all sorts of cakes now, i would use an old very solid pan myself
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We've done veggies such as potatoes, butternut (takes forever if whole!) and courgettes in foil parcels in the coals of an open fire. I bet you could cook other things in parcels, like a pork chop with a layer of apple slices to keep it moist, or a chicken breast with stir fry type veggies and a splash of stir fry sauce, or soy sauce and honey.

Use heavy duty foil if possible, and be generous enough to have a few layers. Try to keep them away from actual flames or the foil can catch fire!
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • Housewives in years gone by had a trivet that fixed on to the bars of the grate to keep the kettle on to heat water, I've seen them at antiques fairs not too expensive or you could find a trivet with legs to stand next to the hot coals in the grate and heat things in a saucepan on that. If you're cooking on an open fire, coat the outside of the kettle/pans with a film of washing up liquid, it makes it much easier to get the soot from the fire off them. It takes a very long time to get water boiling if it's not actually on a heat source but you should be able to heat things up fairly quickly by standing the pan as close as you can to the coals.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We always had a toasting fork hanging alongside the fireplace - and we'd often make toast.

During the power cuts of the 1970s I remember mum would put a heavy-bottomed saucepan on the fire to heat up tinned soup. She'd grown up in a house that didn't have an oven - when they wanted to bake stuff mum had to run it down to the bakehouse to be cooked.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    My grandparents used to have a curved trivet on legs that stood in front of the grate. The kettle was always kept on it so they had hot water and they would boil potatoes on the fire too. As far as I can remember it was about 4 inches wide so the pan or kettle was partly on the trivet and partly in the fire.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You can cook things in tinfoil as long as they are wrapped properly, fish can be cooked very easily. In our last house we had an open fire and a wood burner so we would often put a saucepan on top of the wood burner instead is using the stove.
  • Cast iron is best if you have it. The coals should be glowing rather than flaming, arrange the coal so the pan is secure and treat it like a hob.

This is the way I learned to cook as a small child. :eek: It was normal then, but I suspect nowadays I would be whisked to a place of safety. :D
  • jackel
    jackel Posts: 201 Forumite
    Back in the dark ages there was a program on the radio (Diddy David Hamilton) who had a spot on saving money. Someone recomended to wrap jacket potatoes in foil and put them in th ash tray to cook. Never tried it but the thread has revived the memory and I shall put it in the woodburner tray this winter. My grandmother very oftain put a saucepan of potatoes/veg on the fire if she ran out of pennies for the gas - it worked ! jac. xx
  • Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 August 2014 at 8:37PM
    Oh wow! Loads of good ideas.

I did try once to do jacket potatoes near the ashpan, but I think the fire must have been a bit hot because when I went back a few hours later there was nothing but a small piece of foil. The potatoes had been incinerated.

I remember seeing a blog once where someone hung a joint of meat from underneath their mantle so it spun slowly and cooked in front of the fire, but I have no idea what they used to hang it up with.

I have cats though, so I'd have to police a joint for hours or they'd maul it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure