Bit shocked by Lloyds

2»

Comments

• blitzboy
    blitzboy Posts: 477 Forumite
    ....money had been taken out of my savings account and paid into a current account which was overdrawn ( by £4).

.... I could have been somewhere needing petrol only to find what I thought was in the account wasn't.....

I'm confused. The money was moved from your savings account. Why would you be buying petrol from your savings account? Surely your example would only be relevant if the transfer was the other way around?

I can't see what the issue is to be honest, you borrowed without authorisation so they reclaimed it.
  • This isn't anything new from banks: had this happen to me by NatWest in the 1980's
  • It was unauthorised yes. Yes its in the terms and conditions. It just made me scared to think I could have been stuck somewhere with no money. I think I will be moving my non bills money to another bank to be on the safe side.

So you would have been stuck with no money had they not moved the funds across because the alternative would of been to decline your transaction and not let you have the unauthorised transaction? Therefore putting you in the same situation except with an overdraft fee?

I'm a bit shocked by your over-reaction to frankly a decent service.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • I don't mind paying it back / being charged or whatever. That's standard. Its the fact it was taken from an account where I was counting on every penny being there and with no warning. I literally could have been stuck with no money for petrol.

£100 on petrol? Thats quite a lot
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    The best thing is to keep a little float in your current account. Even £50 would be a useful cushion if you're not very good at keeping a spreadsheet.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    blitzboy wrote: »
    I'm confused. The money was moved from your savings account. Why would you be buying petrol from your savings account? Surely your example would only be relevant if the transfer was the other way around?

I can't see what the issue is to be honest, you borrowed without authorisation so they reclaimed it.

Because I would have withdrawn the cash using my cash card. I pay for almost everything in cash.
  • Fireflyaway
    Forumite
    So you would have been stuck with no money had they not moved the funds across because the alternative would of been to decline your transaction and not let you have the unauthorised transaction? Therefore putting you in the same situation except with an overdraft fee?

I'm a bit shocked by your over-reaction to frankly a decent service.

No not quite correct. The £4 over limit was not a transaction I had made, it was interest for using my authorised overdraft. I'm not charged overdraft fees for going over limit just interest.
  • Fireflyaway
    Forumite
    owen_money wrote: »
    £100 on petrol? Thats quite a lot

£100 was just to illustrate the point.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You have an overdraft at an agreed limit that you are paying interest on when you go over that agreed limit?
    You might want to post an SOA so people here can help you get out of your overdraft.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    When I was a youngster my younger brother stole £5 off me. I was livid. Then I found his wallet which had a fiver in so i took it back, and he moaned about a fiver going missing. Tough t*ts. Bank did the same, you took their money so they took it back off you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure