Not paid any tax for 5 years. Help

Options

Comments

• MrsNubs
    MrsNubs Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    OP I understand that you feel hard done by here but unfortunately you are responsible for sorting this out. The accountancy charges you quoted are not in any way unreasonable. If you don't know anything about business you NEED a good accountant to sort it out for you, and this will cost money. If you don't know anything about business you shouldn't have set up 3 limited companies without doing a lot of research and getting professional advice. I would find a good accountant asap, get everything in front of them and let them sort through it all. Unfortunately, this will probably be expensive as it seems there's a lot to sort! You won't be able to shift the blame to any other company here, you are responsible for managing your own limited company and ensuring the correct taxes are paid.
  • hgvdriverhelp
    Options
    MrsNubs wrote: »
    OP I understand that you feel hard done by here but unfortunately you are responsible for sorting this out. The accountancy charges you quoted are not in any way unreasonable. If you don't know anything about business you NEED a good accountant to sort it out for you, and this will cost money. If you don't know anything about business you shouldn't have set up 3 limited companies without doing a lot of research and getting professional advice. I would find a good accountant asap, get everything in front of them and let them sort through it all. Unfortunately, this will probably be expensive as it seems there's a lot to sort! You won't be able to shift the blame to any other company here, you are responsible for managing your own limited company and ensuring the correct taxes are paid.

thats funny you have said that ? 'you are responsible' because basically that is what the BBC have said to every driver that worked for think accounting-they made them pay back thousands i believe . and that my friend is wrong.
    I have only just come to realise the mess i am in because of these people and it looks like it didn't stop with 'think accounting' did it, because i am proof this is still going on.

The mess i am in has been a 'forced agenda' in my area for over 5 years. But when you need to put food on the table and you are 'forced' to work as self employed what is any working man going to do ?
    If i would have said 'NO' i will not sign up to your accounting firms and i had no other trade...where would i be ?

lets not forget this started in a bad recession .
  • hgvdriverhelp
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    £1,400 is not an unreasonable amount for an accountant to charge for his (or her) time, especially when your accounts are...shall we say...complicated. You say yourself that you are not a business man and do not seem to be confident sorting out the business end of things yourself. If you can't afford, or don't want, to pay for the services of an accountant then gather all the paperwork you can and contact Business Debtline.

That £1400 was the price i paid to another accountant to sort out the mess after i was taken for £7000 in VAT and £1500 in weekly fees that think accounting took to be my 'so called' accountants .
    After i paid the £1400 he wanted he then an extra £2500 for the following year because he said 'things were still missing. (six months worth of books)
    As a Lorry driver my wages haven't really changed much for 2 decades so when you have been taken for this much money it is very hard to find 'extra cash' to pay these 'rats' with a suit on.

now i'm starting to understand what has happened should big companies be allowed to do this ? I am not the only driver working for agencies like this there are thousands. we go to work every day, same place same time, wear a uniform. why are we 'forced' to be business men when infact after a few days of reading things on the internet, we should be classed as employees should we not ?

How can huge blue chip companies who clearly need a full time work force get away with making us all self employed?

I can understand the self employed status if i was working in all different locations on different contracts but the company i have worked for have kept us doing the same job as we did when we worked for them as employees ?

I am going down i whole different avenue now and this question isn't really helping me but i believe i am right . If thousands like me are doing this and i am the first to realise what is going on? How much is this costing and who gets the bill!
  • hgvdriverhelp
    Options
    For those who don't know what 'Think accounting' did was this.

We were the first (the BBC has not met us)

We worked for a Blue Chip Company and the company was losing money because the Managers were incompetent.
    To hide the fact that they spent all day playing golf and eating foot long sausage rolls there targets for the year were well out so they forced every HGV driver working for a certain agency to become self employed.
    They did this by offering good work, then laying them off, then they would get the agency to ring them and say 'Think accounting' drivers get lots of work all the time and they never get let down.

Think accounting charged £20 per week per driver to do 'there books' but they also kept the VAT and to this day i still don't know how that works yet but it's what these 'agencies' want.

some drivers have now said the VAT Alone is about £7000 per year, so add that to the £20 per week and then add Think accounting doing everything wrong to another accountants bill then an extra £1400 is a lot of money on a £30k a year job.

Times that by thousands of drivers?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I understand that you are aggrieved, I would be too if I got caught up with Think Accounting. Forget about what you can't control and focus on what you can control. Contacting Business Debtline for advice is something you have control over so do that.
  • hgvdriverhelp
    Options
    Another interesting thing which i have just read is the word 'Gig Economy' but does this really fit my trade or help me with my outlandish circumstances.

If a HGV driver works for XXX every day
    Wheres a XXX Uniform
    Works a guaranteed 45 hours per week (but is made to work more)
    Has to book holidays
    Starts the same time and finishes the same time
    And if he does this for 4 years ?

Is that what is called a "Gig Economy' worker or an employee ?

But what if that same worker has to buy his own uniform, gets unpaid holidays, unpaid sick, and if he works for anyone else he is sacked ?

I hope you guys can see where i am coming from with this because it's not just me worried about this, like i said there are thousands working just like this and we have been for years - and just like me they don't realise that we can't really be self employed at all can we ...until now?

Unless we lie of course and pretend we are business men?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why would you have to lie and pretend you are business men? You don't need to pretend to be something you are not. I am an engineer and like accountants being good at maths is part of my skill set that doesn't mean that I am au fait with tax rules and regulations so rather than pretend otherwise I pay a qualified accountant because that is in their skill set. I don't listen to a friend or get some lad from work to help set up a limited company I pay for advice from a fully trained and qualified chartered accountant.

I understand that Think Accounting was when your problems started but you have exacerbated things by winging it, trying to set up this company and that company when by your own admission you have no idea what you are doing. Continuing to blame everything on Think Accounting is not going to help you move forward.
  • hgvdriverhelp
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    I understand that you are aggrieved, I would be too if I got caught up with Think Accounting. Forget about what you can't control and focus on what you can control. Contacting Business Debtline for advice is something you have control over so do that.

Hi thanks i agree i have to start somewhere i suppose but i am very angry that after think accounting my problems just seem to have got ten times worse and its because i am not a business man.
    It seems to me that the agency i have worked for after think accounting has just done exactly the same thing but ten times bigger.

Im an honest man, i just wanted to earn a living, what i and thousands of others have been put threw with this 'agency' now is beyond think accounting .

I also have just been made aware that the 'agency' is actually the blue chip company.

You can't make it up can you?
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP as a limited company you would pay less tax. People at my work are on that basis. Basically your company employs you and pays you a wage (at least minimum wage) and you pay income tax on that. You can then pay yourself a tax free dividend. You then pay tax as a company. What may be of concern for you is IR35. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ir35-find-out-if-it-applies.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • mr_munchem
    Options
    thats funny you have said that ? 'you are responsible' because basically that is what the BBC have said to every driver that worked for think accounting-they made them pay back thousands i believe . and that my friend is wrong.
    I have only just come to realise the mess i am in because of these people and it looks like it didn't stop with 'think accounting' did it, because i am proof this is still going on.

The mess i am in has been a 'forced agenda' in my area for over 5 years. But when you need to put food on the table and you are 'forced' to work as self employed what is any working man going to do ?
    If i would have said 'NO' i will not sign up to your accounting firms and i had no other trade...where would i be ?

lets not forget this started in a bad recession .

OP- the problem is you were (it seems) a Limited Company Director and therefore you are legally responsible for these things.

Pay a good accountant and get this sorted; that's the only way to sort this.

Sorry it's not an overly nice response, but that's the conclusion here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure