The ups, downs, and occasional sideways bits of trying to be mortgage free

Options

Comments

• armchairexpert
    Options
    Tahlullah wrote: »
    Ooh, when I was younger, I used to dream of folding the laundry in front of the TV. So jealous!

Payday! Something great to shout about! Don't let these small victories pass you by.

Tx

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    No mistaking that it's mid winter now. Mid winter here isn't as fierce as there, obviously, but it's barely climbing to 10 degrees during the day, and we have all the heaters going inside (no central heating in Aus, so it's a matter of turning on the gas heater in the lounge, lighting the old wood oven in the kitchen and hoping the heat gets through the house!). We're dog sitting for the week, so lots of brisk country walks with our breath puffing out in front of us. It has the merit of being free.

Cheap weekend all round in fact: yesterday was dog walking and groceries and house cleaning, today I'm working and Mr E is making a papier mache Mr Tickle costume with the girls for Book Week because I guess he's that kind of parent? I'm far more of a "here, carry a pile of books, now you're Matilda" kind of person but whatever keeps them happy. Most expensive thing all weekend was a Friday afternoon cafe trip to celebrate school reports. Yep, it's the end of the term, with two weeks of holidays and no activities planned in front of us!

Gorgeous laksa for dinner Friday night: I bought a ready made paste ($4) from the speciality Asian grocer, which is cheating but it meant I got to use up a couple of cubes of fried tofu, a few fish balls and the last of some cold roast chicken and it was as good as a takeaway. Half the broth is in the freezer for next time, because it served 4 but was too spicy for the girls so they had a fishball, seaweed and noodle miso soup instead. Salmon poke and avocado miso salad last night. Roast lamb and gravy and all the trimmings tonight, and looking forward to it!
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    Mr Tickle? How will he make the arms?
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Sticks, I gather? So her entire body is going to be encased in this enormous papier mache oval, with holes in the sides out of which she will poke long sticks with gloves on the end?

I don't really think either of them have thought through the logistics of how she's going to function at school in this contraption, but I'm staying out of it!

The sky is blue today! I'd almost forgotten how pretty that colour is. I have even optimistically hung out some clothes. Mr E took off this morning for a four day jolly-I-mean-conference, so I'm looking forward to uninterrupted control of the remote and lazy meals.

On the downside: after finally, finally switching my phone contract over to a sim-only plan, I dropped my phone and smashed the screen yesterday. So now I have to either repair the screen or replace the phone. Replacing the screen is obviously cheaper (about $70) but it's an old phone now (iPhone 5c) and the battery life is pretty dodgy. I will do the screen I think, but then I have to start saving up in earnest for a new phone. I want an iPhone SE, which are about $400-500 now. I don't need new and shiny tech, just something that will keep working for a while. It's a tax deductible expense for me, at least.
  • Tahlullah
    Options
    2 steps forward, one step back. Still the right direction of travel.

Tx

Owed at the end of -
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Various children shrieking in my back garden at the moment. Visiting dog must be tired: he's eschewed the company of the shrieking children in favour of flopping next to me for a nap on the couch. Between Visting Dog, two cats, a bunch of chickens, various visiting children and my own offspring, I feel like my day has just been feeding and wiping up spills!

Had other various children here yesterday plus my business partner for a Very Exciting tax conversation. Am mildly concerned that my tax affairs are going to turn out far more complicated than I thought, but the accountant will clear that up for me next week. I keep a huge percentage of my income aside for tax, way more than I'll need, so there is room for errors. Hopefully there will be no error, and I can shift $10K across to the mortgage, but one never knows.

Have decided to see if I can buy a thin cover for the iPhone, thus protecting the cracked screen from disintegrating further, because it does still work but it's so badly cracked I worry about chunks of glass falling out. That should only be $10-20, then I can save up for a slightly newer model.
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Sun is shining, dog is walked, children are making craft projects while I try and work. Tonight they're at their Nana's, and Mr E is still away, which I think makes it the first/only time I have been completely alone in the house overnight for 9 years. Feel like I should do something, but not sure what, and also I don't like leaving Visiting Dog alone for too long because I worry that he'll get insecure. So I'll probably buy some ice cream and watch a movie on the couch, tbh.

Lots of transactions appearing on the statement from the city where Mr E is, I'll wait to find out how many of them are refundable (hopefully all of them!) before I worry about it.
  • Tahlullah
    Options
    Sounds like he is having fun. You enjoy you 'me' time too!

Owed at the end of -
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Apart from a few fairly inevitable school-holiday spends (trip to the dollar store for cheap craft items, a cafe stop) it's so far shaping up to be the cheap month I've been hoping for. Except an $800 bill that's the beginnings of the repair costs on the rental unit, due by the end of August. Groceries are rolling along quite nicely - going to make a huge tray of roasted vegetables tonight, probably with some sausages and/or bacon - I talked Mr E into waiting another month before buying a replacement coat for the one he's managed to destroy (ie, we'll do a patch job until the winter coats go on spring sale) - all the July bills are already paid - all is well.

Interest rate went up again though. That's twice in two months which I think is outrageous. Need to get the refi through.
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Good morning! Nothing at all to report here. Mr E came home last night and is spending the day with the kids while I catch up on work. Kids very happy. Dog still here. Mr E slightly less keen on the concept of walking the dog than I had hoped, but I have approximately 14 hours of work to do today so tough.

Most of his spends from the trip away are reimbursable (it's mostly meals) and the few that aren't (beer!) will just come out of his personal spends, so I am ignoring the red bits on YNAB and being patient for reimbursement.

Managed to patch his coat up, but it doesn't look very good now so he's going to go explore the sales. Which will put us over budget on clothing again since he already bought a new shirt and a pair of pants earlier this month. I had no idea we spent so much on clothes! But there we are, I guess: I honestly don't see how we could do it much more cheaply, it's only things being bought when they're frayed or too small, and usually in the sales, there's no buying-for-boredom going on. I try and do charity shops but it's time consuming, and Mr E won't contemplate it. The girls' stuff comes from Kmart (= Pr!mark) supplemented by charity shop finds and things the grandparents gift them. Mr E definitely has more expensive tastes than the rest of us, but also he's the one with an office job, so he has to have half-decent stuff.

Anyway, I'm just thinking aloud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family