Options
2»

Comments

• BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    [...]it very clearly prompts you to have to sign back in to complete the process
    I'd forgotten about that, but I don't think it is so much that you have to sign back in, but asking to re-enter your ID and password is like a digital signature of the doc you're submitting.

It forces you to confirm that you're done with entering information and ready to finally submit - just to prevent a casual submission in error "oops, I wasn't done with it, I hadn't meant to submit it yet" sort of way. As you say, people tend to click to readily without reading. Asking you to re-enter your password to confirm the finality of that process is a sensible precaution.

I have to do the same with my on-line banking when I make an FPO payment - I get a summary screen and have to enter my password to complete that payment.
  • ZZaffy
    ZZaffy Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure what I did not do. But HMRC rep said something about login again.
  • ZZaffy
    ZZaffy Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It seems, I failed to do a simple task. Lesson learned.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking too. I was a first-time online filer this year. As you say, when you click to submit, it very clearly prompts you to have to sign back in to complete the process (I presume that's what the OP means y being "locked out").

It depends on how your computer is set up. When I file for a friend (I do my own on paper) the request to re-enter the password is off the bottom of the page & is easy to miss.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ZZaffy wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. It seems, I failed to do a simple task. Lesson learned.

As you've admitted your mistake and prepared to take your fine....

I would appeal to their better judgement as they will be able to see your form was complete and unaltered in August, and you forgot.

Just be polite, tell them it's your mistake but it's simply a missed button push and not you being tardy. You never know, you may get someone with a better nature.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-appeals/penalty
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    As you've admitted your mistake and prepared to take your fine....

I would appeal to their better judgement as they will be able to see your form was complete and unaltered in August, and you forgot.

Just be polite, tell them it's your mistake but it's simply a missed button push and not you being tardy. You never know, you may get someone with a better nature.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-appeals/penalty

I'd agree with this - nothing to lose. Especially if this is your first time filing online, you have a chance of success.

Considering the list of excuses HMRC publicized recently** for people filing late (many of which were successful), I think you have a case.

** [none of the appeals below was successful]
    My pet goldfish died (self-employed builder)
    I had a run-in with a cow (Midlands farmer)
    After seeing a volcanic eruption on the news, I couldn’t concentrate on anything else (London woman)
    My wife won’t give me my mail (self-employed trader)
    My husband told me the deadline was 31 March, and I believed him (Leicester hairdresser)
    I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play (Coventry writer)
    My bad back means I can’t go upstairs. That’s where my tax return is (a working taxi driver)
    I’ve been cruising round the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land (South East man)
    Our business doesn’t really do anything (Kent financial services firm)
    I’ve been too busy submitting my clients’ tax returns (London accountant)
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    I did my account in July but didn't actually get around to doing the return until I received a reminder email from HMRC sometime in January. I did it the next day so keeping the email address up to date works very well, may save somebody else making the same mistake as the OP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure