PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor not found a house in two months and a dream house cheaper just came to market

Comments

• NinaSwiss
    NinaSwiss Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Dude, seriously. All's fair in love, war and house-buying at least, in England and Wales. You could, in theory, have seventeen offers in at the same time all on houses in the same street and just wait to see who was ready to complete first. I would not recommend it in any street where the neighbours still actually talk to each other but it would not be illegal.

Take this from one who knows, please. When it comes to house-buying, no-one (but no-one) is looking out for you except you. Do you really think the vendor of House 1, House 2 or House(s) yet to be viewed will be acting in anyone's interests but their own? If they accept your offer then get a better one, do you think they will refuse it? Please, wake up!

Why do you care about the feelings of someone whose house you want to buy? Are they a personal friend? No? All they want is your money; they don't give a rat's rear-end about your feelings or how much money you waste getting surveys/legal stuff done only for them to sell to someone else. Until you and they have exchanged, you do not have a leg to stand on.

If you are concerned about areas then the evidence of your own eyes will never be bettered but, if you want a broader view, there are various "crime maps" available. Personally, I always use the police.uk one as it shows whether anything was actually done about a reported crime. HTH and good luck... If you wise up.

I totally agree with this having been through the dog-eat-dog process to realise everyone in it is ultimately looking after number one.
    Working towards:
    [STRIKE]*House Purchase (2015)[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE] *Top-up pension (2016)[/STRIKE] [STRIKE] *Clear CC (2016) [/STRIKE]
    *Mortgage
    Overpayment (50% LTV by Jan 2020) *Clear student Loan(by Jan 2020)[STRIKE]*Save for a Car (2017)![/STRIKE]
    *Making the most of life!!!
  • NinaSwiss
    NinaSwiss Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2017 at 2:39PM
    So what should they do if the first vendor finds a place (and has an offer accepted) after they've had an offer accepted on the second place but is still awaiting a survey? I don't think it's right to not disclose the second offer at this point as the first vendor may be busy arranging their own survey etc on the basis that the chain is complete.

I don't see any issue in looking at offering on other properties but once you've had a firm acceptance on the second house (and they've stopped advertised etc) at the very least you need to disclose that you're pursuing a second offer to the first vendor.

In the OP's position I would still do as I highlighted. On the very slim chance of the vendor getting/accepting an offer whilst I await a survey then I might (might) inform vendor I no longer wish to proceed. That should not stop them accepting an offer on their house whilst they find someone else. There isnt much to re-advertising a property. It happens all the time as alot of purchases fall through. Perfectly normal in the housing market.
    Working towards:
    [STRIKE]*House Purchase (2015)[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE] *Top-up pension (2016)[/STRIKE] [STRIKE] *Clear CC (2016) [/STRIKE]
    *Mortgage
    Overpayment (50% LTV by Jan 2020) *Clear student Loan(by Jan 2020)[STRIKE]*Save for a Car (2017)![/STRIKE]
    *Making the most of life!!!
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    NinaSwiss wrote: »
    There isnt much to re-advertising a property. It happens all the time as alot of purchases fall through. Perfectly normal in the housing market.

I seem to recall 40% of sales fall through, from an ep of whichever Phil/Kirstie prog but don't quote me; it may be higher.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So why exactly do you think house 2 is better if it's smaller and further from work?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    nicos42 wrote: »
    Either me or vendor have not spent money. Two months later he has not seen any houses he liked and regretfully i found a perfect cheaper house. I do feel very bad about it

Would you feel guilty if you went into Tesco to buy a Pizza then found one you liked more in Asda and bought that instead? No.

Other than the monetary amount involved it is literally nothing more than that decision. The vendor quite clearly doesn't feel any guilt about keeping you hanging around until they decide they've finally found a house they'd like which could be months or years.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    these can't be the only 2 houses available.

Also seem a long way from each other don't you have a focused search area?

Neither is sounding ideal.

I think you may need to understand your own priorities much better.
  • nicos42
    nicos42 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Why i think house 2 is beter than 1st one?
    Because is in a town I love, is very close to work like 10 minutes, my gym, my doctors and all friends are nearby.

House 1 is much further because of my budget was not high enough to buy in the town i love and because i want a house not a flat i had to extend my search. Neigbourhood is very clean, afluent but families, nothing around and the town is 6-7 miles away.

It just happened that by chance i got an email from rightmove and house 2 was advertised. And is in the town i love and is 20k plus cheaper than house one and vendor wants a quick sell because of buying with partner a bigger place and he moved in with her.
    He did the house up to high standard, is a quirky victorian terrace and yes i do need to add a downstairs toilet and customise it a bit. Because is close to town centre is street parking and very busy and at the back on a right of way alley some people has dumped rubish like matresses etc...
    But i always wanted to live near to this town's centre and only gave up looking because i couldnt find anything but one bedroom flats for my budget.

I agree i have to look after my own interest and I now think after reading all the great advice is to wait and see if vendor 2 is accepting my offer and he is actualy progressing with the sell.
    I visited the street near house 2 a few times and us quiet and safe. I ordered myself a property report from zoopla and looked on police website and is a good neighborhood. Yeah couple of neighbours are not very house proud living with dumped matresses at the back of the garden and parking would be stresful. But i can clean up the alley way myself. I just had a very good vibe as soon as i entered house 2. I could see myself living there.
    I did not had this feeling at all about house 1 it is just a stepping stone to get on the ladder but i cant see myself living there for years and years.

Vendor 1 in did has had his time and i know what area he wants to move to and he only wants one area. Not many houses for sell there. Only 2.
    So i think if i get the offer accepted on house 2 i ll give vendor and EA a call and tell them i m looking at options.

My only major concern with house 2 is the on street parking but vendor says they never had issues finding a parking space not always in front of house but on the road.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I wish the first vendor was motivated it.

Proprty isn't like buying a car. Houses don't suddenly materialise. Until some sells then there's nothing to buy. The seller of the property up the chain may well need to buy. Therefore your wait is far from over.
  • Hey nicos42

Have you seen the House Buying guide yet?

We have a lot of tips in there that should help you.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    My only major concern with house 2 is the on street parking but vendor says they never had issues finding a parking space not always in front of house but on the road.

Is there the possibility of getting a dropped kerb/driveway done on this property?

When you say it is close to the town centre, is there a likelihood that the council will make your street resident permit holders only?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure