PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor not found a house in two months and a dream house cheaper just came to market

Comments

• Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    and progressing well, even as far as the survey.

The first offer is just that nothing has even started, the acceptance is just a place holder for the vendor, if prices are moving up they could well reconsider if they think there is more to come.

if you would no longer buy the first one if this new one fell through then pull out earlier.

if the EA finds out and asks, you tell the truth, you could not wait for ever and were waiting to be sure there would be no issues with this new one you found before withdrawing.
    (don't mention you want the new one more).

This is one I disagree with. House buying as we all know is hard and unpredictable but to have 2 accepted offers going side by side for a period of time although can be done it's not one I would recommend especially where the OP obviously cares about not wanting to pee off people.
  • Vendor of house 1 has had two months - so I would say you've given him a reasonable amount of time to find somewhere and he still hasnt.

In those circumstances - I'd offer on the dream house.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Mickygg wrote: »
    This is one I disagree with. House buying as we all know is hard and unpredictable but to have 2 accepted offers going side by side for a period of time although can be done it's not one I would recommend especially where the OP obviously cares about not wanting to pee off people.

They are not going to be going side by side for a period of time,

The first offer is yet to have a proceedable acceptance.
  • NinaSwiss
    NinaSwiss Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OP, if I were you I'd offer on the second house and wait till the survey is completed (with no red flags) before withdrawing offer on the first property.

It sounds like you were not planning to proceed on the first property till the vendor notifies you that they have found a place to buy. So I doubt that the timing of your withdrawal will make much of a difference when vendor hasen't even found a place.
    Working towards:
    [STRIKE]*House Purchase (2015)[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE] *Top-up pension (2016)[/STRIKE] [STRIKE] *Clear CC (2016) [/STRIKE]
    *Mortgage
    Overpayment (50% LTV by Jan 2020) *Clear student Loan(by Jan 2020)[STRIKE]*Save for a Car (2017)![/STRIKE]
    *Making the most of life!!!
  • It sounds like you were not planning to proceed on the first property till the vendor notifies you that they have found a place to buy. So I doubt that the timing of your withdrawal will make much of a difference when vendor hasen't even found a place.

So what should they do if the first vendor finds a place (and has an offer accepted) after they've had an offer accepted on the second place but is still awaiting a survey? I don't think it's right to not disclose the second offer at this point as the first vendor may be busy arranging their own survey etc on the basis that the chain is complete.

I don't see any issue in looking at offering on other properties but once you've had a firm acceptance on the second house (and they've stopped advertised etc) at the very least you need to disclose that you're pursuing a second offer to the first vendor.
  • nicos42
    nicos42 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I got a clearer picture as a first time buyer thank you all.
    I went for a walk this morning to see how long it takes from town centre to house 2.
    I spotted an alleyway full of dumped rubish like matresses, old rags and bags. The alley way runs at the back of the garden of house 2. So now i m worried about bad neighbourhood.

The EA also told me that is no problem to find parking but going for a walk this morning there was nowhere to park a tiny car on the street. Cars parked on both sides which worries me too.

But House 2 is in Surrey 40 minutes to london, house 1 is in Hampshire 80 min to London and is 10 minute from work, 15 walk to my gym, cinema in a gorgeous small town.

House 1 has parking, is massive and has en suite, and toilet downstairs and an extra bedroom. Two parking spaces but very remote like 5 miles out of town.

I m literally torn apart size over location, parking versus no parking, potentially uncarrying neighbours who dont mind having dumped rubish at the back of the garden versus a salubrious end terrace very nicely maintained nee house.

I wish the first vendor was motivated it. But i domt think he is. He s only moving the other side of the same town so is bo rush for him at all. And what upsets me is that when i put the offer on the EA told me he alreasy had places on the book.

Is toughest decision ever.
  • nicos42
    nicos42 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    *sorry for typos is my phone going mad
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    house 1 only 10 minutes from your work, How far away is house 2 from work.

How long would the commute be every day compared to what you do now? or would you be looking for work closer.

How important is it to you to be close to London? How often do you need to be in London? Is this work or social? if social will you be able to go so often once you have a house to maintain/pay for?
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dude, seriously. All's fair in love, war and house-buying at least, in England and Wales. You could, in theory, have seventeen offers in at the same time all on houses in the same street and just wait to see who was ready to complete first. I would not recommend it in any street where the neighbours still actually talk to each other but it would not be illegal.

Take this from one who knows, please. When it comes to house-buying, no-one (but no-one) is looking out for you except you. Do you really think the vendor of House 1, House 2 or House(s) yet to be viewed will be acting in anyone's interests but their own? If they accept your offer then get a better one, do you think they will refuse it? Please, wake up!

Why do you care about the feelings of someone whose house you want to buy? Are they a personal friend? No? All they want is your money; they don't give a rat's rear-end about your feelings or how much money you waste getting surveys/legal stuff done only for them to sell to someone else. Until you and they have exchanged, you do not have a leg to stand on.

If you are concerned about areas then the evidence of your own eyes will never be bettered but, if you want a broader view, there are various "crime maps" available. Personally, I always use the police.uk one as it shows whether anything was actually done about a reported crime. HTH and good luck... If you wise up.
  • Debtslayer
    Debtslayer Posts: 447 Forumite
    I would always choose better area over size of house, there's no way I could live in a big house in a bad area. I want to be able to feel safe an comfortable around the neighbourhood
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036:eek: Target MED: 2026 ;)
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £684.80
    MFW No 124 :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills