Restaurant Discretionary Charges

Options
I’m tired of restaurants adding ‘optional’ service charges to final bills and making customers feel awkward and under pressure. Tips should be optional and at the customers discretion. I have started a petition with 38degreee. If you feel the same please sign up.

Comments

• SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    edited 1 October 2017 at 10:58AM
    Options
    The rule is simple. If a service charge is clearly advertised - such as on an A-board outside the restaurant, or printed on the menu displayed in the window - then it forms part of the contract between you and the restaurant and you should pay. If you don't like the concept - then walk away and find another restaurant. If there is no service charge advertised, then it should be optional whether you choose to tip or not.

If the restaurant kicks up a fuss at the point of presenting the bill, then you politely ask them to show you where notice of the charge is clearly visible for customers to see, then pay the bill minus their 10% (or whatever) charge, and walk away. If you want to be double sure about any service charge - simply ask a staff member prior to taking you seat. It doesn't have to be difficult.

Having said all that, I also can't stand restaurants adding a service charge to the bill when it's not advertised. I have no problem with tipping good service - after all everyone knows that this is expected when you eat in restaurant - but I will not want to reward bad service.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wrong forum. This needs to be on Praise, Vents & Warnings although it has been done to death over there. A petition is pointless as well. If you don't like the charges, don't pay them. It REALLY is that simple.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Psyurmh wrote: »
    I’m tired of restaurants adding ‘optional’ service charges to final bills and making customers feel awkward and under pressure. Tips should be optional and at the customers discretion. I have started a petition with 38degreee. If you feel the same please sign up.

Whenever I have been in a restaurant that does this I just politely ask the service charge to be removed. If they ask why or if there was a problem I simply say I always get service charges removed and there wasn't an issues. It doesn't need to make you feel awkward and under pressure, although I have never returned to a restaurant which adds it on and hasn't advertised it beforehand.
    SouthUKMan wrote: »
    The rule is simple. If a service charge is clearly advertised - such as on an A-board outside the restaurant, or printed on the menu displayed in the window - then it forms part of the contract between you and the restaurant and you should pay. If you don't like the concept - then walk away and find another restaurant.

Don't forget sometimes a service charge is advertised clearly outside the restaurant as being optional. In this case I think it's fair to get the charge removed if you wish and you don't have to pay it.
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Go somewhere else?
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    it forms part of the contract between you and the restaurant and you should pay.

No you shouldn't. It's discretionary. It'll be added to you bill but it's up to you if you want to pay it.
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Supersonos wrote: »
    No you shouldn't. It's discretionary. It'll be added to you bill but it's up to you if you want to pay it.

Not quite. If it clearly states outside that a "10% service charge will be added to your bill" - then you are entering the restaurant with this knowledge. If it's not clearly advertised, then that's a different matter.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not quite. If it clearly states outside that a "10% service charge will be added to your bill" - then you are entering the restaurant with this knowledge. If it's not clearly advertised, then that's a different matter.

Does that actually happen anywhere. All I ever see is "A descretionary servioce charge of 10% will be added for parties of more than 4 people" or suchlike. I have never seen WILL BE ADDED!
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Not quite. If it clearly states outside that a "10% service charge will be added to your bill" - then you are entering the restaurant with this knowledge
    Opinions vary on this
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/do-i-have-to-pay-a-service-charge-if-the-service-is-poor
    Do I have to pay service charge?

If you are told about a compulsory service charge, you must pay it, unless the service was particularly poor

If you don't get an acceptable level of service, the restaurant could be in breach of contract. Under the Consumer Rights Act it is legally required to use reasonable care and skill when providing its service.

If the restaurant falls below this standard you can refuse to pay some or all of a service charge, depending on how bad the service actually is.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's normally advertised "discretionary" and to add insult it is often 12.5% instead of the standard 10% for the UK (they want us to move towards USA tipping culture i think where tips are 15-20%!)
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Life is far too short to get upset about things like service charges.

Just assume that the cost of the food on the menu is slightly higher as a result of the service charge.

It is absolutely not worth getting stressed about, or all "holier than thou" about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure