Becoming a translator

2»

Comments

• save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Google'd translator agencies restricted to a UK search. Get googling to see where you register your talents.
  • There are a few UK translation agencies and advice on getting started at http://www.homeworkinguk.com/translate.htm - Might be worth a try.
  • Oh and the home office - immigration central intrepreters unit - They do recruit freelance interpreters. I have applied for one that i saw in our local weekly and am still waiting to hear from them as there are plenty of security checks. Not too scary they need 2 professional references plus quite a bit of personal details inculding any patners and previous patners. I am sure they are checking if i am linked to some terrorists.

They said in the documents i will be self employed and will only work when i am required and am also free to turn down work.

I thought the pay was good because per every assignment they pay a minimum of three hours which is £80. The pay is £48 for the first hours then £16an hour after that. If you travel over 50miles i think they pay 0.30p a mile. Plus after hours and weekend work is nearly double the pay. You tick on the forms which hours you would like to work. i thought days only but couldnt resist the lure of double pay after hours so i ended up ticking everything and after all i can turn it down if i cant do it.

Plus you dont need any qualifications - there is some training they put you through. I am not sure if you can just apply or they have certain languages in certain areas they look for. So if you live in an area with a high number of immigrants and manage to speak the languages some of the immigrants speak its worth a pund. I am from Zimbabwe and speak Shona so the advert was looking for people who can speak it and I am based in Kent

I never thought my other language will ever be useful in this country but you just never know. So I am sitting tight hoping for some news. If anyone wants the number for them just to ring them and find out if they are recruiting in the language you speak let me know so i can rummage through my paperwork
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It is worth keeping an eye out on the freelance sites too. Not only can you do some quick/easy jobs, but also stand the chance of making some good contacts that will provide you with ongoing work (or tell their mates!)

Not all sites charge and it's amazing just how many languages there are! Here's an example of a freelance translation job -

English to French, German and Spanish: http://www.getafreelancer.com/projects/earner_191140.html

Bon chance!
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Also worth considering, If you have a good accent, to look for voiceover translation work, I recently paid 110 per hour for spanish and cantonese voicovers which was a lot cheaper than a professional voiceover company.
    If you can record a few passages of audio and add that to your website all the better.
    Now I look for a well rounded translator, do they have the specific knowledge i need, and is their voice good enough for voiceovers.
  • If you are interested in having a website.. Microsoft Office Live is offering free basic website (2GB webspace) where you can provide brief info about your business and have your business email address.

If you know quidco - a leading cashback site - which offers GBP 5 to signup for a free website by Microsoft Office Live

Direct Link
    Quidco Link - Where you earn GBP 5 for creating free website

If you need more info about quidco - click here

HTH

PS.. Can you help me with any contacts you have got for grabbing few translation jobs.. My wife is a Japanese translator/interpreter and is trying hard for new projects
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you are interested in having a website.. Microsoft Office Live is offering free basic website (2GB webspace) where you can provide brief info about your business and have your business email address.

If you know quidco - a leading cashback site - which offers GBP 5 to signup for a free website by Microsoft Office Live

Direct Link
    Quidco Link - Where you earn GBP 5 for creating free website

If you need more info about quidco - click here

HTH

PS.. Can you help me with any contacts you have got for grabbing few translation jobs.. My wife is a Japanese translator/interpreter and is trying hard for new projects

Hi Try my contact in post 5 of this thread. Potential to reach the chemical, agro-chemical, petro-chemical, pharmaceutical companies via the CHCS - I do not know the rates but you can post employment sort posts there
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure