PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Any tips on showing house to potential buyer?

Hey,

I have my house up for sale and I have a viewing tomorrow and was wondering if anyone would like to offer any advice or tips on showing people around.

All suggestions welcome!
Thanks x

Comments

• WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    let the viewers wander around on their own for a bit - there's nothing worse than viewing a house with the owner watching your every move like a hawk.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There are no magic tricks, and generally they're either going to buy it, or they're not, irrespective of how they are shown around.

However, my advice would be to take them around the house for a brief tour, pointing out anything not blindingly obvious, but without going to any unnecessary detail, then leaving the viewers to walk around again on their own. This will enable the viewers to talk more freely amongst themselves, but you can speak to them at the end to answer any questions they may have.
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    why isnt the agent you are paying doing the viewing? I get uncomfirtable being shown round as I have to go into actor mode.

Lovely flock wallpaper Mrs Smith,

Oh that Avocado suite is very decadent, sets off the pee stained pink bathroom carpet well.

Woodchip, how lovely, our dog loves to scratch his back.
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    why isnt the agent you are paying doing the viewing? I get uncomfirtable being shown round as I have to go into actor mode.

i do that too :o

also, i think it makes negotiation more tricky. i'd rather not meet the vendors and keep everything business-like
  • I welcome people as they arrive and let them know that I will take them around the house and then let them have a wander whilst I wait outside. There is nothing more awkward than having the owner hanging around. I tend to make a joke of this too to break the ice and make the viewers feel more comfortable.

There are bonuses for the buyer to be shown round by the vendor. They know the house and it's history and can answer any questions easily. Also as a vendor who has been in the middle of a bidding war, it helped me to meet my potential buyers to be able to asses who I wanted to sell to.

I've had really good feedback from all of the viewings I have done so just keep it simple and human and they will appreciate it.
  • As a buyer, i appreciated being left to wander alone after being shown around.
  • I agree - welcome people, give them a brief tour pointing out anything you think might interest them without too much detail, then leave them to have a look around by themselves. Stay somewhere easy for them to find at the end so they can ask you questions!

I disagree with those who say the agent should be doing the viewings. In my experience as a buyer they were useless - knew nothing about the properties and basically just unlocked the door for us and no more. As a vendor, I knew a lot more than any estate agent ever would about my flat. People asked me, e.g. what if any furniture we would leave, whether any of the fireplaces worked or was original, how recently kitchen/bathroom were replaced, who was the factor, how much were utility/factor bills, what was the tenant/owner occupier mix in the building, what were the neighbours like generally, and straight up how have you found living here.
    2018 wins: Aspinal of London jewellery box, Boudavida gym outfit, HP Pavilion laptop, The List party tickets, All Points East festival tickets, Kiehls moisturiser, By Terry cc serum, Nars Liquid Bronzer, Benefit highlighter, Nars illuminator, Fresh advanced lip trio set, Cetaphil sample set, signed copy of My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    let the viewers wander around on their own for a bit - there's nothing worse than viewing a house with the owner watching your every move like a hawk.

I had some jewellery stolen when I did that. Would never do it again. Unfortunately it was was stuff i didn't wear much so it didn't get noticed until we actually moved.
  • Make the house as neutral as possible, make it as easy as possible for the person viewing to imagine themselves in the house.

So small things such as having the place tidy, free of clutter (perhaps you can box stuff away in the loft, or bin stuff - getting ready to move).

Mirrors and fresh paint will help in the selling process.

Anyone who says, "Oh that is silly, the buyer will buy it if they want it"

Nope, not true. Buying a house isn't an impulse buy, there is a reason why car dealers polish and clean their cars so often!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Mirrors and fresh paint will help in the selling process.
    Yes, you can never have too many mirrors ;):

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36224676.html

(Acknowledgement to the original poster, Vestra.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure