Vodafone shares - any good?

I am still chasing dividend income in view of the abysmal interest rates on offer.

You good people put me onto Centrica and RSA last year.

I keep looking a Vodafone, but do you think they have run their course and the only way is down?

They do seem to pay out pretty good dividends.

So do some companies called ICAP and EVRAZ, but haven't got a clue what they are about:o

Any advice or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

Comments

• Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,950
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Saw this article on the Motley Fool site, it may be of interest to you:

Eyes Down For Vodafone's Results

Also quite a few discussion over on the Motley Fool boards going on about Vodafone before their half-year results next week.
    MF is not the easiest site especially the forums bit to navigate around but it does have some very knowledgeable contributors on the discussion boards.
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,250
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Ifts wrote: »
    Saw this article on the Motley Fool site, it may be of interest to you:

Eyes Down For Vodafone's Results

Also quite a few discussion over on the Motley Fool boards going on about Vodafone before their half-year results next week.
    MF is not the easiest site especially the forums bit to navigate around but it does have some very knowledgeable contributors on the discussion boards.

Thanks for that, it all looks good, so think I will go ahead and buy some.

• bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    melbury wrote: »

So do some companies called ICAP and EVRAZ, but haven't got a clue what they are about:o

well you seem to have done loads of in-depth research so good luck with that.

but.....

if you're interested in income from dividends then why not research its, some of which have increased their dividends for 40+ years running.

a diversified portfolio of its will be hard to beat

hope that helps

fj
  • Ifts
    Forumite

IIRC and I ain't confusing you with another poster on MSE you wanted to get Vodafone (VOD) at the sort of price they are now before they went up, and regretted not doing so last time (apologies if Ive got the wrong person here).

What ever you read on public forums don't it take it as gospel, by all means look into the idea but always worth you doing as much of your own research as possible before you commit.

As an example a little while back on here I was drawn to the attention of N Brown (BWNG) by fellow poster 'gadgetmind', after looking into it I liked what I saw and decided to buy some, got in at 259p which is now showing a 34% increase.
    On the opposite side I remember when Cadogen Petroleum (CAD) was being talked about on here, which if I had bought at the time would now be showing a loss of 60%+ but luckily for me that one only made it as far as my watch list (still there today showing a 64% loss).

So always DYOR and best of luck with your investments. :)
  • melbury
    Forumite
    well you seem to have done loads of in-depth research so good luck with that.

but.....

if you're interested in income from dividends then why not research its, some of which have increased their dividends for 40+ years running.

a diversified portfolio of its will be hard to beat

hope that helps

fj

What are its? :o

• melbury
    Forumite
    Ifts wrote: »
    IIRC and I ain't confusing you with another poster on MSE you wanted to get Vodafone (VOD) at the sort of price they are now before they went up, and regretted not doing so last time (apologies if Ive got the wrong person here).

What ever you read on public forums don't it take it as gospel, by all means look into the idea but always worth you doing as much of your own research as possible before you commit.

As an example a little while back on here I was drawn to the attention of N Brown (BWNG) by fellow poster 'gadgetmind', after looking into it I liked what I saw and decided to buy some, got in at 259p which is now showing a 34% increase.
    On the opposite side I remember when Cadogen Petroleum (CAD) was being talked about on here, which if I had bought at the time would now be showing a loss of 60%+ but luckily for me that one only made it as far as my watch list (still there today showing a 64% loss).

So always DYOR and best of luck with your investments. :)

I don't think it was me, last time, which was quite a while ago, I was asking about Sainsbury and Morrison shares, neither of which I bought. Just wish I had gone ahead and bought Sainsbury, they were just a touch over £3 then:(

• Ifts
    Forumite
    edited 9 November 2012 at 8:50PM
    Soz you are right it was Sainsbury's you were debating to buy around the £3 mark.

its are Income Investment Trusts.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,064
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    I am still chasing dividend income in view of the abysmal interest rates on offer.

You good people put me onto Centrica and RSA last year.

I keep looking a Vodafone, but do you think they have run their course and the only way is down?

Many thanks.

Vodaphone is a massive global player with a solid income stream. Its finances look solid so I would buy the shares (or would now if I didnt already hold them).

On ICAP and EVRAZ you say that you havent a clue what they are about. That to me is an excellent reason for you not to buy them. I have done a quick bit of research. I still dont know what ICAP is about but I do note that it is currently paying more in dividends than it makes in profit. Definitely not a state of affairs which many income investors would be happy with. EVRAZ appears to be paying virtually no dividends - only 0.05% according to ADVFN.

Some rather better income shares in my view include:
    - The utilities: United Utilities, SSE, National Grid
    - Pharmaceuticals: Glaxo, AstraZeneca
    - Shell I would say is an essential income holding

An Investment Trust worth considering is City of London which has the proud boast that it has consistently increased its dividend for the past 40 years or so.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Linton wrote: »
    Vodaphone is a massive global player with a solid income stream. Its finances look solid so I would buy the shares (or would now if I didnt already hold them).

An income stream that's under pressure in Europe. Appears now to be the new BP. One day in the future VOD will have a disaster of its own.
  • cos_2
    cos_2 Posts: 624
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I bought into Vodafone a year or so ago and today am 6.5% down on share price. Got a reasonable divi this year. However, past performance etc . . . :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure