PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,117
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    2 bags of OOD food, and 4 bags of clothes gone to the tip. Also took two portable TVs that worked fine, but probably don't now as the guy threw them into the back of the container :o
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Have been off work ill today and yesterday so instead of sitting and feeling sorry for myself I tidied out the drawers of doom - you know the ones, we've all got them - if you don't know where to stick something it goes in "the drawer". :p

All recipes filed together in one folder, a bag of old calorie counting menu plans gone (awaiting to go out to the recycling bin).

Also did the pajama drawer and gym clothes drawers in the bedroom - 2 very past their best sweat stained (lovely!) gym tops binned and one pair of jamas chucked as they are far too big now (thanks to the gym).

Didn't join the 100 piece challenge but now wish I had cos I've got rid of a lot, far more than I expected. At this rate I might be able to paint the bedroom in preparation for potentially trying to sell the place.

Motivation waning - maybe time to have another day nurse tablet!
    How long til pay day? :eek:
    March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300
  • GreenQueen wrote: »
    Hi, Ticklepenny,

Who looks after the children on your work days? Is it possible (practically and financially) to extend this so you get half a day/a day when the children are looked after and you can spend some time around the house/ go to a class/ go swimming/ something that would make your life easier and boost you for the rest of the week?

Don't know how much adult contact you have - however much you love your LOs, toddler conversation can make you feel as if your brain is seeping out of your ears! When I was at home with a LO I always tried to get out every day - mum and toddler groups, walks in the park or a visit to a garden centre - my DD could look at the guinea pigs in the pet section for hours and never realised they were available to buy!

GQ

Financially we are able to get by, but very little wriggle room. I am trying to get this stripped a bit further but as soon as I free up some money it seems to go straight out again (car/ kids clothes/ christmas/ random unforeseen emergency). So as much as I would love the kids to go to nursery for even 1/2 a day more its not an option atm. I loved the mums and babies groups with my first but with 2 LO's it just doesnt seem to be worth it as DS likes a nap at 12-2 and most groups run from 1-2:30pm :( or they are on when I work. I do love going for walks in the park, going to petsmart to look at the rabbits :D I just hope DD doesnt realise that they are available to buy :rotfl:
    greent wrote: »
    Have you tried looking at the flylady thread on here? (new one every week - but it goes really fast, so don't read all the posts!!) You could start off on level ones. It might not work for you, but it could be worth a try.

Just surviving sometimes is enough - and youreally do have a lot on your plate. Maybe 15 minutes a day decluttering a specific area (one drawer/ 1 shelf etc) and ensuring taht one is tidy teh next da before moving on to the next drawer. After a couple of weeks of doing this (and keeping the sirted areas tidy!) things start to look a lot better (honest!) Baby steps and all of that.. x

Having read flylady thread, I have also checked flylady.net and I like the trying to get it to become natural routine - I am not a routine kind of person, its just that my kids are. So seeing as it works for my kids I might give it a go lol. I mainly want to get the Kitchen decluttered and sparkly, and the bathroom too. The rest is a big job and can wait lol.
    Frugal wrote: »
    You've got loads on your plate so don't beat yourself up.

Come and join us on the friendly Messies thread HERE - we are all cluttered up to our eyeballs and motivate eachother to get things sorted... We have a great giggle on there too esp once we start comparing who has the untidiest bedroom/sofa etc :D

I am up for this thank you :D I need a swift kick up the butt sometimes (always).

Thank you everyone. I just keep thinking I should be doing more, but just look at everything, panic and stick my head in the sand lol.
    x
    DS1 arrived 22/02/11! 8lb3oz
    DD1 arrived 20/05/09 10lb3oz
    *Post Baby Weight loss start 23st5lb [STRIKE]now 19st 13lbs[/STRIKE] Post pregnancy weight #2 22st3lbs now 20st12*
  • TryingReallyHard, it;s not too late to join. I've found it really helpful having to tally up what I've done cos it inspires me to keep going. Do join. DO! You can guesstimate what you've decluttered so far.

Ditch 100
    Today I've done:
    29. 2 books – Amazon sale posted
    30. Stamp set – eBay sale posted
    31. Bag of books – charity shop
    32. 9 Christian teenage books – gifted
    33. 3 old knives - gifted

'Lewis' is about to start and I'm planning to use the advert breaks to declutter 5 sideboard drawers of the type you've mentioned, Trying! I had organised them a few months ago, but now I can barely open any of them because of the stuff stuffed inside. I discovered to my horror the other day that the bottom drawer is full of Yankee Candle samplers and tarts. They need to go in the whicker trunk with the others, so in theory that means at least one empty drawer to play with...

Do join us though Trying.
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    My tip for the kitchen & bathroom is to wipe them over every day before bed.
    It only takes a few minutes & that way everything is put away & clean for when you get up in the morning.

I never go upstairs empty handed. There is always something to take up & put away.

I'd rather iron every day for 20 mins that do it once a week.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    OK...just taken 3 items sold on fleabay to post office (pluz zapper box but counted that yesterday), not done much else I'm afraid, feel somewhat blah. :(

Still looks like a bombsite, worse, my front door opens onto my living room...so embarrassing when someone calls :o:eek:

total 45/100

Pudsey just read your post; I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine it. Bless your heart, you are such a positive lovely person. :A

Hiya Keys, it's very motivating and inspirational here; it really does make a difference.

darwin's_mum, that is interesting; I think there are a few of us here with lots of things relating to weight, emotional trauma and difficulties in letting go. Mummysaver38 helped me see the emotional aspects to my hoarding/cluttering (and I am going to get the book she recommended).

Onwards and upwards...:T
  • Trying_really_hard
    Trying_really_hard Posts: 538 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2012 at 4:07PM
    TryingReallyHard, it;s not too late to join. I've found it really helpful having to tally up what I've done cos it inspires me to keep going. Do join. DO! You can guesstimate what you've decluttered so far.

Do join us though Trying.

Oh, go on then. :D

Hmmm - list is probably something like this:
    1 Loads of keep fit magazines (I do actually read them)
    2 and 3 - bags of cardboard out to the bin.
    4,5,6 - bits of clothing that were beyond repairing no matter what I thought my level of sewing skill is (which isn't very high I'll tell you that!)
    7 & 8 - Two pairs of shoes (one to bin, one to CS bag)
    9 - Handbag to CS Bag
    10 - Fancy dress skirt - CS Bag
    11 - Aforementioned calorie counting meal plans
    12 - Gym tops and pj's binned.
    13 - Several out of date bits of makeup.
    14 - Duck carcass - taken out of the freezer, souped and then discarded.

Old camera and Broken hair straighteners (alright in truth these are still in the house but are in the bag ready to take to the tip this weekend along with a broken hoover (? why do we keep such things ?)

Ooo, more than I thought. Back to work tomorrow as feeling better but have the weekend to tackle the demon conservatory (haven to all kinds of tack and spiders eeeek!)

Pudsey and Hatti - Sorry for your loss. Can't even begin to imagine.
    How long til pay day? :eek:
    March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300
  • Pudsey, so so sorry to hear of your loss. My youngest boy died shortly after birth last year, it really is the worst, isn't it? I hope it's not too painful for you sorting through all the baby things. He sounds like a well loved, and lovely, little boy x x x
    MFW start date:22.6.13 - £138555 9.7.13 - £125937
    MFD: [STRIKE]November 2039[/STRIKE] October 2035

2013 OP: £14172
    2014 OP aim: £0/£3000
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Pudsey so sorry to hear of your loss. I hadn't read any posts before I said what I decluttered and now I've looked back and read what you said. Big hugs (((Pudsey))) x
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Would he be willing to let it go if you could sell it? Either that or get him to shift it - a clock thats not working is soooo annoying!!

I did suggest it would look good in the shed but he growled at me :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport