PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sing for your supper

i've noticed on the menu planners posted recently that people haven't included suppers. to be honest, it didnt really surprise me, as it isnt a meal im in the habit of partaking in.

however, since my workload and activity levels have gone up recently (and im often awake later too), i find that if i dont eat "supper" around 8 o clock, im starving in a few hours (by which time its too late to eat, so i go to bed hungry and wake up feeling to sick to eat because im so hungry).

obviously this isnt something that can go on, so i need to think about making a point of having supper. but never having been a supper person, im at a loss for ideas.

i was wondering if you lovely people can sugest some ideas of things which will fill the hole without overstimulating me?
know thyself
Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...

Comments

• Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I always have toast or a piece of fruit as an evening snack. Unless I'm at work then its a bar of chocolate. Not really a supper though. :S
  • Never really thought of putting it down.

We normally in the evening have something like a sandwich/toastie, piece of HM quiche or cheese and crackers. Its always savoury though:D

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Ive stopped eating in the evening since ive been trying to loose weight. Was advised that eating too late at night isnt good for you, so now i try to eat before 6pm, and will have a milky drink before bed!!!!
  • holstar
    holstar Posts: 826 Forumite
    what I do is just eat dinner later. I have lunch at 1.30-2ish (lecture-time dependent) and then dinner at 7.30-8ish. So, when I toddle off to bed at 12ish I'm not hungry.
    I decided this was better than eating dinner at 6.30ish and then eating biscuits and icecream at 10.30 ;)

hol x
    One thing...that sets pulses racing...that gets hearts pounding...for which there is no substitute...only YOU can provide...blood.

Only 5% of the eligible population give blood: do something amazing today, save a life, give blood
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    We don't have a traditional "light supper" but, for those times when the nibblies strike (usually at a Friday/Saturday when the lads stay up later) I vary my tactics.
    Fruit is always available for picking on.
    Or, depending on our schedule - we'll have a bowl of HM popcorn.
    We enjoy hm hummous with crudites too.

Sometimes, especially for the lads, it's just the act of nibbling on something that satifies them rather any real hunger.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • I often have a bowl of cereal as a late evening snack.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I often have a bowl of cereal as a late evening snack.
    Me too! Any time I get the munchies I usually head for the cereals. I very rarely have breakfast so my cereals are bought deliberately as snack food.

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • nic82
    nic82 Posts: 420 Forumite
    squeaky wrote:
    Me too! Any time I get the munchies I usually head for the cereals. I very rarely have breakfast so my cereals are bought deliberately as snack food.

:)

Me three! I always have cereal for breakfast (except for the odd bacon sandwich on a Saturday morning!) so have it in anyway.

For supper though, there's nothing I like better to eat than a weetabix (well, Morrison's own version) with Coco Pops on top. Yummy!
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    holstar wrote:
    what I do is just eat dinner later. I have lunch at 1.30-2ish (lecture-time dependent) and then dinner at 7.30-8ish. So, when I toddle off to bed at 12ish I'm not hungry.
    I decided this was better than eating dinner at 6.30ish and then eating biscuits and icecream at 10.30 ;)

hol x

very similar patterns to us (and similar screen names too, weird :p )

we're nightowls so this works much better for us.

if i do get a bit peckish i have a bit of fruit usually

i get really bad heartburn if i eat anything too close to bed anyway, not nice!
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    We just eat dinner later! But on Sundays when our roast dinner is often eaten at about 4pm (after a late brunch) we might have something like tomatoes or beans on toast, or toasted pitta bread with hummus, nachos with grated cheese melted on the top, muffins or even left overs from Sunday lunch reheated. DH often has some soup - easy to heat and digest!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport