DLA and epilepsy

Hi there im new to all this

my daughter has just been diagnosed with epilepsy vacant seizures and its all new to me so not sure where i start i have noticed that i have to change alot of things regards supervision, school, trips etc.

Even playing out with her friends. swimming lessons have had to stop too :(

My doctor today has mentioned to me about claiming dla?? wud i be eligible??

any suggestions wud be great

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    shope1704 wrote: »
    My doctor today has mentioned to me about claiming dla?? wud i be eligible??

Maybe.
    Assuming she's under 16.
    DLA is not given for epilepsy.
    DLA is given for the risks that epilepsy poses, and the care that would need to be given to reduce or eliminate those risks.

For example - someone who gets 5 minutes consistent warning of their epileptic attacks is comparatively unlikely to get DLA, compared to someone who has an attack with no warning.
    This is because they can take measures to avoid hazard - sitting down in a safe place, stopping cooking, ...
    In the extreme case, for example if she has severe fits that require someone to be with her so she is safe, this would certainly qualify for DLA.
  • ineed
    ineed Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think it's now PIP you'd have to claim (personal independence payment) as I believe DLA claims have now stopped.

You can look at this, http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/pip-toolkit-factsheet-002-assessment-criteria.pdf.

Hope it helps :).

Edit, never mind, under 16 still claim DLA.
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
  • rogerblack wrote: »
    Maybe.
    Assuming she's under 16.
    DLA is not given for epilepsy.
    DLA is given for the risks that epilepsy poses, and the care that would need to be given to reduce or eliminate those risks.

For example - someone who gets 5 minutes consistent warning of their epileptic attacks is comparatively unlikely to get DLA, compared to someone who has an attack with no warning.
    This is because they can take measures to avoid hazard - sitting down in a safe place, stopping cooking, ...
    In the extreme case, for example if she has severe fits that require someone to be with her so she is safe, this would certainly qualify for DLA.

she has vacant seizures with no warning it effects her schooling as she cant do most activities i just wondered if its worth applying? thanks x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure