Anglian Windows - any good?

Hello,

Today I had a quote for replacement UPVC windows from Anglian. This is the third quote I've had and I have Everest coming on Friday. Anglian is the cheapest so far by over £1,000 which is a huge amount. The others I've had have been smaller independent local firms but ones who are on local vetted tradesman forums.

The Anglian salesman told me they never normally sell their windows this cheaply and it's because they are offering them at basically factory/cost price due to December having been very quiet. Not sure if this is sales patter? Certainly the spec/quality of the windows (according to the sales patter and the brochure!!) seems to be excellent.

I tried to ask for a discount on the price he gave, just to test the water, but although the salesman made a call to his boss, I didn't succeed.

Just wondering if anyone has any comments on Anglian - having had work carried out and if so if you'd recommend their service, quality of windows and price?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Comments

• I've heard lots of bad things about Anglian & Everest - poor installation, poor after care. I'd recommend a local firm. I used one both times (two differnt ones in different counties) and was very pleased.
  • EthelBloggs
    EthelBloggs Posts: 2,740 Forumite
    my anglian windows are 10 years old now and I absolutely can't fault them. they keep the cold out, reduce noise from outside, are easy to clean, the locks work well.. brilliant :)

hth
    ☆ §ügÅr cØÅTëÐ pØï§Øn ☆
    Murphys no more pies club Member #41 :dance:
    12 stone down! :j
    Tiff Appreciation Society Member #2

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    With big national fitting companies how good they seem will always come down to the local branch. A friend of mine recently had his place done by Anglia and he is more than pleased with the price and finish.

That said clearly a lot of people are not happy with them. Best option is to get a recommendation from a friend if possible other than that you make yer choice.
  • Lungman
    Lungman Posts: 70 Forumite
    We had ours fitted by Anglian in Feb this year the fitters did an excellent job and we've had no problems with them (although admittedly they are less than one year old!) .

Someone down our street had them and we asked them if they would recommend them - which they did.

But as alanobrien said it is quite often a matter of the fitters used by the national companies, although the product itself is obviously an important consideration.

Recommendation from friends and neighbours is definitely an important consideration.
  • Many thanks for taking the time to reply and everyone's helpful comments.

Anglian did tell me they've fitted windows in other houses in our street so I think I'll ask them if they can put me in touch in some way with these people so I can find out if they were happy with the service they had.

They did give me all the "patter" about how their company is unusual because their fitters are only paid half of their money and have to wait 9 weeks for the other half in case there are any complaints about the standard of fitting and then the fitters pay is docked directly. The sales guy says this gives them an incentive to ensure a good job is done.

I can't help myself, I just can never entirely believe what I hear from salesmen, but the quote is very good.

Regards
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Go by local recommendation as the fitters are just as important, if not more so, than the windows themselves. Ask around amongst friends and neighbours.

Don’t buy on price, buy on value. If you are confident with Anglian and the price is right go with them, but do check out at least two other companies. Check with local as well as national companies. Make sure that you are comparing like with like.

We had full double glazing including a huge set of patio doors installed by Anglian in 1986, plus another two windows and a door in an extension in 1993 and they are perfect. Even the 20 year old windows and patio door still look almost brand new so my personal experience is good but there are probably as many horror stories with Anglian as anyone else.

And 20 years is a long time and the company may have changed a lot, and of course you won’t have the same fitters that we had.

Good luck.
  • itsbeef
    itsbeef Posts: 801 Forumite
    Always go by word of mouth when buying DG.

I had Anglia visit for a quote and it came in at £14,750 which apparently INCLUDED a 30% discount!!!!

I remembered an old friend who took over his fathers DG business, gave him a call and he recently finished fitting 8 large windows, back door, 3 large bays, one pair of patio doors and a small windows for £5,100!!!!!!!!

The windows all came from the same manufacturers as the Anglian windows but as his overheads were smaller he didnt have to add on the extra £9,000!

Well worth looking at smaller companies but only if you get good feedback from word of mouth.

Where abots are you? If in Exeter, Devon I can get you his number.....?

:confused: :rotfl: :T :j :beer:
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I agree with the above have a look at smaller local companies. Ask your neighbours for recommendations. There was several thousand pounds difference in cost between quotes when I had my windows replaced. Went with a small local guy and the service was brilliant
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I used a small company to install my windows over 10 years ago. I had to call them out to replace a handle that wasn't working. When I checked my invoice the windows had been installed 9 years and 364 days previously. I thought they were well out of guarantee. But the guy looked at my invoice said "that's lucky - still inside the 10 years" and spent two hours up a ladder in freezing cold at night, to fix it. Didn't charge me a penny. Later on he asked me to sponsor his son in some charity event so I was very happy to give him a tenner.

I would go for a local guy every time!
  • Just to add my thanks again for the latest posts. All good advice.

Itsbeef - what a staggering difference in price! Well done you. Just to say thanks for the offer but unfortunately I'm in Middlesex, nowhere near Devon, otherwise I would gladly have taken you up on the offer of your recommendation.

Regards,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport