Questions about Balance Transfers

Comments

• Can anyone tell me what MERCHANDISE INTEREST is? I have recently arranged a Balance Transfer and found this charge on the credit card!
  • LMac
    LMac Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is it possible to do a balance transfer from a card (not in my name) to a card in my name?
  • NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    LMac wrote: »
    Is it possible to do a balance transfer from a card (not in my name) to a card in my name?

Yes you can transfer whoever's card you like to your card, it can be your mum, your dad, or just Dave from down the pub (he may even buy you a beer :beer: )

However, please be aware that once the debt is transferred you are solely responsible for paying that debt back - Dave could disappear to Cyprus and you would be left with the debt repayments.

Hope this helps.
  • LMac
    LMac Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NickX wrote: »
    Yes you can transfer whoever's card you like to your card, it can be your mum, your dad, or just Dave from down the pub (he may even buy you a beer :beer: )

However, please be aware that once the debt is transferred you are solely responsible for paying that debt back - Dave could disappear to Cyprus and you would be left with the debt repayments.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! Just looking at options at the mo. Its not a huge debt, but due to a muck up with a loam (not his fault) he cant get credit. Just looking 0% for a year, or less, but virgin one looking good. might do a bit of stoozing with "leftover" credit. Appreciate your help
  • Hi Dan,

Can I transfer a balance from my wife's card (on which I am currently a second card holder) to a new 0% card in my name?

Thanks,
    Moriarty
  • NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Yes you can transfer whoever's card you like to your card, it can be your wife, your parents, or just Dave from down the pub (he may even buy you a beer :beer: )

Hope this helps.
  • i have a cahoot loan, can i transfer this to a citibank or other long term card?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Reg_Dwight wrote: »
    i have a cahoot loan, can i transfer this to a citibank or other long term card?
    Yes, by using the Egg Money Card Trick.
  • Hello,

I have paid off the store card by doing the balance transfer last month...

I am planning not to use that card, but thinking maybe I should have it stored away somewhere just incase I might have to use it or something......

But is it best to cancel the account anyway? Does that improve the credit scoring in any way? If yes I would rather cancel it! :rolleyes:
  • Hi im new here!! call me stupid but an hr iv sat here trying to figure out how to post a comment!! can someone pls help me haha!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback