Currys PC World not paying out promotional offer

Back in November 2012, Currys/PC World ran a cash back promotion when purchasing a tablet and case. Details of the offer are here (http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cashback-terms-conditions-436-commercial.html).

I purchased one of their qualifying tablets along with a camera case on the 7th Nov.

On the 12th Dec, I promptly filled in the application to claim my cashback. I supplied all the information they requested.

On the 19th Dec, I received an automated email stating that the cashback claim was rejected because "case does not appear to be a qualifying product".

Details from their own terms and conditions:
  1. Point 1 says: The Currys PC World cashback promotion is valid on the purchase of a brand new (i.e. not second hand or refurbished) qualifying Tablet or ereader and qualifying case during the promotional period.
  2. Point 2 says: Qualifying Tablets and qualifying cases include all products purchased through Currys / PC World.
  3. Under the FAQ for question 1 which asks "What products qualify for the Tablet cashback promotion?", it states the answer:
    Purchases of a qualifying new (i.e. not second hand or refurbished) Tablet or ereader and any case (click here to see full range of qualifying Tablet and ereader models and cashback amounts).

On the 20th Dec, I replied back to the email address (help@curryspcworldcashback.com) given in the rejection email and on their promotional page above. I highlighted the points above stating that my camera case purchase met the conditions of the promotional offer and I have met all other conditions and requirements of the offer.

On the 2nd Jan, after not receiving even acknowledgement of my email, I sent them another email asking for a reply. I also tried ringing their cashback promotional help line number (0843 658 0737) but I was stuck in a phone queue not moving forward.

On 4th Jan (yesterday) I tried ringing them again but still stuck in the queue not going forward. I was in the queue for over 20 mins.

On 5th Jan (today) I sent them another email. I also rang their number again and used the automated prompts to leave them a voice message so they could call me back. However, I have not heard from them.

I only purchased the tablet because of the offer so I feel I have been unfairly rejected from the promotion and I cannot even speak to someone about it to clarify.

Can anyone please help? Surely there must be some consumer protection for this if they refuse my claim?

Any help or suggestions?

TIA

Comments

• OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    techno79 wrote: »
    Back in November 2012, Currys/PC World ran a cash back promotion when purchasing a tablet and case. Details of the offer are here (http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cashback-terms-conditions-436-commercial.html).

I purchased one of their qualifying tablets along with a camera case on the 7th Nov.

On the 12th Dec, I promptly filled in the application to claim my cashback. I supplied all the information they requested.

On the 19th Dec, I received an automated email stating that the cashback claim was rejected because "case does not appear to be a qualifying product".

Details from their own terms and conditions:
    1. Point 1 says: The Currys PC World cashback promotion is valid on the purchase of a brand new (i.e. not second hand or refurbished) qualifying Tablet or ereader and qualifying case during the promotional period.
    2. Point 2 says: Qualifying Tablets and qualifying cases include all products purchased through Currys / PC World.
    3. Under the FAQ for question 1 which asks "What products qualify for the Tablet cashback promotion?", it states the answer:
      Purchases of a qualifying new (i.e. not second hand or refurbished) Tablet or ereader and any case (click here to see full range of qualifying Tablet and ereader models and cashback amounts).

On the 20th Dec, I replied back to the email address (help@curryspcworldcashback.com) given in the rejection email and on their promotional page above. I highlighted the points above stating that my camera case purchase met the conditions of the promotional offer and I have met all other conditions and requirements of the offer.

On the 2nd Jan, after not receiving even acknowledgement of my email, I sent them another email asking for a reply. I also tried ringing their cashback promotional help line number (0843 658 0737) but I was stuck in a phone queue not moving forward.

On 4th Jan (yesterday) I tried ringing them again but still stuck in the queue not going forward. I was in the queue for over 20 mins.

On 5th Jan (today) I sent them another email. I also rang their number again and used the automated prompts to leave them a voice message so they could call me back. However, I have not heard from them.

I only purchased the tablet because of the offer so I feel I have been unfairly rejected from the promotion and I cannot even speak to someone about it to clarify.

Can anyone please help? Surely there must be some consumer protection for this if they refuse my claim?

Any help or suggestions?

TIA

To be clear, you bought a camera case rather than a tablet case and thats why they are refusing?
  • techno79
    techno79 Posts: 354
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OlliesDad wrote: »
    To be clear, you bought a camera case rather than a tablet case and thats why they are refusing?

Yes I bought a camera case. No where does it state that it needed to be a tablet case so I can't say this is why they rejected it.

Other people who purchased a camera case under the same offer were successful in the claims. Also, Curry's online application for the cashback listed all their camera cases and other non-tablet cases they sell.

I am totally unsure why my claim was rejected. It's entirely possible it has been rejected mistakenly but I can't reach anyone to resolve the matter.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    to be fair you did take a change buying a camera case. can you still buy a tablet case now and claim?

the only other option would be to appeal by writing back with a firm latter stating that the camera case was a qualifying product at time of promotion and the website alluded to that as well. tell them that yuo will be taking it up with an industry ombudsman (whichever it is) if they do not process the cashback.
  • samsmoot
    samsmoot Posts: 736 Forumite
    This is easy: make a claim for your money in the county court. Help will be available for the asking - I'm always doing it.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    It says ereader & case...

I think you are reading what you want and not the fact it is a ereader & a ereader case.

Have you got proof that the camera case was one of qualifying products?
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    dalesrider wrote: »
    It says ereader & case...

I think you are reading what you want and not the fact it is a ereader & a ereader case.

Have you got proof that the camera case was one of qualifying products?

No he's not.

The wording of the entire terms doesn't restrict it to tablet cases, it just says any qualifying case.

If the claim form lists the case that the op purchased then there really can't be much debate on the issue.

Why have an item in the purchase list if you deny the claim later?

Poor from Currys/PC World (although note alot of these cashback departments are outsourced, not usually part of the business directly.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What make and model was the case you bought?

Here is the list of qualifying products https://curryspcworldcashback.com/uk/en/pages/cashback/qualifying

I haven't looked at them all but have expanded quite a few brands and I can see lots of tablet/ereader/ipad cases, I can see laptop and netbook cases and sleeves but I can't see any camera cases.

It does seem strange that they would sell a tablet and give you cashback on a camera case. A laptop case I can understand if you wanted to transport your new tablet and a laptop together but a tablet wouldn't fit in a standard camera case (unless slr or maybe camcorder case)
  • techno79
    Forumite
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    What make and model was the case you bought?

Here is the list of qualifying products https://curryspcworldcashback.com/uk/en/pages/cashback/qualifying

I haven't looked at them all but have expanded quite a few brands and I can see lots of tablet/ereader/ipad cases, I can see laptop and netbook cases and sleeves but I can't see any camera cases.

It does seem strange that they would sell a tablet and give you cashback on a camera case. A laptop case I can understand if you wanted to transport your new tablet and a laptop together but a tablet wouldn't fit in a standard camera case (unless slr or maybe camcorder case)

At the time of purchase, the only information available was the T&C link I gave in the opening post. The link you gave for qualifying tablets only became available once the online application became active (some 30 days after my purchase). It's worth noting that the T&Cs linked on that page are DIFFERENT to the one that was given at time of purchase:
    1. T&C available at time of purchase
    2. T&C from application when it became active

The 2nd T&C link (one from application) is the only one that contains the link to the full list of qualifying cases and thus this was not present at the time of purchase.

The 1st T&C makes no mention that a specific type of case is needed. It clearly states that:
    1. A qualifying case "include all products purchased through Currys / PC World".
    2. And the FAQ says that "any case" qualifies

The case I purchased is a Logik LWRAP10 camera case which was not on their list so in my application I picked the nearest one. Prior to the opening post, I only saw that list when making the application. The list of cases under Logik seemed to include many cases that sounded like camera cases (and had similar model numbers like the one I purchased) so I assumed they were other camera cases. Having looked through the list again, it does appear their list only contains tablet/e-reader cases.

The criteria for the offer stated shouldn't be based on "what make sense", it should be on what is explicitly stated in the T&Cs. The T&C explicitly says in many locations that ANY CASE is included and thus I have met all the criteria for the offer.

Essentially, what the company has done:
    1. Published one set T&Cs for a promotion available at the time of purchase.
    2. Purchase window has closed
    3. Cashback window opens and different set of T&Cs are given
    4. Second T&Cs state extra requirements for the cashback

This is blatantly wrong in my eyes. Wouldn't this also be wrong in the eyes of the law or trading standards??

It's only £20 but I'm prepared to fight this on moral grounds.

I think the sequence of steps I should try are:
    1. Pursue the cashback department for a few more days
    2. Make complaint to Currys / PC World complaint department
    3. Make complaint to obudsman
    4. Small county court claim

Any more info or help would be greatly appreciated.
  • techno79
    Forumite
    samsmoot wrote: »
    This is easy: make a claim for your money in the county court. Help will be available for the asking - I'm always doing it.

I'm hoping it won't get to that but yes, any help will be greatly appreciated should it come to that.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    techno79 wrote: »

Wouldn't this also be wrong in the eyes of the law or trading standards??

I imagine it will probably come down to what they feel a reasonable person would interpret from the first set of terms or whether currys could demonstrate that the list was available to customers when buying.

If not then you're looking at misleading and possibly also looking into whether the rule of ambiguity (ie if a term is ambiguous/can have more than one meaning, then usually they take the interpretation which is most beneficial to the consumer) might apply.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure