PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone have a wool duvet?

Comments

• Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Not sure, I've only ever had one ! i bought our one from Baavet & am pleased with it if that helps at all ?

ETA: Baavet also sell "seconds" on their online shop. Some of the time, it's because the filling is uneven, but in our case it was because one of their light weight duvets had been overfilled - which means we got an all year duvet (as we dont like very high tog) at a bargain price !

I really like that their quilts are made in Halifax/Huddersfield, the heart of the woollen industry. Very few working mills left these days, unfortunately.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Larumbelle wrote: »
    This is probably going to sound really dumb, but what is the benefit of a wool duvet over the old-fashioned wool blankets/sheets combo? I was reading about the wool duvets on the duvet-washing thread and everyone who has them sounds really happy with theirs. I have quite a few beautiful Witney wool blankets picked up from charity shops - dearest was still less than £5 - so if it is just like using blankets then that works out a lot cheaper. I am just not sure what the difference between a wool duvet and using sheets/blankets like people used to have. Sorry if that sounds silly - I am just genuinely curious!

Wool blankets are incredibly itchy when in close contact with the skin. You need to use good quality cotton sheets with them and then you end up with too many layers. If you're a restless sleeper, like me, it'd be a nightmare becoming entangled in them.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,958
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Wool duvets are good for those with feather allergies, and they are resistant to all the stuff in bed (like mites).

I have a wool duvet- it's very flat and keeps me just right.

There's also a down duvet which is lovely and fluffy, I feel like Heidi when using it.

The wool duvet doesn't drape around your body the way a down duvet does to there can be cold gaps.

Microfibre duvets are evil, just sweaty, don't breathe and just plain nasty - for me!

If it gets really cold, like it did here last winter, then its down duvet next to me and wool duvet over the top for some weight. Bliss!
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've got a baavet wool duvet - it wasn't cheap, but if you search baavet discount there's a 20% code on a motor home forum as one of the top results (you can't use it on bargain box items).

I have to say, it's been great - I bought it just before winter last year - I was pregnant and couldn't stand anything too heavy as when I had flushes I had real trouble kicking anything off if I was all tangled up.

Plus - It washes and dries really, really well - don't have a tumble dryer (and anyway it's not good for it apparently), but my lakeland heated airer has no trouble with it. I just drape it over the top in place of the normal cover.

Dragon's den pitch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcicmVhQIZs
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    How do you clean a wool duvet? My down ones go to the laundrette twice a year and seem to come back twice as fluffy - they wash and dry 2 for £10.

My hubby has allergies so maybe I should look into wool for him but how are they to maintain and clean?

Thanks x
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Gers wrote: »
    Wool duvets are good for those with feather allergies, and they are resistant to all the stuff in bed (like mites).

I have a wool duvet- it's very flat and keeps me just right.

There's also a down duvet which is lovely and fluffy, I feel like Heidi when using it.

The wool duvet doesn't drape around your body the way a down duvet does to there can be cold gaps.

Microfibre duvets are evil, just sweaty, don't breathe and just plain nasty - for me!

If it gets really cold, like it did here last winter, then its down duvet next to me and wool duvet over the top for some weight. Bliss!

I can't be doing with weighty bedding - that's the joy of a down duvet, all the warmth and none of the weight.
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ariarnia wrote: »
    I've got a baavet wool duvet - it wasn't cheap, but if you search baavet discount there's a 20% code on a motor home forum as one of the top results (you can't use it on bargain box items).

I have to say, it's been great - I bought it just before winter last year - I was pregnant and couldn't stand anything too heavy as when I had flushes I had real trouble kicking anything off if I was all tangled up.

Plus - It washes and dries really, really well - don't have a tumble dryer (and anyway it's not good for it apparently), but my lakeland heated airer has no trouble with it. I just drape it over the top in place of the normal cover.

Dragon's den pitch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcicmVhQIZs

I've just checked - you're not wrong!:eek:
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    katkin wrote: »
    How do you clean a wool duvet? My down ones go to the laundrette twice a year and seem to come back twice as fluffy - they wash and dry 2 for £10.

My hubby has allergies so maybe I should look into wool for him but how are they to maintain and clean?

Thanks x

I shove it in the machine on a delicate/cold wash (30 deg, slowest spin) and it's been fine - washed it about 4 times in the last year as various things have stained it, and other than a faint purple (fruit tea) mark when a baby kicked unexpectedly vigorously... :o
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have noticed that abaca now do wool duvets - i already have an abaca wool filled pillow and much prefer it to synthetic pillow so I might go with a wool duvet when funds permit http://abacaorganic.co.uk/product-category/bedding/pillows-protectors/
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    boliston wrote: »
    I have noticed that abaca now do wool duvets - i already have an abaca wool filled pillow and much prefer it to synthetic pillow so I might go with a wool duvet when funds permit http://abacaorganic.co.uk/product-category/bedding/pillows-protectors/

I'm sure it isn't but it just sounds itchy. (But then I hate wearing wool as well.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure