PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I love it! I bought, in Manchester Airport, on the day it was published last year, as I love To Kill a Mockingbird.

It needs more careful reading in the latter part, as there is much discussion of the Black fight for equality and resistance it met in the south.
    Right, its next on the list - nicely timed to co-incide with Black History Month! :)

The more I read the more I realise how little I actually know about it :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I was walking through the West End one aftenoon last week at around 4.30pm, after school finished for the day. The privately educated kids I saw gathered in bunches on street corners were in high spirits, and the word "retard" was bandied about like nobody's business amongst each other. Their parents must be so proud.

I walked past a group of schoolkids today and one called the other one a gay c-word. I almost said "Mind your language" to him.
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    Is it me or is it a bit quiet on here, we must be all busy reading or living hectic lives. I am currently Reading the dandelion years by Erica James. I am having a mini break from crime thrillers. I'm enjoying it so far.

I've finished this book now, was an ok read but I found it a bit slow. The story jumps from the present to the past, the past story is set in WW2, it is a love story with a few very tragic twists.
    Up next is a crime thriller I got in the works 8 for £10.00 deal.
  • missbiggles1
    Options
    Right, its next on the list - nicely timed to co-incide with Black History Month! :)

The more I read the more I realise how little I actually know about it :o

To also tie in with that, I thoroughly recommend William Styron's The Confessions of Nat Turner.

This is an engrossing and controversial first person account of the 1831 slave revolt in Virginia, about to be released under the title The Birth of a Nation. I'm a great Styron fan and also love Sophie's Choice which many people will know from the Meryl Streep film.

That went down like the proverbial lead balloon with my book group which I think is a different kind of recommendation.:rotfl:
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    I've read a lot of stuff for work recently.

Fiction-wise I'm stuck on this one:

hundredsecretsenses.jpg

I love the author, but I'm struggling with how horrible the narrator is to her own sister, even as an adult. I'm not sure I'm going to get very far with it :o
    Finally finished it, 7.5/10. Bits I loved (what I would give to have a sister like Kwan!) but much of it I found hard to concentrate on knowing how supernatural the concepts were. The ending made me sad, but there was a good (albeit predictable) twist on the very last pages. It's the kind of book you could read on a Christmas-New Year afternoon, after you've been on the sherry :D

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Options
    Hello bookworms :hello:

Just thought I'd share this website:
    The Book Guide

It's a guide to sources of secondhand and antiquarian books in the UK.
    Bookshops, book fairs and auctions.

You might find a great secondhand bookshop near you that you didn't know existed like I did :T
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have just finished "I let You Go" by Claire Mackintosh.

Good paced, well thought out, not sure i would call it a thriller in the true sense. But kept me reading.

The writing style took some getting used to, but overall, pretty good
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Options
    Thanks Syman, that book is on my shelf for the next read, once I finish the Jilly Cooper (which is a bit of a tome .. but a good "naughty romp")
    Normal people worry me.
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    I've just finished the girl on the train by Paula Hawkins well it was a bit of a disturbing read. I wanted to know what all the hype was all about regarding the latest film on the book. I would suggest that someone who has depression not read this as it is depressing. Didn't take me long to read, just under 6 days.
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    I've just finished the girl on the train by Paula Hawkins well it was a bit of a disturbing read. I wanted to know what all the hype was all about regarding the latest film on the book. I would suggest that someone who has depression not read this as it is depressing. Didn't take me long to read, just under 6 days.
    This is still one my shelf, unread along with Gone Girl. I will get round to reading it, but am in no hurry to do so as I heard the R4 adaptation earlier this year.

The husband sounded like a nasty piece of work.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure