PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My Thrifty Ways to Save Money

Comments

• I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,290
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador
    Morning All,

Shopping for me at Aldi tonight - lets see what offers they have this week.
    The dentist practice I go to has a policy of there dentists carrying out there own scale and polishes - I paid £19.70 last week for mine.
    This practice will also charge you for a missed appointment unless you phone and cancel it giving 24 hours notice.

Another way I save the pennies is by applying for freebies via the freebies sites. Today I have received a box of 14 4ml sachets of Garnier skinactive Pure Active 3in1. This will save me buying any face wash for a few weeks more.

Have a good Thursday everyone.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• I_Love_comps
    Senior Ambassador
    :j:j:j Welcome All to Friday:j:j This week has gone very quickly - but I do find that the days to fly by quickly. I am sure as you get older times goes by quicker - maybe because I am doing things at a slower pace than in my younger days.
    Went to Aldi - We encountered one of those ' I am am going to buy everything from the shelf type of customer' it was over the cat food trays which are still on offer at 19p. This lady was piling in these cat food trays - she had 3 boxes full - while my OH just stood there - so I just politely sidled between her trolley and the shelf and said I was just getting a few for my cat - while chatting to her she said she owned 7 cats.
    My body is also beginning to want to eat more of the unhealthy items - I suppose to store up for Winter. I could not resist a pack of Belgium Buns - they were only 89p compared to Co-OPs £1.29, so in they went , I did so enjoy it while watching 'EE' last night.
    I was so hoping for an NSD day today, but it is not to be I need to send a card to do with my postcrossing hobby. Also my daughter who I have not senn for a few weeks phoned after we had come back from shopping to ask if she could come to dinner on Sunday - so I will have to go and buy some extra meat .
    Have a good Friday everyone :j
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Challenges

• My dentist automatically does a clean and polish when ever I go for my six monthly check up it comes in with the check up price which is handy.
    Well done on getting your freebie face washes ILC, its a nice treat now and agin to get free samples isn't it. I have a voucher for John Lewis that I must use up before the end of the month, its only a free coffee and cake but well worth using my bus pass for a trip to Bluewater and a mooch around and free coffee and cake to go with it.Nice morning out I think :)
  • Good morning all.

It's funny isn't it but I do find some things are worth paying a bit more for. In this house we have found that toothpaste is definitely the case where it's worth investing.

I have very sensitive teeth and have tried every brand. Only sensodyne works for me so I just stock up when it's on offer.

I'm with you on the Sensodyne. I've used Colgate and other brands in the past for my sensitive teeth, but only Sensodyne really makes a difference. Like you, I look out for it on offer. :)
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • I_Love_comps
    Senior Ambassador
    Morning All,

The weather certainly feels chillier these last few days. I am not a fan of Winter, I am not keen on the dark nights. It makes me want to eat more of the things I should not eat.
    Not doing to well with my NSD days - had to nip out Sunday morning to buy something vegetarian. Shopping at the Co-op is expensive- managed to find an offer on the Linda M leek and cheese lattice pies £2.09 each or two for £3 - the other pack are in the freezer in case daughter visits again soon.
    Off too see what T's have later on after work.

Have a good Tuesday - I have Eastenders and Holby City to look forward to tonight.

My Challenges

• When we travel, I have started taking an ice cooler with snacks and drinks. It has saved us money!
    Now, when we stop, I'm not tempted to munch on junk food so it saves my waist line too. ;)
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • I_Love_comps
    Senior Ambassador
    When we travel, I have started taking an ice cooler with snacks and drinks. It has saved us money!
    Now, when we stop, I'm not tempted to munch on junk food so it saves my waist line too. ;)

It is in the house where I am temptedto snack more in Winter - but maybe a freezer bag with a few bits at the side of while watching tv would put me off snacking as the thought of putting my hand into a freezing cold bag would certainly put me off snacking as much.

My Challenges

• I_Love_comps
    Senior Ambassador
    Welcome to October,

This is the month where the heating will be turned on - so we will all be spending extra on the heating bills.
    I have not had any NSD days something seem to have gone out of my bank account or I have been shopping, so this month I will keep a track of how many NSD days I actually have.
    Our thoughts will be turning to Christmas too and how much we have in our budgets to spend - I will be keeping my look out for any offers when I have worked out what we need.
    Boots have an offer on Smashbox - but it did not contain any make -up in. I could do with replacing all my make- up and last year I fancied buying the Ester Lauder Christmas Gift Collection - which had loads of make-up in. My thrifty part of me tells me I must use up all of my other make-up first, before buying a new items.

My Challenges

• flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good morning all!

I've just been sat here reading back through the whole thread with my morning coffee. Lots of good ideas!
    I'm back on the thrifty wagon after having fallen off for most of the past year. I always feel better about myself when I'm watching the pennies, so I'm glad to be back!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Welcome to October,

This is the month where the heating will be turned on - so we will all be spending extra on the heating bills.
    I have no doubt! I'll still try to hold off for as long as possible, if I can do without until 25th I will consider myself positively Spartan!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure