Bogus car trader online

I bought a car from a "dealer" from a Gumtree ad who didnt give me the V5. It was sold online as a "very good car" and "drives like new" in a trade advert. We met after hours, on the street, and not in his office. I paid via bank transfer at my house, as i didnt want to use an ATM. Yes, stupid, i know.

After paying, i got the receipt which said "sold as seen", "in good working order" and "service needed soon".
Soon after, I found out that the turbo was completely broken and it cost over £700 to fix. After phoning, the dealer said he wouldnt fix it. Then he became uncontactable and as I had moved to another city for work, repaired it at my cost.

I then received the registration document which said it was salvaged because the estimated cost of repair was more than the value. The dealer did not mention this.

I have searched online for the trader and found no information, nor the company at companies house. I do have the address of his "Ltd company" from the V5 and his bank account details. How can i proceed to recover my losses?

Comments

• I think you know yourself you have made a stupid mistake....once again i say if it looks to good to be true then it usually is.

I fear you will have to put the whole episode down to a very bad experience.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    captainjon wrote: »
    I do have the address of his "Ltd company" from the V5 and his bank account details.
    You have the address of the last registered keeper.

Are you sure that's the address of the seller?

Might be worth getting in touch with the last RK, but I fear you chances of getting anywhere with this are slim.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Search the details you have for him - address, name, phone number, bank details etc to see if theres any other listings which might contain useful information. Report him to trading standards.

As for getting your own money back, short of having his name & address, you wont even be able to issue legal proceedings - never mind enforce any judgement.

While it seems hes possibly/probably committed several offences, you'll likely find the police will take the "its a civil matter" route and will only take action on the say so of TS (who themselves usually dont take any action unless they've had loads of complaints).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you want to message me the info you have in confidence I will search and see if there's anything I can find.agree with above post and suspect it's not the first time he's done this.
  • wealdroam wrote: »
    You have the address of the last registered keeper.

Are you sure that's the address of the seller?

Might be worth getting in touch with the last RK, but I fear you chances of getting anywhere with this are slim.

i have the V5 address which matches the location we met, so i assume its valid.
  • wealdroam
    i have the V5 address which matches the location we met, so i assume its valid.

That's ok then. :rotfl:

You met on the street.
    Did you see him come out of the premises?
    If not, could he have just arranged that meeting point because he knew the address of the last RK?

Perhaps you could/should visit these premises and establish whether your 'trader' actually works there.
  • captainjon
    captainjon Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 4:50PM
    wealdroam wrote: »
    That's ok then. :rotfl:

You met on the street.
    Did you see him come out of the premises?
    If not, could he have just arranged that meeting point because he knew the address of the last RK?

Perhaps you could/should visit these premises and establish whether your 'trader' actually works there.

Glad you find this funny. It was after hours, and it was in the vicinity of the supposed trade address.
    he drove up in the car, and its possible he has no connection at all to any local businesses, but has commited fraud with the DVLA if so.
  • wealdroam
    he drove up in the car, and its possible he has no connection at all to any local businesses, but has commited fraud with the DVLA if so.
    Not necessarily.

Just pointing out to you that you need to do some more work before you can say that you know the trader's address.

As others have said, without the trader's address you stand no chance of doing anything.
  • wealdroam wrote: »
    Not necessarily.

Just pointing out to you that you need to do some more work before you can say that you know the trader's address.

As others have said, without the trader's address you stand no chance of doing anything.

even with bank account details?
  • wealdroam
    even with bank account details?
    Yes, even with bank details.

Again, you need an address for this trader.
    Neither your bank or his bank are going to give you that information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure