Bankrupt friendly home insurers

14567810»

Comments

• Mullhon2
    Mullhon2 Posts: 1,312 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Will do tomorrow, thanks again
    ITV Winners Club Member (106)
    Thank you all who post comps and answer questions.
  • Mullhon2
    Spoke to Co-op, they are fine with bankruptcy, said it made no difference so long as I and my property met the assumptions listed here. Asked them to note it just in case though.
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 September 2014 at 7:49PM
    macbabypam wrote: »
    I got a quote from More Than online for buildings and contents insurance. I was not asked about BR and it did not mention BR in the. eligibility criteria. Before I paid for the policy I thought I should ring to double check that being an undischarged BR was not a problem.

The woman at customer services said that if I rang up for a quote she would ask about BR and the policy would be declined. I told her it was not mentioned on line and she said not to worry about it and the policy 'should' be ok.

This isn't very clear, if BR is an issue for More Than, I would have. thought it would be part of the eligibility criteria. I don't feel very confident taking the policy online as I don't want to be left high and dry in the event I have to make a claim.

I've just got a quote from John Lewis for Home insurance, they don't ask the question, no box to tick yes or no but I thought it best to check the small print and it was in there, that if you had been BR you are not eligible!

I rang the helpline and asked, they said if discharged I was fine to accept the quote! which I have just done :j (£15 cashback from Quidco too)
  • Mullhon2
    I set up insurance through Co op as above in May. Rang to set up and new house and have asked for annual payment. Asked why as in May could pay by DD, said they'd run credit check on my (now separated) husband. Although quite content to take deposit and payments from me.
    I'm now back to looking for a company that'll allow me to pay monthly as there's no way I can afford annual premium.
  • sniggings
    Mullhon2 wrote: »
    I set up insurance through Co op as above in May. Rang to set up and new house and have asked for annual payment. Asked why as in May could pay by DD, said they'd run credit check on my (now separated) husband. Although quite content to take deposit and payments from me.
    I'm now back to looking for a company that'll allow me to pay monthly as there's no way I can afford annual premium.

two points, first if you are separated and do not have any financial connections and he's not living in the property,then his credit report has nothing to do with you so they can't apply his credit check to you, also they need to ask before running a credit check, so sounds as if you have been given the wrong info from whoever you spoke with.
  • Mullhon2
    Hi, the insurance set up in May was done online, not sure if it said about who was credit checked. The application was done in both names, we were together then. I have just got a house for myself and daughter.
  • sniggings
    Mullhon2 wrote: »
    Hi, the insurance set up in May was done online, not sure if it said about who was credit checked, but the application was done in both names, we were together then.

oh right sorry, misunderstood.
  • Mullhon2
    My fault, didn't really explain myself well; but thank you for trying to help.
  • AXA group now confirm they have no problems with bankruptcy so long as it wasn't in the last two years (the M&S/Swiftcover brands of AXA have already confirmed this).

Hastings Direct say they shouldn't have any problems (none of their underwriters refuse quotations) and most of their underwriters do not consider a discharged bankruptcy to be relevant but they ask people call them for a quote first. They also say if you opt for paying on instalments a credit check will be ran.

Hi there,
    Can you tell me where you found this information out and if its still the case with AXA?
    Thank you
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Hi this thread is 3 years old , so I would do your own research as its probably out of date.
    I had no problem with insurance by paying the year upfront.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure