Warning - Brew It Yourself (aka The Online Shopping Co)

Options

Comments

• Essex_Lad1981
    Options
    kondormid wrote: »
    LOL at the reply "we are not psychic". Neither are their customers apparently and had no way of knowing how rubbish they were at providing anything that resembled a service.

The attitude of "remove bad threads, our customers need to be psychic" is the running theme at TOHC HQ it seems.

I bet Damon was working overtime to get all that lot deleted and under put under the rug. Let’s hope it didn’t distract him too much from getting orders packed up and sent out to paying customers.
  • Velleity
    Options
    I see that word popping up all over this forum but no idea what it means. If disagreeing with anyone makes me a troll then I do apologise. What you will find is as a long term member of this forum I am full of rants and when I read silly things I will respond to those silly things and again try to point out the obvious that people seem to think doesnt apply to them and that is always use a credit card.

a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion
  • walp
    walp Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February 2012 at 3:11PM
    Options
    A bad move when shopping online. Just pay it off at the end of the month and noone should have an issue owing a credit card.

OK johnnyboyrebel, point taken (and much less patronising, so thanks for adding constructively to the thread).
    I still can think of a lot of people who don't want (or can't) apply for credit cards for the following reasons (sorry to digress from the thread initially):
    1) Most people like to spend on things they like (it's a free world) and worry about having a credit card as it is (as we all know) just too easy to spend more than you can afford. Im sure you're not like that, if so count your blessings (everyone has their limitations).
    2) A decent credit rating is necessary to get most credit cards. I know there are ones where this isn't as much the case, but the worry as concerns the high APR & fees with such companies puts folk off.
    3) Some buyers might not have the financial position that enables them to command a successful application. Whereas most people can command a debit account, getting a credit card is harder.
    4) The mere fact that the seller is low cost & potentially offering the chance for folk to have a wee tipple at a fraction of the cost (or so they promise) increases the likelihood of this thread's contributors' having a few more debit only cardholders amongst them.
    5) Every time one applies for a credit card, this is another application on your credit file (which by default temporarily impacts on peoples ability to apply for other credit). I remember when I applied for my first mortgage, I deliberately avoided any other credit application (and no, I didn't have a credit card back then). I know getting a credit card & using it then paying it all back on statement day actually ENHANCES your credit rating over time, but this convenience (as discussed) is not open to all. There is a vicious circle inherent in this (cant prove trust = cant get credit).
    6) The difference between web prices & high street prices are such that I WOULD STILL encourage debit card holders (unable to or not wanting credit cards for whatever reason) to purchase much lower price stuff online HAVING DONE SATISFACTORY RESEARCH.... This is arguable, I know, although I estimate that I have personally & realistically saved at least £1000 in the last year just by picking up online offers (no joke & I am not wealthy)... When I add in the possible loss of £60 via my OHBC purchase into the mix, I would (on reflection) still be happier to have still paid for all that stuff via debit rather than credit card (rather than being held ransom by high street shopping costs).
    The difference between the buying power of those with access to the web & those who have not is a well know media subject at the moment... Those who do not lose out heavily...
    I would urge those who have purchased via debit card not to feel too silly :).

Oh, and to rejoin the subject of the OHBC (so as not to digress too much), they finally tell me my order has been refunded (time foir a nice wait... zzzzzzzzz... if it happens at all.....). They did however fail to comment on the fact I had also told them that I had contacted Ritchie Products (who were patently not very pleased with their conduct), and that I had also mailmerged the facts to various consumer groups including You & Yours (no reply yet)...
  • macma
    macma Posts: 911 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would urge those who have purchased via debit card not to feel too silly :)

Until you mentioned it I didn't !
    I'm confident we could have any number of credit cards should we want them,we don't.
    Perhaps I've been lucky buying online,but I've dealt with several companies and recieved splendid service.In fairness this company were pretty good for some time it's only recently I've had trouble.
    I will consider all the advice given here as the good folk clearly have far more experience. Sadly I'm old school and perhaps rather too trusting.:embarasse
    Still haven't had my refund promised by email on 15th :(
  • johnnyboyrebel
    Options
    It is a given that when shopping online always use a credit card. This is normal procedure so not doing so just makes no sense. In the long run it can only be beneficial. Sure if you could not sucessfully get one then you obviously cant use one. In that case I would suggest getting some9one who has one to order for you as opposed to just using a debit card and hoping for the best.
  • Essex_Lad1981
    Essex_Lad1981 Posts: 108 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2012 at 5:39PM
    Options
    I have been buying off the internet for around 15 years I would guess and never had an issue, had some issues with the odd clown on ebay, but as for buying direct from a site never had an issue and never had to make a chargeback for not receiving goods until using this company.

I always check the company out if it’s someone I have not used before. I did this with TOHC before ordering and what did I find? Tons of glowing reviews on their site linked to Trust Pilot from happy customers which makes you think they are ok. Little do you know that 90% of buyers are not allowed to leave reviews as they do not get their goods and most of the reviews on Trust Pilot are made up by TOHC themselves.

I used a debit card and was still able to get my money back from the Halifax so it made no odds.

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM].
  • kondormid
    Options
    johnnyboyrebel. You should clarify to people before you advise them on taking on credit cards what the rules are for chargeback with each one. It differs from provider to provider and unlike section 75 it is not protected by law.

For one thing, a credit card charge back can only recover money when the merchant bank agrees and there is money in the account you are trying to charge back from.

This is not really fantastic advice in all honestly. I mean I am sure you are aware that people have had some pretty amazing tales of running up fairly large monthly shops only to have a problem of some sort with there bank account, which has caused their direct debit not to feed their credit card, which in turn has meant interest charges being added to the card, charges for non payment and also often charges from the bank for attempting a direct debit charge that you can not afford.

Unless of course you know of some magical bank account that scores 100% on the satisfaction scale and nothing ever goes wrong with payments in and out.

I know that MSE and others tout it as the perfect and safest way to shop, and I would agree for large purchases on and offline a credit card does give you legal protection via section 75.

But do not confuse the benefits of large purchase insurances with small purchase and the risk of charges due to errors.

For large purchases credit cards are great but for small purchases you really need a pretty good buffer in the feeding bank account to make sure nothing goes wrong.

It is not as simple as just getting a card mate.
  • Tarmac---
    Options
    Could we not let this thread get convoluted with the pros and cons of ordering online with a debit/credit card? I'm sure there's plenty of threads on MSE for that...
  • greyteam1959
    Options
    Moley1958 wrote: »
    THBF and jimsbeerkit forum were both threatened with legal action by OHBCo in their previous incarnation as BIY. Before reading this topic we were unaware that BIY had been forced into liquidation and re-emerged as OHBCo.

However, this does not mean that we have been content to sit on our backsides and watch this all going on, forum Administrators have been in contact with Trustpilot when it came to light that their review procedure may have been abused.

Yoo Hoo Moley.......nice to see you get about !!!
    :beer:
  • johnnyboyrebel
    Options
    Tarmac--- wrote: »
    Could we not let this thread get convoluted with the pros and cons of ordering online with a debit/credit card? I'm sure there's plenty of threads on MSE for that...

I agree, I'm done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport