Buyer slow to pay, feel like I'm being conned somehow

13»

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    One more thing, don't hassle buyers for payment it can cause all sorts of issues, not least of which poor stars for communication. It doesn't matter what you say in your blurb, you can't force a buyer to pay quickly, you must allow them at least the 2 days that ebay expect you to wait before a case can be opened, personally I think even that is a bit quick.

Send an invoice, then leave it alone for a couple of days, there is absolutely no need to contact a buyer further.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thank you for all the advice. I actually sold about 10 items in one go this week and it's only this buyer's payment who has gone into pending balance. I've received payments which are more than this and they were received as normal.

I'm just going to cancel the order since I'll be going away soon and don't want all this hassle. Don't want to see whether it turns out to be a buyer scam.

Cheers
  • Order cancelled and didn't have to wait 10 days.

Sorted!
  • soolin
    Order cancelled and didn't have to wait 10 days.

Sorted!

How exactly did you cancel and have your FVFs been refunded ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • beneficentluge
    beneficentluge Posts: 51 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2015 at 11:01PM
    Simple.

Buyer paid then I cancelled the order via eBay and their PayPal payment was automatically refunded. Also my FVFs were credited shortly after.

If the buyer hadn't paid and I cancelled the order then I would have to wait 10 days maximum for the buyer to confirm mutually.
  • soolin
    Simple.

Buyer paid then I cancelled the order via eBay and their PayPal payment was automatically refunded. Also my FVFs were credited shortly after.

If the buyer hadn't paid and I cancelled the order then I would have to wait 10 days maximum for the buyer to confirm mutually.

What option did you use to cancel?
  • beneficentluge
    beneficentluge Posts: 51 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2015 at 11:04PM
    Your cancellation reason: The buyer asked to cancel the order or there's an issue with the buyer's address

I selected this option. It would still work if the other option was chosen anyway as long as the buyer already paid via PayPal.

Buyer pays via PayPal > seller cancels order > PayPal refunds automatically > order cancelled and closed > FVFs credited.

or

Buyer hasn't paid / pays other than PayPal > seller cancels order > wait 10 days for buyer to mutually confirm / refund > order cancelled and closed

Also read about this process on the eBay site when I looked more closely.

Only downside is the buyer can leave negative feedback but I guess a quick call to eBay will sort that out if it's out of retaliation.
  • soolin
    I selected this option. It would still work if the other option was chosen anyway as long as the buyer already paid via PayPal.

Buyer pays via PayPal > seller cancels order > PayPal refunds automatically > order cancelled and closed > FVFs credited.

or

Buyer hasn't paid / pays other than PayPal > seller cancels order > wait 10 days for buyer to mutually confirm / refund > order cancelled and closed

Also read about this process on the eBay site when I looked more closely.

Only downside is the buyer can leave negative feedback but I guess a quick call to eBay will sort that out if it's out of retaliation.
    At least that option doesn't give you a defect. If you do get negative feedbCk ebay are unlikely to remove it and may well give you a slap on the wrist for fabricating a cancellation. Buyer didn't request a cancellation nor was there an issue with the address and your holiday doesn't count as a valid reason for cancelling.

However, negs are actually quite rare and it is unlikely that buyer will leave feedback unless they are very aggrieved at your treatment of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure