How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth)

Comments

• tlck9
    tlck9 Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    how do I get my usage if I'm on Mac, I've checked my router and cannot see anywhere immediately that would give me usage?? its a belkin router so if its hidden please let me know.

Any ideas
  • This is fantastic, thanks very much. Up to now I've been checking pure bandwidth with online checkers, but this is much more substansial. Thank you
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Had it a week now, and projected use is 64.74 MiB, would that be 6.47 GB.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Had it a week now, and projected use is 64.74 MiB, would that be 6.47 GB.

Right click on the NetMeter taskbar icon, then Totals and it tells you in the Projected Tab, weekly and monthly figures.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Ken68
    Yes, Espresso, that what I dun, it says MiB not G.B.
  • espresso
    Yes, Espresso, that what I dun, it says MiB not G.B.

Don't really understand your problem. It projects weekly and monthly usage.

If you have used 64.74MB in one week, that would approximate to 280.5MB in one month. i.e. nowhere near 1GB. See here for explanation of KB, MB, GB etc.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Ken68
    My problem Espresso is that ISP's talk GB, your screenshots talk GB, yet my projected figures (for a month) talk Mib. Just can't believe that I am a very very very low user, with all the surfin I do and Radio 2 via bbc radio player, playing all the time.
    While you're here, another problem I have is having to come off low user with BT before knowing if the local exchange is unbundled for me to get a broadband/phone deal. If, say, Tiscali, who appear not so good, tho I am with them dial up can't do me a deal, then lumbered with BT full price at £10.50 plus calls instead of now £7.50 including all calls.
    Am silver surfer, as you know and normally do the gas board.
  • espresso
    My problem Espresso is that ISP's talk GB, your screenshots talk GB, yet my projected figures (for a month) talk Mib. Just can't believe that I am a very very very low user, with all the surfin I do and Radio 2 via bbc radio player, playing all the time.

If you are surfing on dial-up, it is much slower in comparison to BB so you are not likely to be using up GB's of bandwidth while you wait for pages to download. When you do get BB, you will find that you can do much more in less time and your usage will rocket compared to your dial-up usage.

While you're here, another problem I have is having to come off low user with BT before knowing if the local exchange is unbundled for me to get a broadband/phone deal. If, say, Tiscali, who appear not so good, tho I am with them dial up can't do me a deal, then lumbered with BT full price at £10.50 plus calls instead of now £7.50 including all calls.
    Am silver surfer, as you know and normally do the gas board.

You can see what is available to you on your exchange by looking on Samknows

There are hundreds of ISP's to choose from other than the big name rip off merchants. See here and here
  • Ken68
    Thank you Espresso. very good links. Reading them now. Looks like AOL, Sky, Talk or Uk online. Now to find a phone deal to go with it.
  • amizaki
    amizaki Posts: 166 Forumite
    In my flat we use 3 pc. so is there any way trace total usage without installing same soft in every pc & adding up ? can i trace from router ?
    thx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport