IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
UKPC - Gallagher Retail Park, Dundee
Views: 2,017
# 1
nordwand
Old 30-09-2013, 12:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default UKPC - Gallagher Retail Park, Dundee

Hi,
Just looking for the most up-to-date advice on this, appreciate any feedback.
Parking charge notice on windscreen this weekend whilst parked at Gallagher Retail Park, Dundee. Apparently there are signs (not immediately visable by any means) stating free parking for 2hrs as long as you display a ‘free’ parking ticket. Car was parked for approx. 1hr, upon return the applied charge notice states 60.00 payable within 14 days or it starts going up. Should we ignore this and any further correspondance? BTW it wasn’t the registered keeper driving. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
pogofish
Old 30-09-2013, 1:06 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 3,009 Times in 1,754 Posts

The most up to date advice for Scotland is unchanged - Just ignore the predators and all the threats they will send you, under various guises.

Some chancers have even gone as far as conning English courts into issuing papers against Scottish victims by neglecting to mention you are north of the border. This will be struck down as soon as you inform them of the fact. Although your chances of going even this far are very slim indeed.
The Following User Says Thank You to pogofish For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
silly_rabbit
Old 13-01-2014, 8:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default dundee Gallagher retail park ticket

How did you get on with your ticket? I just got one today. Was there for 15 mins n the swines got me.
# 4
bod1467
Old 13-01-2014, 9:14 PM

Thanked 5,764 Times in 3,518 Posts

No they did NOT get you. They applied an unenforceable speculative invoice to your vehicle, that you simply ignore. (As long as your car is not a lease or company car - i.e. you, or a related person, is the registered keeper). Keep copies of all correspondence, but DO NOT respond to them in any way. They (or rather their debt recovery agents) will claim court action is impending - this is utter bull, as UKPC have not taken anyone to court* within the past year, and certainly not in Scotland.

THIS ADVICE APPLIES ONLY FOR SCOTLAND AND NORTHERN IRELAND!

*They have been to court, but only when other people have taken THEM to court (and won).
Got a Parking Charge Notice (parking ticket - IT'S NOT A FINE!)? Go here for further info ...
Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking >
... and click on the NEWBIES sticky thread (4816822)
The Following User Says Thank You to bod1467 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Farmerswifey17
Old 12-02-2014, 4:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Ahhh car park charges

Hello, I got an 'invoice' whilst at the Gallagher retail park and appealed it before reading anything online. They have since got back to me today saying my appeal was rejected so I have since gone online and read up about it. I stated in my appeal I was feeding my 4month old in mothercare (although I was actually at debenhams but car park attendant told me to say mothercare)and included my name on it, I was driving but not the registered keeper of the car. Can I still ignore it even now they have my name? Really do not want to be spending 60 when I could spend it on my little girl!
# 6
bod1467
Old 12-02-2014, 7:07 PM

Thanked 5,764 Times in 3,518 Posts

They would need to take you to court for it - they won't. UKPC don't do court and certainly not in Scotland. All you'll get is a series of threatograms (some in CAPITALS and WITH RED INK, but all utterly toothless)

If they have a mental aberration and decide to do so, you would come back here for help with your defence.

Tell you what .. if they DO take you to court, you come here for help with your defence, and actually lose, I'll pay judgement for you.
Got a Parking Charge Notice (parking ticket - IT'S NOT A FINE!)? Go here for further info ...
Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking >
... and click on the NEWBIES sticky thread (4816822)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bod1467 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Coupon-mad
Old 13-02-2014, 8:16 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 33,184 Times in 13,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerswifey17 View Post
Hello, I got an 'invoice' whilst at the Gallagher retail park and appealed it before reading anything online. They have since got back to me today saying my appeal was rejected so I have since gone online and read up about it. I stated in my appeal I was feeding my 4month old in mothercare (although I was actually at debenhams but car park attendant told me to say mothercare)and included my name on it, I was driving but not the registered keeper of the car. Can I still ignore it even now they have my name? Really do not want to be spending 60 when I could spend it on my little girl!
Complain to the Store manager of both stores, and the Centre manager (Google the retail park). Tell them the PPC is breaching the Equality Act 2010 on breastfeeding issues, and cannot charge you for the time taken as that would be unlawful. Point out that the PPC is their agent and you would prefer it if they call their dogs off or you will collect all the letters and consider suing all parties for compensatory damages for harassment and EA breach.

In Scotland it is actually illegal to 'stop' a mother from feeding milk to her baby (even from a bottle). A sign deterring overstays has the potential to be viewed as illegal then, if challenged by someone like you in a car park which includes stores with plenty of baby equipment and feeding facilities. Clearly mothers and babies WILL be among the customers at this site so you can ask the Centre Manager what steps they have taken to avoid indirect discrimination under the EA?! None? Oh dear...
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 24-02-2014 at 10:23 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coupon-mad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Fru T Bun
Old 24-02-2014, 6:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi folks, my mother in law also received one of these tickets a few weeks back and we had the appeal rejected.
She has just received another letter today offering a reduced payment.

We spoke to matalan last week where she shopped on the day in question and they said they would assist another appeal if we produced receipts of the purchases made on the day which we still have.

Can anyone advise the best move next?

I realise i should have came here 1st before the appeal, however, now that we have appealed, does this make a difference or should we just ignore anything from now on?

Should we return to matalan for their help in another appeal?

Thanks for any advice.
# 9
Iceweasel
Old 24-02-2014, 6:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 1,006 Times in 632 Posts

Yes return to Matalan - show them your receipts - don't leave without them - they could take photocopies if they wish of course.

Hopefully they will cancel this, and you 'll get no more letters.

But either way you are not going to pay a penny.

Ignore all further other correspondence from the parking company.

The only thing you don't ignore is genuine court papers - and the chancesof that arriving is infinitesimal small - you have a much better chance of winning the lottery or getting a free ticket from Richard Branson to be a passenger on his rocket ship to the moon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iceweasel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Fru T Bun
Old 24-02-2014, 7:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceweasel View Post
Yes return to Matalan - show them your receipts - don't leave without them - they could take photocopies if they wish of course.

Hopefully they will cancel this, and you 'll get no more letters.

But either way you are not going to pay a penny.

Ignore all further other correspondence from the parking company.

The only thing you don't ignore is genuine court papers - and the chancesof that arriving is infinitesimal small - you have a much better chance of winning the lottery or getting a free ticket from Richard Branson to be a passenger on his rocket ship to the moon.
Many thanks for the reply.

We will pop down tomorrow
# 11
Coupon-mad
Old 24-02-2014, 10:18 PM

Why did you (seemingly, if you are in England/Wales) ignore the POPLA code in the rejection letter?! That was your GOLDEN TICKET, your chance to win if still in date! See the NEWBIES thread, second to top which you should have read first - tells you how to win at POPLA and how to check the date of your POPLA code.

If you have any other queries you need to start your own thread please as this is nordwand's thread and each case has to be separate due to facts/dates differing.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 24-02-2014 at 10:24 PM.
# 12
Fergie76
Old 24-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 1,051 Times in 624 Posts

If talking about same car park as op, then POPLA is not an option as the car park is in Scotland.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fergie76 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Coupon-mad
Old 24-02-2014, 10:23 PM

Good point - but who knows when these threads are hijacked?! After all, clearly Mum in law wasn't breastfeeding either!

The Following User Says Thank You to Coupon-mad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
MaxyChas
Old 09-04-2014, 8:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I got a ticket 4 months ago and took the advice to ignore all letters but today I got a voicemail from a company called Gordon and Noble who are Sheriff Officers in Glasgow. He has asked me to call re a parking problem. I haven't returned his call yet. Any advice on what this means now???
# 15
tykesi
Old 09-04-2014, 8:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Please start your own thread as posting on someone else's is hijacking which you agreed NOT to do when you signed up.

When you do please answer this

Quote:
took the advice to ignore all letters
Who's advice was this? Not ours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tykesi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Stroma
Old 09-04-2014, 8:41 PM

Thanked 6,797 Times in 4,152 Posts

It is our advice to ignore in Scotland. But please create your own thread on your situation MaxyChas
When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
We don't need the following to help you.
Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
# 17
pollyc
Old 11-04-2014, 8:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Gallagher Retail Park and Parking Fines

My advice is to ignore. In August 2013 I received a parking fine for 100 to be reduced to 60 on payment being received within a certain period. I was only in the parking area for about 30 minutes, admittedly I forgot to get a ticket for my car. However, I did not respond to any correspondence from the originator of the fine nor when it was passed on to a debt collection agency (with an English address) who threatened legal action alongside reducing the fine if I paid up! Eventually the letters stopped coming. Please don't feel scared, stand your ground and they WILL go away! IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE!! They don't have the 'clout' to bring legal action in Scotland!
The Following User Says Thank You to pollyc For This Useful Post: Show me >>