The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Sort 7 financial things in 7 days

Comments

• I've joined these challenges:
    Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge
    I'm going for £3000. I'm not actually sure how we're going to achieve this but we can look for jobs and opportunities to up our income. The New Year feels full of new possibilities!

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in December
    Previously, I've bought toiletries because they looked nice and never got round to using them, so now I'm going to save money and go through my 'stash'.

We Are Decking the Halls with NSDs December Challenge
    I'm going to go for 10 NSDs total and 4 in a row.

Daydream thread continues.....
    For people who dream of owning a smallholding or a house with loads of land.

Foraging Challenge 2012
    The challenge is to supplement your families food with one foraged item a week. I've always wanted to try foraging for food but not got around to it, so this challenge has inspired me to go for it. I'm not sure my family will so enthusiastic though!
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The toiletry thread is a great one to do. It's so easy to get lured into deals, offers etc. But we can only use so much of this stuff.
    My mum used to have one boujois blusher. We don't need loads of stuff :A
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • I started the Toiletries one in November - I inventoried everything and think I had around 180 items :eek:(not incl nail varnishes etc!). I did keep track of the use ups etc for a while but then lost track :o

I've only bought 2 new things since - both needed - and think some things will last for most of next year!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • mineallmine
    Forumite
    Progress update! Got quite a bit done now. It still feels hard and like a minefield reading through everything. But it's worth it. To know money will now be working harder for it's keep.This will definitely be a rolling 7 days challenge as I'm thinking of things to do once I've done this list. Things like get an up to date credit report :)
    1. Close an old savings account and cancel the standing order (yes I know this should be straightforward :o)
    DONE!

2. Open a new savings account with best rate etc

3. Get an ISA for this financial year, again with best rate
    DONE!

4. Check interest rate on old ISA. Consider transfer.
    PARTLY DONE... AWAITING TRANSFER FORM (WHY IS THIS SO COMPLEX?)

5. Do an up to date inventory of all monthly/yearly direct debits. Check through it.
    PARTLY DONE, SOME CHANGES STARTED/MADE

6. Reconnect the Energy Monitor. See what the thirsty lights/ appliances are. Think how to reduce energy usuage.

7. Research options for loft insultation top up (DIY, MSE newsletter offers)
    DONE!

Anyone want to join me? I'm starting tomorrow 6/12/12.
    :A

How's everyone else doing? :j
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
  • Progress update! Got quite a bit done now. It still feels hard and like a minefield reading through everything. But it's worth it. To know money will now be working harder for it's keep.This will definitely be a rolling 7 days challenge as I'm thinking of things to do once I've done this list. Things like get an up to date credit report :)

How's everyone else doing? :j

Sounds like you're making a load of progress there :)

I've been waylaid... Accountant has asked for paperwork, I just spent the last few days trying to find it :eek: I've found some of it, and was up till late lat night organising £2,700 worth of receipts (oops)

But, both my savings accounts are now open, I can start looking at a car at the end of this month (well, put money aside anyway) so that's excellent news as I haven't had one for probably 8 years :T

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • mineallmine
    Forumite
    This is a really good thread about current ISA offers http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=401374
  • mineallmine
    Forumite
    Sounds like you're making a load of progress there :)

I've been waylaid... Accountant has asked for paperwork, I just spent the last few days trying to find it :eek: I've found some of it, and was up till late lat night organising £2,700 worth of receipts (oops)

But, both my savings accounts are now open, I can start looking at a car at the end of this month (well, put money aside anyway) so that's excellent news as I haven't had one for probably 8 years :T
    Well done on the savings accounts :T And the prospect of a car :T
    I find looking on YouTube for some things help. So could you search for something like... how I organise papers for my accountant? Worth a punt?

Now crack on and find the rest of the receipts :j
  • Well done on the savings accounts :T And the prospect of a car :T
    I find looking on YouTube for some things help. So could you search for something like... how I organise papers for my accountant? Worth a punt?

Now crack on and find the rest of the receipts :j

Not unless it has a channel with someone telling me to look in the the "wicker basket in the cabinet, no not that one, the other one, well try behind the printer then, or down the back of the piano" :p

Ta for the support though :) I'm really chuffed about the prospect of a car, I don't really know how imminent it actually is, but this is the closest I've got yet, so I'm takin it! :D

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    rising_from_the_ashes Posts: 12,433
    Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 11 December 2012 at 10:19AM
    Making progress ..... slowly :o
    1. Write to bank to close old savings account & request a cheque for outstanding balance (only around £3 but hey ...)
    2. Write to old employer's pension agency to advise of change of address (moved in 2007 :o) and request update pension forecast * have found all pension paperwork ready to write letters - have also discovered a pension I'd forgotten about :o (tiny one & have tried to close / transfer it in the past which I can't & is a bit of a pain as it's never going to be worth anything!)
    3. Write to CU to increase salary deduction to savings account to £20 / month (have been meaning to do this all year:o)
    4. Financial filing - sorting through bags of old stuff from the "forgotten years" # 1 big bag left :) shredder overheated earlier:eek: so hoping it'll work again once it's cooled down!
    5. Start new DFW Diary DONE
    6. Sort out new ISA for 2012 monthly saver money (boiler fund) Form to sign arrived yesterday BUT it says to enclose a cheque for payment - when it said I could do the transfer online..... no idea where my cheque book is :eek: (it will be somewhere safe .... just where is the problem:o) DONE! Found cheque book (last cheque written in 2009 :rotfl:), completed, in envelope & sitting to take to post the next time I go out! ETA have just remembered to move the funds to the account that the cheque will be coming out of!
    7. Sort mobile cashback claim - recorded delivery returned by RM .... DONE! Turns out they'd moved :mad: all sorted now!:) (hopefully - will see if the cheque arrives!)

Have added my No 7!

Not going to make 7 in 7 days tho!:o

I do think it needs to be some sort of rolling list ..... I've ended up doing lots of little extra things that've cropped up as working my way through!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Sounds like you're making progress Rising :) I've found I've done other bits besides too. But it's all good. It's clearly stuff that needed to be done!

I found a claim form for about £80 that would have run out early in the new year. That's getting posted today :j

And Chop have you looked through the washing basket? The loft? The well!! :)

Hope everyone else is doing ok :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills