Royal mail online postage... question about recorded delivery.

I've just started using the Royal Mail service where you print and pay for your postage online.

Today's the first time I've bought recorded delivery labels... thinking I'd save time not having to queue up for half an hour! Well I've printed it off but there's no tracking number. Does this mean I still have to go to the Post Office and get a recorded delivery slip filled out? Can anyone tell me what to do? :o I'm a bit worried as most of the staff in my local PO don't know what they're doing half the time...

Comments

• pinkgem
    pinkgem Posts: 3,299 Forumite
    yes you still need to fill in a recorded delivery form from the post office as you need to get it stamped as proof that it was posted and you need to put the recorded delivery sticker on the parcel
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    For anything printed on line you still need to go to the Post office to get proof of postage /certificates of posting stamped otherwise you have no way of claiming loss from the RM.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • steviebabes
    steviebabes Posts: 2,030
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you are not bothered about proof of posting you can just stick the red recorded slip on and pay the correct price and put it in a post box. As recorded mail in only tracked when it is delivered you do not need to hand it in at a post office if it will fit in a post box.
  • chivvy
    chivvy Posts: 338 Forumite
    What I do is use standard 1st or 2nd class postage print and pay and there is always an alpha numeric code on the printout which RM use to see if the parcel has been posted otherwise you can claim the postage back (if you forget to post the parcel for example). Therefore, you can prove it was posted as RM can check that your parcel was put through their system.
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    chivvy wrote: »
    What I do is use standard 1st or 2nd class postage print and pay and there is always an alpha numeric code on the printout which RM use to see if the parcel has been posted otherwise you can claim the postage back (if you forget to post the parcel for example). Therefore, you can prove it was posted as RM can check that your parcel was put through their system.

The new claim forms require a paper proof of posting, RM will not pay out on self printed items unless the accompanying COP has been stamped at PO.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chivvy
    chivvy Posts: 338 Forumite
    But they have to admit it has been posted if it has been scanned in at one of their sorting offices, plus I keep all the confirmation emails sent me when I post using online payment so I have the Indicia number (scan code)for each item sent. Have only had to claim from RM once and that was for a parcel to Europe which they don't have to pay out for but did anyway as a gesture of goodwill.
  • ants97
    ants97 Posts: 135
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i just drop my parcels in to the post office and they give you a proof of postage thing with a stamp etc.

never had fill out another recorded delivery thing just use the labels then they give you a proof of postage.
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    chivvy wrote: »
    But they have to admit it has been posted if it has been scanned in at one of their sorting offices, plus I keep all the confirmation emails sent me when I post using online payment so I have the Indicia number (scan code)for each item sent. Have only had to claim from RM once and that was for a parcel to Europe which they don't have to pay out for but did anyway as a gesture of goodwill.

They really are very strict..no paper proof of posting stamped by a PO and no refund. At best you might get a book of stamps as a goodwill gesture.
  • scorpio13
    scorpio13 Posts: 449
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you are not bothered about proof of posting you can just stick the red recorded slip on and pay the correct price and put it in a post box. As recorded mail in only tracked when it is delivered you do not need to hand it in at a post office if it will fit in a post box.

Oh, i didn't know that.
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite

And if it goes missing ....do you have leg to stand on? I dont think so! As its not been stamped!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure