Paye - Claiming Back Expenses

Hi -

I am in FT employment within the Healthcare Recruitment industry (office based) and currently paid by PAYE. I am wondering what general expenses can be claimed back if any when being paid through PAYE. I've come across a few sites that suggest there may be an allowance for travel and meals whilst away on business, dry cleaning expenses, dental/medical/prescription charges, or I.T equipment I have purchased myself to use at work (Anti-RSI Keyboard and Mouse etc...)

Any help would be much appreciated - asking for a concise list might be pushing it!!

Thanks.

Comments

• kitty1801
    kitty1801 Posts: 180 Forumite
    Hi. It's difficult to define what you can/cannot claim as an expense, but the general rule is that it should be wholly, exclusively and necessarily for your duties. Things like commuting, clothes for work etc aren't allowed, but if, for example, your work clothes had a logo on it you could claim for the cost and upkeep. You would really need to justify any purchases/expenses and why they were necessary for your work.

Your best bet would be to contact your tax office by telephone and run it through with them. They can tell you what you can make a claim for and then you would most likely need to put that in writing.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,766
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Esko wrote: »
    an allowance for travel and meals whilst away on business, ...... or I.T equipment I have purchased myself to use at work (Anti-RSI Keyboard and Mouse etc...)

As a PAYE employee that sort of stuff should be paid for/supplied by your employer
  • kitty1801
    kitty1801 Posts: 180 Forumite
    Unfortunately, not all work related costs are reimbursed by employers, but I do agree that the IT equipment - required due to health & safety - should be a cost borne by the employer rather than the employee. Don't know whether there is actually any legislation about this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure