SmartPV for Solar Panels

I have existing panels (since 2011) and had a knock on the door from someone saying I could generate an additional 25% by installing a SmartPV onto my inverter.

Is this just another way for solar installers to make money from another source or is this legitimate. No idea of cost (they said it would repay in 6 months) and have a no obligation appointment on Friday.

Comments

• ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    It just monitors what's available and let's you know when you have watts to spare.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,580 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How can any device generate more electricity than the solar panels already do? Other than something that cuts shading or the like
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    jimjames wrote: »
    How can any device generate more electricity than the solar panels already do? Other than something that cuts shading or the like

...... magic?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds similar to something that I was offered over a year ago.

Take a look at this thread.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5453777

I have spoken to my installer in the last 6 months on another matter and they again asked if I was interested in it.

I said when they can show me 2 systems very close to one another. One with the PV+ system and one without and they could show me the improvement then I would happily buy it. Till then I feel its not worth squat!
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Had a visit from sales rep since original post.
    These were his stats
    Generation baseline is 2500kw/h per year which equates to an performance increase 625kw/h, which yields a return of £14478 for reminder of FIT or a 12.5% ROI and not to mention 338tonnes of CO2.

The price? A small £3500! By the way, if I want to be part of their marketing they will offer me a £250 discount. Sounds a bit like double glazing tricks!

Various guarantees were mentioned including the lifetime of the inverter and the panels. I did ask what if they went out of business (like my installer did) and he said of course they wouldn't and there would be indemnities (no further information was provided on this).

Apparently they have a new product coming out later this year to save 50% of my energy bills.

Safe to say I am not signing up.
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    malcbwest wrote: »

Apparently they have a new product coming out later this year to save 50% of my energy bills.

Yes, it's called a padlock and it fits on your gas meter.:rotfl:
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    malcbwest wrote: »
    Had a visit from sales rep since original post.

Hiya. What was the product they were offering? Was it something new and magical, or 'just' an upgrade to a SolarEdge system?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a call a couple of evenings back. Lovely woman who offered to sell me one of the thingy majiggers that add 20% to my generation.
    I was civil.....honest....until she hit me with the price then I kindly told her I'd researched their piece bit of kit and it was a complete waste of money, she then got a bit shirty so I told her to have sex and travel and not bother me again.
    Unluckily her number was withheld so I couldn't block her number with my CPR call blocker as I have a few friends who still insist on calling withheld5156.gif
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya. What was the product they were offering? Was it something new and magical, or 'just' an upgrade to a SolarEdge system?

They didn't go into specifics or have any literature. This is the only thing I can find on the internet but even this is a bit vague smartpv.co.uk
  • smartn
    smartn Posts: 296 Forumite
    Had the same visit myself today. As above no specifics or literature. Is it safe to say there is no miracle device that can increase my output by 25% like they are claiming?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure