estoppel passing on from grandad

124»

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    kitty4ever wrote: »
    Play a game of poker, claim you have clandestine recordings without ever showing your full, or part of your hand [recordings].
    agree to reveal clandestine recordings only after a full and final out of court settlement; then you don't.
    This sort of scenario only happens in novels. In the real world RAOTFLOL.
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Play a game of poker, claim you have clandestine recordings without ever showing your full, or part of your hand [recordings].
    agree to reveal clandestine recordings only after a full and final out of court settlement; then you don't.

So let's try that out. You communicate with someone and say "I have a recording of you saying things that will be damaging to your civil case, give me money and sign a non-disclosure agreement or I will reveal the recordings". The person with whom you are communicating records this discussion (sauce for the goose, etc) or, indeed, doesn't, but in either event goes to the police and makes a complaint of blackmail against you, escalating a civil case into a criminal one. Your move.
  • kitty4ever
    kitty4ever Posts: 14 Forumite
    how are recordings of third party deceased people blackmail? Mutual consent could have been given to record.
    "But afterward he sent his son to them, saying, 'They will respect my son.' "But when the vine-growers saw the son, they said among themselves, 'This is the heir; come, let us kill him and seize his inheritance.' "They took him, and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him.
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    how are recordings of third party deceased people blackmail? Mutual consent could have been given to record.

The blackmail comes from the threat, not the recordings themselves. Theft Act 1968, S.21.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure