Season ticket confusion

Options
smetin
smetin Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 12 May 2017 at 4:36PM in Public transport & cycling
Hey,

I am going to be starting my job in London from the 25th June and will be hoping to commute from Cheshunt --> St Paul's for 2 months. I went on nationalrail to see how much it would cost to commute and figured a season ticket would be cheaper. I went here to the national rail season ticket finder here ojp.nationalrail[dot]co[dot]uk/service/seasonticket/search

I then put in Cheshunt as my start point but could not put St Paul's as my end point. I assume that this is because it is not an overground station. The journey itself would be cheshunt --> kings cross --> get the underground to St Pauls. There I put Kings Cross as my end point. I was then quoted a price of £593 for 2 months but the ticket said "Cheshunt to London Zones 1-6". So does this mean I can use this ticket to go all the way to St Pauls? Also, would I also need to buy another season ticket for the return journey or does this price include the return journey?

Edit - i found that I can also go from Cheshunt --> Liverpool street --> St Pauls (i could cycle that part too since it is only 1mile). The price for that is 411 for 2 months. again, is this the price only for the inbound journey, or for a return?

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Season tickets can be used multiple times a day, 7 days a week both directions:)
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2017 at 5:28PM
    Options
    Cheshunt to Zones 1-6 includes the Underground (and London Buses, DLR and some other bits).

Cheshunt to Liverpool Street only covers National Rail. (Note that the Cheshunt trains only go to Liverpool Street and not Kings Cross).

Both of them can be used for unlimited journeys in both directions.

The Central line is very busy between Liverpool Street and St Pauls and you might struggle to get on, particularly in the evening.

Would you cycle using your own bike or Santander Cycles? You could even walk it, particularly in the summer months.
  • smetin
    smetin Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the reply! I see, that makes a lot more sense now. Well, i think i will just go for the Cheshunt --> Liverpool St ticket and then cycle from there. its only a mile! I was just a bit taken aback with how cheap it was for 2 months and thought it only covered the inbound journey. £411 for 2 months is pretty good!
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Seasons can also be used at intermediate stations on valid routes. So if you fancied a night out enjoying the attractions of Edmonton or Tottenham at the weekend you can travel there and back for free.
  • Adamskiodp
    Adamskiodp Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just remember-you cannot take your bike on the train in rush hour unless it's a folding one :p
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you end up going to Kings X then from there to City Thameslink is a. close to St Pauls and b. much easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure