First Direct Balance issues

13»

Comments

• TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    One of the things I like about spending on a credit card (virtually the only spending I do on a debit card is £100 p/m with TSB for the cashback) is that I always get the time from statement date to payment date (approx 3 weeks) to be aware what is coming out of my account.
  • In the 21st century it is ridiculous that decades-old systems at the main banks, couple with ancient work arounds from payment processing systems mean one should continually keep a mental figure of how much is in an account. Those arguing here are apologists for banks refusing, maybe now unable to change their working practices.

Recommendation to the OP: The way debit cards work is explained here http://brnt.cr/3SecSandwich and the explanation is from a new bank called Monzo, which very soon will be open for full business. It is the 21st century equivalent of the e-banks, like Cahoot, Smile, IF and First-e that kickstarted internet banking in the 90s. This year Monzo will launch alongside Starling, Atom and Tandem, and all promise real-time balance updates as standard. It maybe worth signing up for one of these, indeed Monzo is accepting users already.
  • I'll add... I already use Monzo for day-to-day spending and the balance is updated by iPhone notification quicker than it takes to print the receipt from the till.
  • Thank you for your reply. My available balance is still incorrect, I even called First Direct and they confirmed they had no record of a payment I made for £123 3 days ago and therefore had not been taken off available balance.

I will certainly check my settings with Paypal also
  • Exactly what I am talking about! :T
  • Thank you, interesting read, and will also look into Monzo.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The Paypal issue can be fixed relatively easily.
    Just use your debit card (as the funding source) instead of the bank account.
  • Bliss118
    Bliss118 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I completely agree I switched from Lloyd's to First Direct and I could always very easily see how much I had with Lloyd's the First Direct app is slow and painful will be switching again soon!
  • Basically....Barclays have much better systems than FD. Barclays display and deduct transactions as and when they take place meaning your balance is ALWAYS virtually a true reflection of your account.

First Direct don't have this real time in its computer software
  • I'd recommend Starling Bank, they've not opened up to anyone and not just beta. Payments are realtime!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure