Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dan2312
    • By dan2312 20th Mar 17, 11:29 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    dan2312
    How many of you have a secret bank account...
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:29 PM
    How many of you have a secret bank account... 20th Mar 17 at 11:29 PM
    That your wife\husband does not know about?

Just to put your own money away into to save up for yourself?

I'm thinking of opening a secret account so I can secretly save up, for personal reasons, its not for divorce. :P
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 20th Mar 17, 11:33 PM
    • 8,106 Posts
    • 12,216 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:33 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:33 PM
    All men have a squirrel fund. Those that say they don't are especially good at hiding it away.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 21st Mar 17, 6:19 AM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 1,149 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    • 21st Mar 17, 6:19 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 6:19 AM
    Anyone called Dan from Westhoughton whose wife or friends read this forum might be having an interesting breakfast!

You do realise others can see your posting history too?
    • Carolinemjs
    • By Carolinemjs 21st Mar 17, 6:30 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Carolinemjs
    • 21st Mar 17, 6:30 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 6:30 AM
    Oh dear this really made me laugh this morning, thank you ��������
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 21st Mar 17, 8:04 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 3,517 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 21st Mar 17, 8:04 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 8:04 AM
    Does a tin box under my desk with lots of 1p, 2p 5p and some old 50 pence coins qualify?

It wouldn't last long if I had to use it!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 21st Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 4,024 Thanks
    badger09
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    Something like this, perhaps?

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/women-are-not-the-only-ones-who-need-a-f-k-off-fund-1.2837118
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 21st Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 10,575 Posts
    • 54,855 Thanks
    edinburgher
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    Not me personally, but a relative had one in case a relationship with her now husband went south/he turned out to be completely irresponsible.

Ironically she is a mad sprendthrift and I think he had a lot more to worry about on that front

I keep some money in a separate bank account, but only because my wife doesn't save
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 21st Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    That your wife\husband does not know about?

Just to put your own money away into to save up for yourself?

I'm thinking of opening a secret account so I can secretly save up, for personal reasons, its not for divorce. :P
    Originally posted by dan2312
    I have instant access savings accounts but they are not really secret. My OH is not interested in financial matters. Not really unusual for a partner to have a secret money stash. Going back into the mists of time usually it was the wife/mother who had it as a family rainy day fund. My late mother had one.
    I don't think and I know I don't think so therefore I am. At least I think so. But hold on I don't think ... er ...
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 21st Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 4,423 Posts
    • 4,149 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    Anyone called Dan from Westhoughton whose wife or friends read this forum might be having an interesting breakfast!
    Originally posted by veryintrigued
    Quite Partridge-esque
    "We have a caller on the line who fears he may be a gay, he's married so we'll only refer to him by his Christian name. This is Domingo from Little Oakley."
    • mt99
    • By mt99 21st Mar 17, 1:39 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    mt99
    Remember, HMRC are in the process of populating your bank, savings etc accounts on your tax return so you will need to keep that secret too...
    • Gers
    • By Gers 21st Mar 17, 1:41 PM
    • 5,338 Posts
    • 30,038 Thanks
    Gers
    My mother had a Post Office savings account where she stashed money, no particular reason apart from the war legacy of 'being without'.

A friend of mine DID have a secret 'leaving husband' account which served her well the first time he hit her. She would take cashback when shopping and put it in the PO. Both were working in high earning jobs so she wasn't robbing him.

My accounts aren't secret but I do carry about my person a couple of high value banknotes, just in case - not too sure what the case may be but it makes me feel better. Again, it must be a legacy of my poverty days and memory of filling the car up with fuel and my card being declined in the 1980s.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 21st Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    If your secret account starts getting a bit full, do remember that you need to let someone know about it. Keeping it from your nearest and dearest while your alive is one thing, but if anything were to happen to you..........
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 22nd Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    I have accounts my other half for all intents and purposes knows nothing about (she doesn't know the account numbers, balances, etc), but I've never kept them *secret*. It's more a case of her being too busy to care and content enough for me to handle the expenses.
    • latest flame
    • By latest flame 22nd Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 856 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    latest flame
    All men have a squirrel fund. Those that say they don't are especially good at hiding it away.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    That is not true.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,275Posts Today

7,117Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin