IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Disable parking at Meadowhall

Comments

• mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    trisontana wrote: »
    That law in Scotland came into force at least three years ago (Disabled Persons' Parking Places (Scotland) Act 2009). Under it a landowner or PPC can invite the council to take over the running and policing of disabled parking bays in private car parks. It appears that the take-up has been very low as the PPCs don't want to lose this cash cow.

This just shows that the whole PPC business model is all about making money and not about regulating disabled parking bays.

I posted about this a while ago, the local bobbies were in Tesco(Scotland), booking people without badges in disabled spaces. And the ones on the double yellow lines outside the cash machines. While I'm all for people being stopped from parking in disabled bays when they shouldn't be parked there, I don't want to see PPC's making money from it.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mazza111 wrote: »
    I posted about this a while ago, the local bobbies were in Tesco(Scotland), booking people without badges in disabled spaces. And the ones on the double yellow lines outside the cash machines. While I'm all for people being stopped from parking in disabled bays when they shouldn't be parked there, I don't want to see PPC's making money from it.

Does the Disabled Persons' Parking Places (Scotland) Act 2009 also extend to coloured lines/road markings on private land as well?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    No I don't think so. Those lines, on private car parks/private entrance roads still mean nowt.

And how could the Council possibly enforce on private 'double yellows' when they KNOW that a person can park there if disabled?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Half_way wrote: »
    Does the Disabled Persons' Parking Places (Scotland) Act 2009 also extend to coloured lines/road markings on private land as well?

Quite a few Scottish retail parks are still owned by local councils, with parking and access roads part of the legal provision, so this could be the case here. Others may also still be owned by a council but with parking and factoring contracted out to a private operator and no legal enforcement.

However they are selling them off at quite a rate. My area got shot of their retail parks a few years back and only retained a few industrial parks - That was when PPCs really got a foothold.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Half_way wrote: »

No idea, it wasn't those with badges displayed that got ticketed. There aren't any signs to actually say it's private property so I imagine it's still owned by the council if the police were allowed to enter and issue tickets.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ManxRed wrote: »
    Just in case you're wondering, these companies are known to rock cars to get permits to slip down the dashboard. They make more money that way.

Go with pogofish's advice above.

Are you real :eek: Or just paranoid :rotfl:
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    It was certainly he case that clampers used to rock cars to dislodge permits, or take photos at bad angles to make the permit look unreadable. Any excuse when they could charge hundreds in cash every time and the motorist was pretty much stuffed.

CRIMS.

And a lot of ex-clamper firms are now fake PCN 'ticketers' so I am sure it still happens.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Are you real :eek: Or just paranoid :rotfl:

I'm real. And so is the statement I posted.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ManxRed wrote: »
    I'm real. And so is the statement I posted.

So why would the alleged lying criminals who allegedly work at Meadowhall who could see a blue badge on the dashboard, go to the trouble of rocking the car till it falls off the dash? :rotfl:

surely these alleged lying criminals will just issue an invoice and lie that the badge was never displayed;) sometimes pub talk and myth turns to paranoia. Do you also believe Elvis is on the moon working in a chip shop, reckon I heard that one last night in a pub, so must be true :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So why would the alleged lying criminals who allegedly work at Meadowhall who could see a blue badge on the dashboard, go to the trouble of rocking the car till it falls off the dash? :rotfl:

surely these alleged lying criminals will just issue an invoice and lie that the badge was never displayed;)

They do that as well. There was a thread about just this only a few days ago and there are plenty more if you have a root around in this forum.

There are also quite a few other "transgressions" that seem to be enforced more commonly against disabled drivers. Maybe because they are more credulous of the scam and also because of the widespread ignorance of the legal status of BBs on private property, making them more likely to pay-up, despite being some of the hardest pressed financially.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure