Cash as a wedding gift - any advice??

Comments

• nadnad
    nadnad Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    i don't have a problem giving money for a wedding gift, me and OH had been living together for 5 years before getting married and we did ask for money or vouchers. we did keep a note of what everyone gave us and in our thank you letters we told them what the money had went towards.

Some people did give us gifts and I appreciated all of them of course, however there are some I would never use (eg photo frames that aren't my taste, 3 sets of salt and pepper mills! etc and these were given to charity) and I think thats where a wedding list comes in handy.

The problem for us was that there was really nothing smaller we needed that could put on a wedding list, we, like the couple in the OP's post wanted to do bigger things to our house - new bathroom, new floors down and all the money we got went towards that.

I know that people have a real dislike of giving money, but at the end of the day wouldn't you rather give money that is appreciated and put towards a good use eg housey things, or would you rather give something that hasn't necessarily been asked for and run the risk of it being unsuitable? I'm talking here about things that come down to personal taste (ornaments, crystal etc).

However having said all that I think that any vouchers for anything will always be appreciated.
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

norn iron club member no.1
  • sunflower_2
    sunflower_2 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    i am in a similar situation

good friends of ours are getting married and have asked for cash as their pressies (only after i asked if there was enything they wanted - they didnt expect anything)

i am wanting to give £50 but am a bit scared of it going astray at the party, or that they wont remember who its from etc

i was thinking of writing a cheque, but thought they may feel cheeky/uncomfortable cashing it (i think i would)

i like the photo frame idea - but am already pushing the budget with £50 so dont really want to fork out anymore

any ideas?
  • ooo000ooo
    ooo000ooo Posts: 577 Forumite
    My better half and i are getting married next year, we've been living together for a few years and don't need any household stuff, we're not the sort that collects ornaments and we've every gadget known to man. We don't have a wedding list and to be honest i'd feel guilty sending one to people as, in the past, any wedding list i've seen seems to have a load of expensive luxuries that people would like but wouldn't actually pay for out of their own pockets as they know it would be a waste of money. We'd be happy if people offered to help us with the practical side of the day (flower arranging/making invitations etc.) to help us stay on budget or maybe slip us a couple of dollars for our honeymoon in Vegas (probably the only time we'll ever get there). As long as they turn up on the day that's our main concern. I wouldn't feel cheeky/uncomfortable cashing a cheque :)
  • got to agree with many of the posters i find it quite rude people asking for cash, we were invited to a wedding party a few years back, and i was offended that the wedding list was included, we barely knew the couple, realy unsure why we were actually invited !!! they asked for contributions to pay for thier plush day and split up 10 months later !!!!! when people have been living togather i think it is a tad rude to expect gifts and have a wedding list, but everyone appreciates vouchers ... we all need towels or new bedding at some stage in our life time !!!!
  • nadnad
    nadnad Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    i think everyone is getting the idea of a wedding list (and even cash) all wrong. at the end of the day nobody is going to go to a wedding empty handed. the guests very often dont have a clue what to buy and I would say most appreciate there being a wedding list. it just makes things easier - most people who do a wedding list will have a wide range of gifts on it ranging from £10 to whatever, so you can still spend what you want but at least you know you are getting something that will be appreciated and you know no one else will have got. gone are the days when people get 5 toasters - and I can't say that thats a bad thing - can you?
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

norn iron club member no.1
  • Guinea_2
    Guinea_2 Posts: 505 Forumite
    I would ask for cash but that is because my partner and I are planning on going to Australia for six months. THAT is what the money will be going towards. We won't be asking for presenst but if people ask then we will tell them money and the reason. I don't think it is vulgar at all.
    Give people what they want instead of making a stand. It's not worth it.
    :love:Baby Bump born 4th March 2010! :kisses:
  • Caixta
    Caixta Posts: 226 Forumite
    Lillibet wrote:
    How about a bottle of champers with a tag attached saying that it's to christen the completed conversion?

Brilliant idea! Don't grand building projects (eg Wembley Stadium) have a "topping out ceremony" ? Champers would fit very well with that!
    "By not unsettling men, you will reassure them. By unsettling men either through timidity or malice, you are always compelled to keep a knife in hand." - Niccolo Machiavelli, 1469-1527
  • taxspider
    taxspider Posts: 25 Forumite
    nadnad wrote:
    i think everyone is getting the idea of a wedding list (and even cash) all wrong. at the end of the day nobody is going to go to a wedding empty handed. the guests very often dont have a clue what to buy and I would say most appreciate there being a wedding list. it just makes things easier - most people who do a wedding list will have a wide range of gifts on it ranging from £10 to whatever, so you can still spend what you want but at least you know you are getting something that will be appreciated and you know no one else will have got. gone are the days when people get 5 toasters - and I can't say that thats a bad thing - can you?

I quite agree - pretty much no one would go to a wedding empty handed, and far from being rude to send a gift list round, it is an established tradition as far as my experience goes. Ok, so you hope it gets to you early on so that some of the cheap things are still on the list, but the happy couple know how much you have spent because you put your name to that present anyway.

Like others, my partner and I are getting married in September, but we've both done this before and have a house full of stuff and no need for presents. We have told people we don't want presents and this has been met with comments such as "oh, but we have to get you something". We have therefore told people that whilst we do not want any presents, if anyone really wants to give us something then there will be a piggy bank in a corner during the afternoon and they can contribute if they want. This has been met with approval all round - by many because it means they will actually probably spend less, in both money and time. No worries about finding nice (usually expensive) wrapping paper, nor about breaking the present en route or it getting squashed in the boot or left on the train, and no tramping around town for hours trying to find the damn thing in the first place!

We will spend the money on turning our planned holiday at New Year into a more of a honeymoon in terms of possibly having some money to spend whilst we are away instead of not having treats. The holiday is on a very tight budget and is only at New Year because commitments with our respective children seriously limit our available leave during the rest of the year - at least at New Year you get a few 'free' days off without eating into your annual leave allowance.

On a kind of money saving aspect re the wedding itself, we don't want a traditional reception as it's not appropriate really, so we are having a bring and share picnic where we provide the drinks and some nibbles and all the guests bring a picnic to share. So far all we've had is positive feedback to the idea.

Whatever you do you need to feel comfortable with it, but I would also hazard a guess that the happy couple has also agonised over the issue before you have done anyway.

Good luck!
  • scotgirl
    scotgirl Posts: 805 Forumite
    I have read this thread with interest. I am getting married in December and have not quite decided how to approach the gift list thing (would never ask for cash). On one hand I think it is like asking for a gift and makes people feel like they have to buy somehing and the bride and groom know the price.

On the other hand I have been to weddings with gift lists and it is fab just to log on to the internet and have the hassle taken out of gift buying. It is nice to know you are getting the couple something they want and need.

Think we may do a small one and only tell people if they ask.

By the way Tribal - loved the point abou Prince Charles!!!!
    The Best Things in Life Are Free
  • Mrs_Optimist
    Mrs_Optimist Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    I'm going to sound really tight now .......

I never give more than a card if we are invited to an evening do. If we are invited to a wedding then I either check the wedding list and buy from that OR buy gift vouchers (normally 40-50 quid). When we got married we were already living together and had everything. We had a very small list of ideals from Argos which if peopole asked we referred them to that - we did not ask for money or anything else - we were just glad that they gave up their day/evening to help us celebrate. As it happens we ended up (by default) with all of the list being brought and tons of gift vouchers and money - as opposed to friends of ours who were married 5 months after us who had a very strict list and people just did not bother with it because they felt it was expected of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure