PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Comments

• I used to have a slow cooker years ago and I seem to remember the instruction book saying that poultry had to be brought to the boil before putting in the slow cooker. Kills off any salmonella I suppose.
  • Thanks! I'll just have to think of something else to use up this bowl of granny smiths then as they've been sitting here a couple of weeks or more now :o

You could just boil them up with a bit of sugar and let cool and freeze them in containers. Apple pies & crumbles on the menu when you feel like pud. BTW I made the orange curd. I wasn't that fussed. I love lemon though.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• bbabs
    bbabs Posts: 41 Forumite
    polynesian pork

8 pork chops
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 teaspoon of rosemary(dried)
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup honey

combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover, cook on high for 5-6 hours

You could use chicken thighs or turkey steaks instead of pork.

I usually serve this with egg-fried rice see below

Egg fried rice

2 tbsp veg oil
    2 eggs beaten
    75g bacon bits (i use the ones from lidl)
    250g rice, cooked, leftovers from the day before
    50g peas cooked
    1 tbsp light soy sauce
    grounds black pepper

Heat a wok with one tbsp of the oil over a moderate heat and pour in the beaten eggs. Tip the pan around so that the eggs set in a thin layer - much like a pancake. When cooked, transfer the omelette to a chopping board and cut into small pieces about 2cm square.

In the same wok, heat the remaining 1 tablespoons of oil and fry the bacon until crisp. Tip in the cooked rice followed by the peas and omelette pieces and heat rice through until piping hot. Season with the soy sauce and a pinch of black pepper.

Make sure that the rice is really hot before serving
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Would it be possible when people post their slow cooker receipes could they post their cooker size too. My slow cooker is only 2.5 litre and this would give me an idea of how much to reduce the receipe by.
    Thanks
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Hi, I am still quite new to my slow cooker. Have mastered the beef casserole which takes 4 hours high or 8 on low, but just wondering how long approx a chicken casserole would take. Would it cook quicker than beef or is everything in a slow cooker the same sort of times. Also any ideas how long a rice pudding would take? Thanks
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We're back on one of those how long is a piece of string type questions where how much you are making and whether or not you start with cold liquids in the pot or with hot ones but most of my recipes give similar times for chicken casserole as for beef, some actually an hour longer.

Rice pudding - 1.5 pint (1 ltr ish) from cold on low for 4-6 hours... that's with 3oz (75g) rice and DON'T FORGET to butter the pot first! :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks Bbabs - I had just started to look for something to do in the slow cooker for tomorrow. It sounds just right!
  • thanks squeaky. Will try it tomorrow.
  • bbabs
    bbabs Posts: 41 Forumite
    jaybee wrote:
    Thanks Bbabs - I had just started to look for something to do in the slow cooker for tomorrow. It sounds just right!

No probs this is really nice don`t be put off with the large portions I just put the extra into the freezer.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    1.8 kg chicken
    1 lemon, quartered
    4 cloves garlic
    4tbsp olive oil
    100g butter
    4tbsp dry white wine
    3tbsp freshly chopped parsley

Heat oil & butter together in frying pan and quickly brown chicken on all sides, before transferring to slow cooker.

Put lemon quarters and one clove of garlic, crushed, into body cavity of chicken.

Slice remaining garlic and add to oil/butter along with parsley and stir for a couple of minutes. Add wine to de-glaze pan and simmer to allow flavours to blend a few minutes then pour over the chicken in the slow cooker.

Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours!

*Taken from Annette Yates - Recipes for your Slo-cooker
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure