PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Le_Foot
    Le_Foot Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone. Im looking at the monthly grocery challenge with interest, as I too need to rein in on my spending.
    One question...and the answer is probably on here somewhere, but eluding me...do we include cleaning products, and none food items. which although not strictly 'groceries', are essential to preparing and feeding the family?
    Thanks,
    Jackie
    Feb. G.C. From Jan 26th £350.00
    First month..pure guess!! Wk. 1 £136.38 balance £213.62. Wk.2 £108.10p balance £105.52
  • Mrs_T_M
    Mrs_T_M Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    Options
    Le_Foot wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Im looking at the monthly grocery challenge with interest, as I too need to rein in on my spending.
    One question...and the answer is probably on here somewhere, but eluding me...do we include cleaning products, and none food items. which although not strictly 'groceries', are essential to preparing and feeding the family?
    Thanks,
    Jackie

Each person decides this for themselves. They decide what to include or exclude. Some people include everything, pet food, toiletries, cleaning products, etc. Some people do not. It's up to the individual. :)

Hope that helps!
    Baby Dale
    26th January 2014 - Forever in our hearts
    :A
    Eli Gabriel 19th February 2015
    :j
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Please put me down for £300 for 2 adults + 9 cats. Starting this Friday - bust January's budget skyhigh so intend to do better this month!
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I,m gonna risk it for a biscuit and go for £300for Feb, a 4 week month and have loads in the freezer so should (fingers crossed) be able to do it :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • missmoneysave
    Options
    Can I join in please?

We don't do too badly but I would like to keep a better track on our spending.

Can I pledge £180 for the month please? That is for me (breakfast, lunch, dinner- not a snacker), OH (dinner every night, breakfast and lunch at weekends and constant snacking :mad:) and Ian the dog (only has dry dog food and the occasional dog treat, cheap to maintain and he's healthy and happy)

I will start posting here on around the 27th as that is when our month resets.

Thanks for the thread and good luck everyone!
    Comper, Blogger & OS-er
    Competition prizes: £6/£2015
  • JellyBox
    JellyBox Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Right, first time doing this, OH has agreed to take part with me, so is aware that his midweek trips to Mr S will be included, so he needs to cut these down as well as me doing the same for the weekly food shop! We're starting with, what ought to be, an easy target of £160 for the month, £40 a week. This is to cover everything we need on a weekly basis, so toiletries, cleaning products and food.

This ought to be simple, I've built up a good freezer stock this month and I don't think any cleaning stuff will run out either. Hopefully we will be under budget and then the spare can go in to my savings!

(don't know what happened to the size here, still struggling to work this forum!)
  • mrsdwhite
    Options
    Put me down for £200 for the month please. Should just about de do able...:o

Already had my first shop for Feb as I was paid on Friday. £57.59 so got a bit of pulling back to do.
    I really do need to start organising everything with inventories and meal planning. Does anyone have any tips on getting started?
  • Roadside
    Roadside Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 January 2013 at 10:59PM
    Options
    I would like to join in as well. Just myself and OH at home now, plus Satan's Little Helper, aka Stanley the dog.(Do still find myself feeding kids and grandkids several times a week)
    Could you please put me down for £170for the month, I will be starting from 25th, payday thank goodness, January is so long.
    I am fed up with all the wasted food we have had in the past, I need to get out of the habit of cooking for an army, and I seriously need to put some money by for things that desperately need doing around the house, and to save for newer car and a washing machine.
  • Captain_Bluebear
    Options
    Hi there. May I join in please?

I've lurked on these threads for literally years but Would really love the extra support of like minded people.

I'm going to try to keep to £180 This will be for Myself and my two 18 year old sons (and Boy....they can eat!) My month will start on Friday (25th)

Have really got myself organised over the last few weeks and am working my way through the freezers and cupboards etc Now I just need to stop just nipping to the shop as and when. Also have really enjoyed several NSD's in the last couple of weeks...I just hope I can keep this up!

Thank you to everyone that has made this thread possible.
  • hamish222
    Options
    Failed miserably in Jan. Going for £300 in Feb. No excuse not to do it as away for weekend in Feb and have freezer full meat.
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure