Your "Free Sample" from Silkies (not really)

Options
:mad: Requested for a pair of "Free Sample" Silkies trouser socks a couple of months ago. The "free sample" came through the post quickly but received a further 3 pairs of trouser socks today requsting to a payment of around £12.00 for them! Definately sending them back and refuse to pay for them!

This is extremely bad marketing stragtegy and demaging to the brand's reputation. If I feel the product is good one then I will go and find them in the shop when I next need some rather than being forced to buy them! Need to named and shamed company like this!

So be warn when you next see Silkies "free samples" advertised!

Comments

• debs626
    debs626 Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    I had the same thing happen early last year. I just sent them back with NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS written on the package. Have not heard anything since.

Totaly agree with the bad marketing ploy !!! should be named and shamed !!!
    MSE:-)MoneySpendingExpert (-:
  • JOE_MILLIONAIRE_2
    Options
    KEEP AWAY FROM SILKIES!

Also know as HCI

It is all one big scam with the free pair, as mentioned in the previous thread they will not just send 1 free pair to you.
    It will come with "YOUR PREVIOUS SHIPMENT" that you may have previous placed an order for.

If you accept this free pair with the others, you are looking at 18 months of receiving telephone calls and mail shots.

GOOD LUCK.
    micheal5kr.gif
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome to MSE, Sioul. I've moved your post over to the warnings board, as it might help other users who are considering this offer. :)
  • magoogy
    magoogy Posts: 2,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i just told them i had never received the package and never ordered it in the first place - i would never order from them and to leave me alone unless they had proof i had received it - i never heard off them again..............and i got the tights for free, but, they shouldnt have sent them - i think there is a guideline in the law against this type of selling so you are covered - but, not too sure - it worked for me though.............
  • slinks
    slinks Posts: 698 Forumite
    Options
    when i received my free silkies it clearly stated that unless i cancelled i would receive further shipments. i reckon the person who posted it online didn't mention that this would happen (or didn't know) :) i cancelled in writing immediately and haven't heard a thing back. sounds obvious but read the info when you receive your freebies!! ;)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree slinks. I saw this offer a while back and was tempted, but I'm sure I saw something at the time of application which said further shipments would be forthcoming unless I cancelled. I didn't think it was worth the hassle so I passed.

I have heard of others who have received tights which they never ordered though. Perhaps one to be avoided?
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • slinks
    slinks Posts: 698 Forumite
    Options
    i for one won't be ordering from them again - but... u live 'n' learn!! oh the joy of freebie hunting lol
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Options
    If you are sent 'unsolicited goods' then they are yours to keep unless the sender gives you the wherewithal to return them.
  • Freebie_Hunter_2
    Options
    How can a free pair of tights be a scam??!!
    Looks like user error and a lack of 'reading the paperwork'!

The reason why they send Silkies out ot you is because you can't buy that brand in the shops. They do actually tell you this!

If you want to 'name and shame' then start by looking in the mirror. I have taken up the free offer many times and one quick phonecall soon stops any further orders. Simple as that.
    Watch out people. You don't know what lurks around the corner for you![/SIZE]
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How can a free pair of tights be a scam??!!
    Looks like user error and a lack of 'reading the paperwork'!

The reason why they send Silkies out ot you is because you can't buy that brand in the shops. They do actually tell you this!

If you want to 'name and shame' then start by looking in the mirror. I have taken up the free offer many times and one quick phonecall soon stops any further orders. Simple as that.

That's all very well, but heard of this while ago from a very elderly friend who had responded to the advert, and was quite shaken by the results of their demands for payment. Unfortunately haven't seen their advertising, but I suspect that the paperwork is in extremely small writing. Am having bother myself now reading that! Think all those little extras should be in same size of type as rest of offer, so there can be no mistakes on anyone's part. If there is nothing to hide, why should the type be set so small? Grrrrrr!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure