PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any "embarrassing" money saving things you do?

Scr1mper
Scr1mper Posts: 10
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 10 May 2016 at 3:50PM in Old style MoneySaving
There's probably dozens of threads for this but can't see one with a quick look. I'm a singleton money saver/scrimper/cheapskate and was just sitting here thinking I couldn't ever possibly live with anyone again otherwise my money saving would go out of the window :) What do you count as embarrassing/something you wouldn't chat about in the canteen at work/over the fence with the neighbours? I don't (think I ) waste any money... I work part time and am lucky enough to be mortgage free (in a tiny flat) due to years (and I mean YEARS) of saving and the right-to-buy scheme. OK so here goes. I bath every other day unless it's a special occasion :D I don't empty the bath (unless I know someone's coming round ha!) so I can use the water (bucket on standby in the bathroom) to flush the toilet, clean the floors and clean the balcony. I do most of my laundry in said bathwater but only when necessary. I would never even wear jeans two days running for years but now they last for ages, plus less washing means they fade slower :) I only change the bed every couple of months~I pull the duvet back every morning and have the window wide open (yes even in winter) to air the bed so it feels fresh every night. It's only me who sleeps in it and it never stinks lol. I stuff my face (for free) when I go to work so for at least the next few hours I don't need to eat when I get home~I even have a wee before I leave. I rarely use the heating (I don't let visitors freeze~not that mean but I do secretly wish they'd bring a jumper ;) ) and have an electric blanket for my sofa, or I sit in bed if it's too cold. I have 6 or 7 bank accounts and have standing orders set up for the likes of holidays (cheap UK ones), Christmas/gift buying, and service charges for the flat. I am super stingey with my shopping and only buy own brands unless it's toothpaste or tea bags. I feel like a bit of an imposter on this site as I am saving £100s each month but am going without what I would call luxuries (except the cheap hols) to do so. I don't drive either.
So fess up~what do you do that you wouldn't tell people about? (yup, I'm looking for more ideas!)
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    WARNING... Too Much Information

Back in the 80s I worked with a chap who was very proud that he'd hold on and poop at work. He said it saved his missus moaning, saved loo roll AND - this is where he was most proud - he got paid whilst on the throne too :rotfl:.

We were in public service and he called it 'important government work'.

Funny what you remember of the good old days isn't it?
    :hello:
  • dirty_magic
    dirty_magic Posts: 1,145
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    What are you saving 100s each month for if you don't have any luxuries? I'm all for saving money on essentials but you can't beat getting into a freshly made bed and clean PJs. I am trying to wash jeans less because it does ruin them.

You can't take it with you when you go! :A
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Back in the 80s I worked with a chap who was very proud that he'd hold on and poop at work. He said it saved his missus moaning, saved loo roll AND - this is where he was most proud - he got paid whilst on the throne too :rotfl:.

so if you got paid 20 pound a hour and spent 6 minutes in the bog. you get paid 2 pound for having a !!!! :T:T
    Well done that man, and free toilet paper:T:T
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,917
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I use paragraphs. Is it just me doesnt even read these blocks of text because they are not broken up.

re the title.. why would anyone do something they were embarrassed about.. its noone elses business!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I take a few extra nappkins at fast food places
    and if you dont have ice in a coke you get more coke,
    you could ask for a glasss of ice aswell.
    another one is if you get lager and lime, ask for a lager and a small shot of lime in a Separate glass and you get more beer.. lol ha ha

btw Separate is the second most common spelt word ..it does look wrong tho[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans serif][SIZE=+1][/SIZE][/FONT]
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Scr1mper
    Forumite
    pigpen wrote: »
    I use paragraphs. Is it just me doesnt even read these blocks of text because they are not broken up.

re the title.. why would anyone do something they were embarrassed about.. its noone elses business!

If you don't like the post, why have a niggle about it? It's supposed to be light-hearted~just scroll past!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

When I was first in the Civil Service, the loo paper at work was the nasty hard bum-scratchy stuff, and every sheet had "Government Property" printed on it in green ink.

I mean.... did they want it back after we'd finished with it? :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    :rotfl:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Scr1mper
    Forumite
    What are you saving 100s each month for if you don't have any luxuries? I'm all for saving money on essentials but you can't beat getting into a freshly made bed and clean PJs. I am trying to wash jeans less because it does ruin them.

You can't take it with you when you go! :A

Without going into too much detail, 2/3 of the savings are to help a family member. The rest is to go towards a bigger place some time in the future (hopefully). I do keep having these urges to go out and spend the bloody lot though! :rotfl:
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    You sound a bit like me, OP, but beware, you will get called all kinds of nasty names if you give too much away, I should know. Some things best kept private.

You must have a lot of money stashed away somewhere, you can't take it with, no pockets in shrouds, always get mentioned. You must stink, it's a wonder you get any visitors if you don't have the heating on, no teabags for guests, etc etc. Be ready.

Ilona
    aka Meanqueen
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,917
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Scr1mper wrote: »
    If you don't like the post, why have a niggle about it? It's supposed to be light-hearted~just scroll past!

because noone would ever learn the high value of paragraphs.. :D

And I like to irritate people .. its a gift <3

and I am really, really bored and had a reply.. and it is posted on a public forum therefore asking for responses.

I couldnt read the post.. it made my eyes wiggle..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts