PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bananas and Pop Tarts

Hello :) Good Afternoon.
Hope the day is finding you good.

I have a lot of bananas going bad, I asked on a FB group yesterday what to do with them and got a good recipe of mashed bananas mixed with oats (we also added some chopped up leftover easter chocolate) and baked in the oven. I didn't think much of them but my 3 year old is enjoying them which is great.
We also made some banana cupcakes.

Does anyone have any other ideas other than pancakes or banana ice cream? We do often get reduced bananas so it would be nice to have a few stand by options.

Also we have some chocolate flavoured pop tarts which nobody seems keen on, they were a whim a few months back and our cupboards are almost empty so i'm keen to think of a way to use them up as they're expensive and i don't want to throw them away. Especially given we're on a tight month.
Everything is always better after a cup of tea

Comments

• PenguinOfDeath
    PenguinOfDeath Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    Banana bread or banana muffins?
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Could you finely chop the pop tarts and use as the chocolate pieces bit in some muffins?

Or crumb them down (add rich tea if more crumbs needed) with some melted butter and a wee bit of sugar and use as the base for a fruit tart or cheesecake?
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Have you tried the pop tarts cold (not toasted)?

They're much nicer (to me) just out of the box grab and go style.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Chop, freeze, wait for a hot day, and throw in food processor to make a very low calorie 'ice cream'. Need no extra ingredients, amazing just like that :)
  • dehydrate slices for banana chips?
    i know it can be done but i have no idea how myself, i am a fan of those chips though :)
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Cook the poptarts, then carefully slice them open and put some sliced banana in there (and maybe some marshmallows if you've got them). It'd work for a quick pudding ...

Bananas also freeze well, you can either chuck them in the freezer unpeeled and then take them out when you need them for banana bread or smoothies, or freeze them peeled. There are loads of ideas on the internet for frozen banana 'lollies'.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Couple of ideas for bananas:

Quick one:
    Mashed with a sprinkling of cinnamon onto freshly-made wholemeal toast. Yum!

Slightly more preparation:
    Mix with equal amount of fresh diced pineapple (I have a useful husband who cuts the pineapple for me :D ), mix up a crumble topping (I make mine with oats and butter and a bit of brown sugar) - makes a delicious crumble; you just bake it in the same way as you would for apple crumble. Serve with custard, if you wish. Also Yum!
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Love the idea of making it into a cheesecake base!

Everything is always better after a cup of tea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport