Help! paying out to the claims guys..

Hiya, I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of advice.
Nearly two years ago someone from the claim guys rang me up asking if I had a credit card etc and then told me they would get me my money back on all the ppi I had paid since having the card, me being a rather naive 22 year old thought this sounded like a great idea! Anyway after about 6-8 months I got around 700 pounds back and had to pay the claims guys around 300 (I have of course since realised I should of done the whole thing myself so as to not involve those money grabbers!!) So as far as I was concerned that was the end of that, then in July I had a text from them telling me my claim had been successful and to give them a call, I thought this was just some mistake and ignored it however a couple of days later I had a letter from Lloyds telling me that as a final response to my complaint they were going to pay me 1347.00.
Since then I have been receiving daily calls from the claims guys demanding I pay them their money, is this right that they get a share in this considering as far I was concerned I already paid their share last time and have had no contact with them since then?
Also I am still waiting for that money despite it being 3 months ago that I got the offer and I am dubious of paying the claims guys before I actually get the money! Up until now I have been dealing with someone from the company who has been reasonably understanding and just rings to see if I have it yet and then says he will keep chasing it up however today I had a horrible call from a woman claiming to be in charge of my accounts and telling me I had to oay them what I owe by Friday.

Thank you

Charlotte

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Since then I have been receiving daily calls from the claims guys demanding I pay them their money, is this right that they get a share in this considering as far I was concerned I already paid their share last time and have had no contact with them since then?

Yes you should pay them. You employed them on a percentage basis where you agreed to pay them x% of your redress payment. The money has arrived in two chunks. However, that doesnt mean you should only pay them on the first chunk.
    Also I am still waiting for that money despite it being 3 months ago that I got the offer and I am dubious of paying the claims guys before I actually get the money!

You dont pay them until the money is in your bank. Just in case it is an error. Tell the claims company that you havent had the money yet.
    today I had a horrible call from a woman claiming to be in charge of my accounts and telling me I had to oay them what I owe by Friday.

Tell them that at this point you owe them nothing as Lloyds have not paid you. If they want to get paid then they should chase it for you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • can i ask the name of the claims company?
  • Tell them you haven't had the money yet and offer them 20% of what they want.
  • Nuttygooner
    Nuttygooner Posts: 49 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2011 at 11:27AM
    Tell them that x% of zero is zero, they will get precisely that amount, as, to this date, what you have received from Lloyds regarding the second claim is precisely zero!

Get them to chase it for you, and make them work for their money, after all, it is what they are being paid for!
  • It's with the claims guys, they're telling me that I have to pay before I even get the money as it is in their contract but I don't recall that ever getting mentioned before, but they were using all sorts of scare tactics last time they rang about what would happen if I didn't hand over the money so I am a bit worried about refusing.

Thank you
  • ? How can they stop you receiving the compo? Call the lender to ask what is going on.
  • sara79
    sara79 Posts: 16 Forumite
    i also have simalar problem ,i went with a debt management company in 2009 who passed my details on to claim company and at the time it was a good idea but since then i went bankrupt in 2010 i informed them of this and assumed that was the end of it untill lloyds sent me a letter saying this company had tryed to gain access to my account details last year and if i wanted them to have access i would have to sign a form if not then they would sort it out with me so because i had gone bankrupt i didnt see anypoint of signing the form seen as i wouldnt get the money ,i received a letter from lloyds in july offering a refund but on the letter it says that it would go to the official receiver since then ive had call after call from the claims company saying they wanted me to pay a large amount of money and yesterday i got a final demand to pay by friday ,i dont have any money to give them nor will i ,any suggestions on what i can do
  • Talk to the OR.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sara79 wrote: »
    i also have simalar problem ,i went with a debt management company in 2009 who passed my details on to claim company and at the time it was a good idea but since then i went bankrupt in 2010 i informed them of this and assumed that was the end of it untill lloyds sent me a letter saying this company had tryed to gain access to my account details last year and if i wanted them to have access i would have to sign a form if not then they would sort it out with me so because i had gone bankrupt i didnt see anypoint of signing the form seen as i wouldnt get the money ,i received a letter from lloyds in july offering a refund but on the letter it says that it would go to the official receiver since then ive had call after call from the claims company saying they wanted me to pay a large amount of money and yesterday i got a final demand to pay by friday ,i dont have any money to give them nor will i ,any suggestions on what i can do

If you never instructed the claims company to work on your behalf then they have no rights to anything. However, if you did instruct them then you have to pay them.

However, you were never going to get any redress payment given your situation and the debt management company and claims company should have been aware of that. So, I suggest you complain formally to both companies. You could also complain to the MoJ as they rely on complaint volume against a company to act.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Definitely complain to the Debt Management Company as well as the ambulance chaser. Debt Management Companies are themselves covered by FOS and I think a modest award in respect of the "distress and inconvenience" caused is appropriate.

Refer the ambulance chaser to the Official Receiver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure